View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

400 IM Nazi

Rate this Entry
by , August 10th, 2012 at 09:58 PM (90 Views)
I must have angered the gods of the 400 IM by asking for more 400 LCM IMs than one masters man should be allowed because today's answer at the Pacific Masters Championships was, "No 400 IM for you!" ([nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J02RdkvI6zo"]Seinfeld - The Soup Nazi (The best scene ever!) - YouTube[/nomedia])

Now, to be fair to the exceptionally polite people of Pacific Masters swimming, everyone was beyond pleasant to me and my inability to race tonight was due to:

  1. The great turnout Pacific Masters garnered for the meet,
  2. My desire to be home tonight instead of spending another night away from my family

I had a break in the early afternoon from my work and went over to check out the timeline. Based upon my flight schedule, I would've needed to dive in for the IM around 5:45pm to have a "just-in-time" shot of making my flight out of SJC. Based upon my assessment a little before 2pm, the 1500s weren't going to finish until 4:45pm at the earliest. With heats of the 800 free relay and many heats of the 400 IM ahead of me, there was no way I was going to race tonight.

As I had a little bit of time until my next call, I jumped in the SCY warmup pool for 40 minutes and did this, my $18 drop-in workout:

  • 1 x 600: 300 free swim, 200 IM k/d, 100 free swim
  • 6 x 100: on 1:20, descend #1 to #5 (1:06 -> 0:59), # 6 easy
    • Threw in 1-2 OW sighting breaths per lap

  • 12 x 50: on 0:50, 3 each stroke going swim-kick, swim-drill, swim
  • 3 x 200: on 2:20, supposed to be descend free, but went too fast on #1 trying to pass the traffic and ascended (2:05, 2:08, easy)
  • 1 x 100: easy

TOTAL: 2,500 SCY

Commentary:

  • I had swum in the competition pool once before (http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=21847), but didn't jump in the warmup pool. I'm not sure if it was something I ate earlier in the day, but the warmup pool, while crystal clear, had the foulest-tasting water I've ever swum in (... and, yes, for you Arizonans, I mean worse than TTL). There was some sort of funky chemical + salt interaction going on that just tasted nasty. Naturally, I kept swimming!
  • My next swimming adventures will be of the open-water variety and I'm planning some really boring workouts (personally, not for the HVT) thread to try to get me ready for the Daily Double at www.ljrws.com in 4 weeks. Think interesting sets like 50 x 100, 25 x 200, 10 x 500, etc. and that's what I'm gearing myself up for.
  • Beyond the pool, I'm convinced that my exceptional lower-body tightness and (at-times-excruciating) lower back pain will be ameliorated if I get back into a routine of both core and yoga work, so I will endeavor to reacquaint myself with the fine instructors at Lifetime Fitness to make that happen.

Submit "400 IM Nazi" to Digg Submit "400 IM Nazi" to del.icio.us Submit "400 IM Nazi" to StumbleUpon Submit "400 IM Nazi" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. jaadams1's Avatar
    There was some sort of funky chemical + salt interaction going on that just tasted nasty. Naturally, I kept swimming
    Little did you know, that's probably related to this:
    [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21159"]Ryan Lochte #@*& in the pool!!! - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

    Nice workout as well, at the nice low discount price of just under $1 per 100 yards! It's too bad you didn't get to spank everyone in the 400 IM.
  2. aztimm's Avatar
    Too bad you didn't get to race

    I wonder if you had entered NT, or a bogus slow time if it would have helped


    Aren't you doing the Lake Pleasant swim on 8/25? I just assumed you were since you asked if I was. It will be my very first time in Lake Pleasant.
  3. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Aren't you doing the Lake Pleasant swim on 8/25? I just assumed you were since you asked if I was. It will be my very first time in Lake Pleasant.
    yes. I'll be there for the 4k for sure. I am contemplating doubling up with the 2k, as well, but think it might be a little too hot for 6k. Lake Pleasant usually lives up to its name, but I wonder how it'll feel in August.
  4. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Little did you know, that's probably related to this:
    Ryan Lochte #@*& in the pool!!! - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

    Nice workout as well, at the nice low discount price of just under $1 per 100 yards! It's too bad you didn't get to spank everyone in the 400 IM.
    Ha ha! I'm all in with Mr. Locate on pool-peeing, but this was something other than that.
  5. ourswimmer's Avatar
    Last heat of 400IM ended around 7:50pm. Sorry you did not get to swim, and sorry we did not meet up while warming up!

    Both pools are very salty. Because the salt just exacerbates chafing, my suit gave me a very studly (or whatever is the women's equivalent) hickey on my neck in the 1500m, even though I managed to squeak in under 20:00.
  6. qbrain's Avatar
    50 x 100, 25 x 200, 10 x 500
    Totally appropriate for the HVT thread. Those guys have had it too easy for too long, time to bring out the old college workouts like that one.
  7. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Totally appropriate for the HVT thread. Those guys have had it too easy for too long, time to bring out the old college workouts like that one.
    Even better than that, I'm going to dip into my old HS notebooks. The coach I had that started the summer of '83 was way more psycho-animal-lane than life at Texas. I was one of the few guys who got to Texas and had his overall workout volume drop!
  8. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    Last heat of 400IM ended around 7:50pm. Sorry you did not get to swim, and sorry we did not meet up while warming up!

    Both pools are very salty. Because the salt just exacerbates chafing, my suit gave me a very studly (or whatever is the women's equivalent) hickey on my neck in the 1500m, even though I managed to squeak in under 20:00.
    Wow. Doing anything after a 1500 during a meet is hard ... even the next day. That's impressive to have done the 1500-400 IM double.

    In the end, it was not that big a bummer that I didn't get to swim. I had my good race for the summer and can orient my energies towards open water.
  9. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Even better than that, I'm going to dip into my old HS notebooks. The coach I had that started the summer of '83 was way more psycho-animal-lane than life at Texas. I was one of the few guys who got to Texas and had his overall workout volume drop!
    That is actually disturbing.
  10. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Even better than that, I'm going to dip into my old HS notebooks. The coach I had that started the summer of '83 was way more psycho-animal-lane than life at Texas. I was one of the few guys who got to Texas and had his overall workout volume drop!
    What's this? The "I had to do it, now I'm gonna have all of you do it too" kind of thing?

    Let's see what you've got. But nothing past 4000 yards total please, or we'll just skip the best stuff.
  11. That Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    What's this? The "I had to do it, now I'm gonna have all of you do it too" kind of thing?

    Let's see what you've got. But nothing past 4000 yards total please, or we'll just skip the best stuff.
    nothing past 4000 yards? OK... to save pwb some time, here's the list of short workouts:
  12. ourswimmer's Avatar
    Some people did do both the 1500 and the 400 IM, but certainly not I! I just stayed to earn karma points (and avoid traffic) by timing
  13. pwb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    Some people did do both the 1500 and the 400 IM, but certainly not I! I just stayed to earn karma points (and avoid traffic) by timing
    A much smarter idea, indeed!
  14. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    nothing past 4000 yards? OK... to save pwb some time, here's the list of short workouts:
    It's more about availability of pool time that works for me. Can't skip my job since I haven't won the MegaMillions yet. Haven't won MegaMillions yet because I haven't yet bought a ticket for it.