View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Saturday, August 25, 2012 Gil Young Meet Results

Rate this Entry
Well, it was about as I had expected. Since I went into the meet with no expectations, I came out with the "no results" that I expected.
I was 80% sure earlier in the summer that I wouldn't even sign up for this event at the end of the summer on the pure fact that I know I'm not in shape for it at the end of summer. Well, on the final day of online entries I asked my wife if she wanted to go to Portland to visit the grandparents and my sister for the weekend (and let me swim on Saturday evening). At least I swam which was fun, even if it wasn't anywhere near my top performances.

Long Course Meters:

200 Free - 2:16.35 entry - went 2:17.21
This was probably my best overall swim of the day, because it was first. Still 3 seconds slower than start of summer.

100 Breast - 1:24.35 entry - went 1:26.40
This was 5 heats after the 200...I felt good for the dive, pullout, first 5 strokes, and then I needed the wall for my next pullout. Oh yeah, this isn't SCY! I died.

200 Medley Relay - We had 3 of us from our LMSC team - Hydropower Masters. We talked about doing a dedication relay in honor of Peony Munger who is my teammate who has been battling pancreatic cancer for the past year. Well....she's coming down to her final days now, and we swam this relay for her. A 4 x 50 Fly Relay. I know it's nothing compared to the miles and miles of butterfly workouts she's done over the past 6 years in masters workouts, but it was all about her. I ended up swimming the first and fourth legs of the relay, and Margaret Hair and Cynthia Clutter were my other two teammates for the relay. It was fun.

200 Back - entered 2:44.35 - went 2:45.38
Hmmmm...my vote for all time worst event ever in long course

100 Fly - entered 1:05.99 - went 1:06.78
semi pleased with this event. There was a good race next to me with Dennis Baker winning in low 1:03, and That Guy a 1:04 mid. Congrats to both of them!

200 IM - entered 2:33.35 - went 2:39.02
The only good part of this race was the final 50. Basically because I was almost done with my day! I looked right (my breathing side) and there was no one to race. I looked under the laneline to my left (with no breath) and saw my competition about 2 bodylengths ahead of me. Apparently this is impossible to do according to Rowdy Gaines in his Olympic coverage, but I had no problem seeing my competition on my non breathing side.
Well, about 15 meters from the end of the race I looked again and I was at the guy's hip, so I poured it on to the finish. Ended up touching him out my 0.2 seconds.

Glad the meet is over...I'm wiped out. Now it'll be time to relax, visit with family, and get to bed at some time. We're planning on driving to the Oregon coast tomorrow with the kids, getting lunch and stuff, and then returning the long drive home to Wenatchee. It'll be at least 9 hours of total driving tomorrow. And yes, I'll have my wife take over at some point of the drive!

And I'm glad LCM season is over for me. Bring back the short pools!! Oh crap! I have an OW event in 2 weeks.

Submit "Saturday, August 25, 2012 Gil Young Meet Results" to Digg Submit "Saturday, August 25, 2012 Gil Young Meet Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday, August 25, 2012 Gil Young Meet Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday, August 25, 2012 Gil Young Meet Results" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good job! 200 back can't be the worst event... 1500 of whatever you like the least has to take the cake
    Solid swimming!

Enjoy the time with your family. Make sure to check out Voodoo Doughnuts.
    If nothing else it was a good workout!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Exactly! A great HIT workout.

Bring on short course!!!
    James, your preamble commentary in this post foreshadowed slower swims; those were great times over a lot of events.

Oh, and I'll second the recommendation for Voodoo Donuts: get the one with bacon on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Good job! 200 back can't be the worst event... 1500 of whatever you like the least has to take the cake
    OK, anything long course longer the 200 backstroke, and still backstroke is worse than the 200 LCM Back.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Solid swimming!

Enjoy the time with your family. Make sure to check out Voodoo Doughnuts.
    We had a good weekend with the family. Got to visit with my grandparents, who are doing very well. Both in their mid 80s. Grandpa won't do masters swimming either, though he'd be fine for a few lengths of free and back.
    We skipped out on the beach trip since this weekend was also the "Hood to Coast" Relay run, and that makes for a not fun day at the coast for other folks. 12,000 competitors running! Portland Zoo was our family spot today, and it was fun.
    I had fun with the meet overall. Yes it was tiring, but I didn't worry too much. BTW...your 400 split of the 1500 would've just barely won the 400 Free on Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Exactly! A great HIT workout.

Bring on short course!!!
    It was a great HIT workout. I did give it my all for sure. I probably should've done the 50 Free and 50 Fly that day (rather than 200 back/100 Breast) to make it a true HIT day, but that's all good.

I'm definitely ready for the 25 yard/meters courses though!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    James, your preamble commentary in this post foreshadowed slower swims; those were great times over a lot of events.

Oh, and I'll second the recommendation for Voodoo Donuts: get the one with bacon on it.
    Well, I had to downplay it a little bit. Thanks Patrick. It wasn't my best day, and I honestly knew it wasn't going to be great going into it. Yeah, the goggles and cap breaking after the first event and going to the "lucky I had them" backup pair of goggles didn't help. But I would've swum no goggles if I had to. That would've been funny to watch for sure!
    Nice race! Especially considering how busy you've been with work lately, you did a great job!

Maybe we can gridge some LCM breaststroke next year. Especially if you're working crazy, and I actually train for it. Heck, maybe we can race each other at the Seattle IGLA games.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Nice race! Especially considering how busy you've been with work lately, you did a great job!

Maybe we can gridge some LCM breaststroke next year. Especially if you're working crazy, and I actually train for it. Heck, maybe we can race each other at the Seattle IGLA games.
    Thanks a lot Tim! Work is finally winding down now. I just happened to call the work hotline, and it looks like we're finally getting back into 8 hour shifts tomorrow! I've been pulling an average of 63 hours a week since the first week of June!

As for IGLA in Seattle (or Federal Way), I'll take a look at the daily event schedules and see what I can do about a "live dual" with you. We can even coordinate our seed times to be close to each other. I won't plan on doing all the days of the meet though...mainly for the reason that I'm not too keen on putting out a lot of $$$$ for overnight lodging unless absolutely necessary. I can get to/from Federal Way in under 3 hours.

As for now...I've got to get back to training someday so I can try to beat you to 500 miles for the year! (we won't even mention all the extra miles and miles of biking you do vs. the tv watching I do).
    This makes me happy:
    http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/heat....ane=5&Event=12
    I was able to post the fastest comeback 50 Free split at the end of the 200 IM over all competitors at the end of the day. I was hunting down the guy in Lane 3, and got him.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    This makes me happy:
    I was able to post the fastest comeback 50 Free split at the end of the 200 IM over all competitors at the end of the day. I was hunting down the guy in Lane 3, and got him.
    Good job! The 23 year old was fast. He smacked me around in the 100 free and the 100 back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    This makes me happy:
    34.26? Child's play
    http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=1897303
    Yeah yeah...I realize that you AVERAGED faster than that, but IMO, it is easier to pick up the pace when you're doing the same stroke like the end of a distance free race vs. an IM. Still...you win as far as the "I'm the best" award.
    I didn't average faster than that, but my last 50 was faster by a tenth. But I will admit it's a lot easier when you've just had it on cruise control for about 1000 meters.

Still...you win as far as the "I'm the best" award.
    Maybe I'll start using this for my new quote!
    I didn't average faster than that, but my last 50 was faster by a tenth. But I will admit it's a lot easier when you've just had it on cruise control for about 1000 meters.

Maybe I'll start using this for my new quote!
    So if my sig quotes knelson and knelson's sig quotes jaadams1, who should be quoted in jaadams1's sig? Just in case it's me, I offer the following:

"Ce n'est pas une citation intéressante." - That Guy
    I know you didn't average faster than that, but you are definitely in wayyy better shape than me, and LCM is more your style than mine as well.
    BTW, I was looking at my 200 Free splits from Gil Young, and I'm pretty sure you kicked my butt on your go-out split for your 1500 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    So if my sig quotes knelson and knelson's sig quotes jaadams1, who should be quoted in jaadams1's sig? Just in case it's me, I offer the following:

"Ce n'est pas une citation intéressante." - That Guy
    Hmmmm... I'm going to guess (without using a translation tool) that the quote is something along the lines of:
    "This is an intersesting quote"
    Am I close?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast