View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 08/31/12:

Rate this Entry
Ah, finally back to some water. This marks my second trip to a pool (with 3 OW swims), so August was not very active in the Green Mountains. It has been a time of relaxation that I will dub "recovery" to make myself feel better.

Anyways, not too exciting today ...

200 FR/200 IM Drill w/u

400 FR
200 kick
200 drills FR
200 drills stroke
4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR
200 DPS fly stuff (thinking of That Guy's helps)
100 float
(Solo/Hoosick Falls/1900yds/40 min)
------------------------------------

So marks the end of the outdoor pool over in Hoosick Falls. Is was my first time in an outdoor pool since high school in the 90's, when we would swim meets in Manchester, Rutland, Burlington, Springfield, and Brattleboro, VT, as well as Charleston and Walpool, NH. They used to have the VT Summer meet outdoors in Vergennes, which was a great meet because in '86 they started to park a Ben and Jerry's ice cream truck in the parking lot, fueling us little ones on Mint Oreo Cookie (my favorite: ), and my folks would stop at the A&W just south of Middlebury on the way home. I am happy to report that swimming still involves dining for me to this day.

As I was saying, today was the last day of swimming at HF. Latest word on the Rec Center in town is ok I suppose: our local indoor pool has been closed since the first of July for rebuilding of the pool wall, and that construction appears to be complete. A friend mentioned that the planned reopening is not this coming week but the following, so that is a bummer. I still have some OW possibilities that are open, so I will just keep taking it easy until the Rec reopens and I can refocus for the short course season(s) to come.

I am also dabbling with some ideas towards taking a more central role in the Masters program in town, as in coaching. It would involve giving up some of my own swimming time , but I would really like to see not only the training but also competition side of things increase. We are a workout group under the New England Masters umbrella, and I am thinking of introducing a new team name and logo (the Bennington Area Master's Comets isn't doing it for me). I am thinking Monument Masters (an ode to our beloved Bennington Battle Monument), or the other option is to branch out from the Age Group team in town. Anyone have any thoughts of either option?

Submit "Workout 08/31/12:" to Digg Submit "Workout 08/31/12:" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 08/31/12:" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 08/31/12:" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Due to a recent change in "employment status," I'll be free on Saturdays now - so I've been planning on trying the master's workout. Great to hear you're thinking about coaching. That would be even more of a reason to go, so hopefully you decide to do it.

"Monument Masters" has a nice ring to it.

No Benn. pool till next week, eh? Bummer indeed. I did try a bit of an OW swim yesterday - swam out 1/2 hour to a dock on Lake Raponda then swam back, with my sister and her family in a canoe alongside. A bit disorienting after swimming for 40 years always with lane lines and black stripes on the bottom and a wall every 25 yards. But it was a neat feeling, too. I'd be up for another, so keep me in mind if your schedule allows in this week before the rec pool reopens. (But don't let me mess up your "recovery" now!)
    That is a bummer, Greg. At least there are some positives there, even if they only help with the swimming carrer.

I'll keep you updated on any Masters stuff, but the pool will open again on the 10th.

No Benn. pool till next week, eh? Bummer indeed. I did try a bit of an OW swim yesterday - swam out 1/2 hour to a dock on Lake Raponda then swam back, with my sister and her family in a canoe alongside. A bit disorienting after swimming for 40 years always with lane lines and black stripes on the bottom and a wall every 25 yards. But it was a neat feeling, too. I'd be up for another, so keep me in mind if your schedule allows in this week before the rec pool reopens. (But don't let me mess up your "recovery" now!)
    I was thinking of hitting Harriman again or ever Somerset, for a mile or two. I'll email you with some options and see if we can make something happen. I hope to get down to the Berkshires Wednesday evening - need to find out the details first ...
    Updated September 5th, 2012 at 12:07 AM by rxleakem
    Sounds good. Did another short swim in the lake on Monday - getting the hang of it...