View RSS Feed

Awf1975

Hump day

Rate this Entry
by , August 8th, 2012 at 02:21 PM (573 Views)
Come Wednesday I usually feel like a bag of broken @ssholes.

Ran 4 miles without stretching. BIG mistake at my advanced age of 36. Did it in 38 min. Today, i just hurt. Feet hurt, prob need new shoes, feel tired, need more sleep, well you get the idea. the thought of swimming is appealing only because the water will be cold and refreshing!

More to come!!!!

Submit "Hump day" to Digg Submit "Hump day" to del.icio.us Submit "Hump day" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hump day" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Ran 4 miles without stretching. BIG mistake at my advanced age of 36. Did it in 38 min. Today, i just hurt. Feet hurt, prob need new shoes, feel tired, need more sleep, well you get the idea. the thought of swimming is appealing only because the water will be cold and refreshing!
    I run all the time without stretching prior. There's stories about when/how/what to stretch. But I've come to believe a gradual ramp-up is the best for me. I'll do about 2 minutes, starting at 3.5 mph or so, increase to 4.5 (a rather brisk walk) before I start my run.
    I do a bit of stretching and leg rolling after most runs, and I think that helps.

How old are the shoes? If you don't know, then time for new.
    my shoes are about 500 miles. they are falling apart. that is a good idea about the slow ramp up. I usually start at about a 10 min pace and then try to gut it out....
    Quote Originally Posted by Awf1975
    my shoes are about 500 miles. they are falling apart. that is a good idea about the slow ramp up. I usually start at about a 10 min pace and then try to gut it out....
    I generally retire shoes after 300-350 miles. Some people will sooner, some later. I think 500 is seriously pushing it. Depending how often you run (and how serious you are), you may want 2+ pairs so you can rotate.

When I'm on a tmill, once I start running, I usually do something around 6.5 to 6.8 and gradually increase throughout the run. Usually I'll finish around 8.0 mph or so.
    Its well worth going to a store that specializes in runnning shoes and having them match the shoes and orthodic to your feet and stride (matching to your pronation). My Saucony's with ortho cost about $150, which is maybe $50 more than at a good running shoe at Dick's where you have to pick and fit yourself (guess that works if you know what you are doing). I run in them on the track, street, tmill and race - think ill get two seasons out of them at about 200 mi per year.
    Good advice, thanks