View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Uncharted territory: 100 LCM Free

Rate this Entry
by , September 2nd, 2012 at 08:55 AM (774 Views)
This is the last weekend in purgatory. I am making the best of our time away from Baylor and SCM noon workouts. Yesterday and today i'm swimming LCM workouts at SMU.

I decided to have a good positive attitude about the workout's main focus of 3 x 100s. While my attention span and internal clock are set to under :30, I made the most of it and tried my best!

Here is what we did yesterday:

800 warm up
200 swim/pull/kick/swim
==>no. 800 was too much for me. I stopped at 600 and goofed around in the corner.

8 x 50 on 1:00 kick/drill
I used my Speedo optimus fins. Drill was alternating scull or 1 arm; other arm at the side.

5 x 100's on your lane's interval plus 15
(fastest lane started at 1:40; our lane rounded up to 2:00)
slow
medium
FAST
medium
slow

1:35, 1:25, 1:11, 1:25, 1:35

QUESTION: is 1:11 a good time?

2 x 200 pull
==>no. I walked to the deep end and did 2 x DIVES PLUS BREAKOUTS

3 x 100 on same interval above
slow
medium
FAST

1:30, 1:25, 1:11

QUESTION: same question.

6 x 50 on :55 recovery

1 x 100 all out

1:08 high according to coach. I would have said 1:09 flat so that makes sense.

QUESTION: is this a good time? I think it's solid, given I never swim a fast 100 LCM, and I haven't swum it in a meet since USMS Nationals, LCM in 1998 (and I did a 1:02 at that meet). If I even split, that 34.5s. Assuming that I didn't, then I would say a 32, 36 split seems reasonable. I doubt I went out any faster than a 32, maybe 31, but I could not have come home any slower than 36 or 37, which sounds quite good to me from a push 100.

I think my goal is to go 1:05 or even under in workout. That would mean a 30 or 31 but doing it with less effort, then coming back in 33 to 35. That seems a very reasonable and doable time with more LCM and comfort for a full 100.

But do I really care? Only if I decided to actually swim the 100 in a meet. It may be my bonus event, so maybe I should add it to the list.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Today I am not sure what will happen. I think there is some group that is going to be doing a 10k overlapping our workout, so I am resigned to squashed lanes and not doing what I want. I am prepared to just slog through yardarge, as there is no other swim option today (and doin' that 10k isn't one of them!!) and there's no workout tomorrow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Should I do another full cycle of P90X or just order stupid Insanity now and stop talking about it? What is the meaning of life? How much do I need for retirement? Such are the questions I ask myself these days.

Submit "Uncharted territory: 100 LCM Free" to Digg Submit "Uncharted territory: 100 LCM Free" to del.icio.us Submit "Uncharted territory: 100 LCM Free" to StumbleUpon Submit "Uncharted territory: 100 LCM Free" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

QUESTION: is 1:11 a good time?
    LCM, in practice, from a push; heck yes that is a good time.

I think my goal is to go 1:05 or even under in workout.
    you go girl!
    I figure a 1:08 is pretty close to a 1:00 in short course yards--but often more painful!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    LCM, in practice, from a push; heck yes that is a good time.

you go girl!
    Thank you! It just feels...inefficient. I'm not used to that whole turn around and come back the way I came nonsense. tee hee!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I figure a 1:08 is pretty close to a 1:00 in short course yards--but often more painful!
    I don't swim SCY, but a 00 sounds crappy for a fast 100. Then again, it might make a big difference not in the distance, but if there are turns. SCM my best has been 1:06 lately, so I guess a 1:08 high 1:09 is pretty in-line.

It is just so hard to keep GOING fast the entire way!