View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 08/08/12: OW!

Rate this Entry
I made it down (with my son) to Quechee Lake in Canaan, NY, this evening and joined the Simon's Rock crew for another great OW swim. I think that the final count was 18 swimmers, ranging in age from teen to master, and we completed a 1.27 mile loop in the lake. It is one of the closer swims for me to drive to from Vermont, and even though the water quality was not the best that I have seen in the past, it was clear and I was able to spot some fish swimming around. There was some boat traffic, but since most in the pod are wearing the orange safety floats (as well as loud caps) and Freddy's wife joined us in a kayak we were safe. Even saw a really cool floating dock with two boats attached - looked like the party spot! Here is a Google maps track of the swim.

After the swim we went to the Backwater Grill for some nutrition - almost all of us made it. I was able to talk with my buddy Jon, who introduced me to this group and their Wednesday night swims a couple of years ago. He just completed the Lake Placid Ironman, his first at that distance. Great stuff.

I am still sore after the pellet moving madness on Monday - my hammies and buttocks are tight as well as my lower back. Made for an interesting twelve hours on my feet yesterday! Felt good to swim tonight, especially since the group is so friendly.

For the girls, tomorrow is the final day of clinic in Kenya, where they are now set up in Dandora, a slum on the outskirts of Nairobi. One member of the team is hospitalized and five more have symptoms of malaria, while most are exhausted as the two week medical mission trip comes to an end. It is hard to close up the clinics, as so many are in need of not only physical attention from the team but also the message of God's love that they share. Sometimes just a smile is enough to help a person know that they are loved, regardless of the language one speaks.

Submit "Workout 08/08/12: OW!" to Digg Submit "Workout 08/08/12: OW!" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 08/08/12: OW!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 08/08/12: OW!" to Google

Tags: berkshires, gho
Categories
Swim Workouts , Open Water

Comments

Best of luck to your family and their team in Kenya. Hope all ends up well for them.
    For the girls, tomorrow is the final day of clinic in Kenya, where they are now set up in Dandora, a slum on the outskirts of Nairobi. One member of the team is hospitalized and five more have symptoms of malaria, while most are exhausted as the two week medical mission trip comes to an end. It is hard to close up the clinics, as so many are in need of not only physical attention from the team but also the message of God's love that they share. Sometimes just a smile is enough to help a person know that they are loved,
    Great work by your girls and my thoughts and prayers for a safe, healty, return. and liked the lake swim report.
    Thanks guys. Clinic is now complete and they will start flying home tomorrow, getting back to Albany around 2pm on Saturday.
    It'll be really great to see them.
    Best wishes for a safe journey for them.

P.S. to last time - I got a sinus infection the very next day after leaving that post on your blog (I'm guessing from the N. Adams pool). What fun. Maybe I should've expressed more compassion about your wife's infection??? At least it only lasted 1 day.