View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Ambulatory but no AFAP, Tuesday, March 31

Rate this Entry
Well, it's been a rough 3 days with this cold/flu bug. Was supine most of the time. This is the first time I've gone 3 days without exercise in a loooong time. I usually rush back too quickly and possibly end up extending the illness. This time, I decided to try more rest. Feel better today, but still have a cough, some wheezing and no energy. Certainly throws a wrench in my "train like crazy for 3 weeks" plan. I think it'll take me a couple more days to fully recover. I despise being sick -- very common reaction, I'm sure. Upper back soreness is gone, but my shoulder feels twingey -- too much laying around!

Went to the pool for a short workout today. Oddly, when I'm under the weather, it's easier for me to kick than swim, so I did a lot of kicking.

SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 variety warm up

Kick sets:

20 x 25 UW back shooters w/nose clip + MF,
alternate pretty fast & easy speed

50 EZ

10 x 50 dolphin kick w/board
alternate pretty fast (:28ish) & easy

50 EZ

Modified Geek set:

3 x (3 x 50 @ 200 pace + 10 pullouts @ 1:10 + 2 x 50 EZ @ 1:10)

1-3, backstroke
4-6, IM order by 25s
7-9, backstroke kick
90 pull outs

Couldn't really do these at 200 pace. Not enough zip.

300 fartlek dolphin kick w/MF with 10-15 meter bursts (wanted to do more, but packed it in)

150 EZ

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More Cross Fit:

Heard reports of other swimmers trying Cross Fit workouts and feeling "dead" after. Here's a couple:

1:00 intervals, 3x thru 6 stations:

#1 rowing machine
#2 heavy bag*
#3 sit up station #1 with crunches & bicycles
#4 burpees
#5 bungee cord alternating fly/free pulls
#6 sit up station #2 with double leg lifts, single leg lifts and scissors

* Quick posted a Race Club thread last week, which noted that TRC does many boxing drills to help increase turnover in freestyle.

I wonder what the bungee cord is that is being used for station #5? Same as Ande's resistance bands or something else?

3 x thru

400 meter run
5 push ups, 10 sit ups, 15 squats

5 x for time of:

30 Glute-ham sit-ups
25 Back extensions

Not sure what a glute-ham sit up is ... Edit: Here it is: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnQB_jr2T-c"]YouTube - Glute ham sit ups[/ame].

I think Hulk called these roman sit ups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I notice a lot of people doing "chops" as part of their dryland/weight routine. Are these worth adding?

Submit "Ambulatory but no AFAP, Tuesday, March 31" to Digg Submit "Ambulatory but no AFAP, Tuesday, March 31" to del.icio.us Submit "Ambulatory but no AFAP, Tuesday, March 31" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ambulatory but no AFAP, Tuesday, March 31" to Google

Updated March 31st, 2009 at 09:59 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Glad you are feeling a bit better.

I think my wife decided to start lifting in part because of you blog. You are such a good influence.

As for chops, when you are done adding stuff to your workout, you probably won't have time for anything but working out
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Glad you are feeling a bit better.

I think my wife decided to start lifting in part because of you blog. You are such a good influence.

As for chops, when you are done adding stuff to your workout, you probably won't have time for anything but working out
    That's awesome about your wife! But Ahelee is still holding out ... or only sneaking in Cross Fit ...

I've gotten better about trying not to do TOO much in the gym. On weights, I've been trying to stick to a 4-5 exercises involving push, pull, squat, etc. I feel like I can mix it up on the core work though.