View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

One fast 50 free

Rate this Entry
by , September 3rd, 2012 at 11:31 AM (713 Views)
Sunday, 09/02/12
LCM, SMU Outdoor pool

I was feeling somewhat tired after the previous day's 3 x 100 fast effort. Although the main set was a good one for me, I didn't think it was a good one considering I had only one good 50 in me!

500 warm up
==>petered out at 400 and goofed off in the corner again.

12 x 50 kick on 1:00
odds smooth
evens 25 fast/25 easy
Speedo optimus fins

100/200/300/200/100 pull
==>that would be a huge no. i went to the diving well and did:

4 x "25s" % increase
4 x "25s" variables
4 x running dives
easy swims

then came back 1/2 way thru the main set of

12 x 50's, some easy some sprint

there was an empty lane, as the 10k people had just finished, so I took it. I did

3 x DIVES up to 25m

and then did a

FAST 50
on coach's watch

Commentary: that did not feel so unpleasant. Knowing I was doing just one, with a coach starting me and using the stopwatch really helped. Sprinting more free has really helped, but I could have just as easily sat down in a lounge chair or taken a nap, so I wasn't really raring to go, but I made myself get up and go, like taking my medicine. I was pleased with my breath control (3 breaths) and that made a big difference in not thrashing at the end. But, again, it isn't a very fast time. It wasn't very inspired, either, just takin' care of business and coming down the pike at a good clip. I think I should target 28 mid for 50's done this way. And by that I mean my baseline, any-Sunday fast 50 time...that would ultimately put me in the mid to low/under 27 in meets. As the USA cut times get faster, I really need to get a stairstep faster!

Later: Did Back & Biceps X and Ab Ripper X. I substitute most of the back exercises for my swim bench.

Today: No swimming on Labor Day. I'll take a walk and do CoreX and my own stretching.

HOORAY! Baylor should be open tomorrow. Finally, back to clean fluffly towels and good shower pressure!

Submit "One fast 50 free" to Digg Submit "One fast 50 free" to del.icio.us Submit "One fast 50 free" to StumbleUpon Submit "One fast 50 free" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That was quite a workout yesterday. And, yes, I thought your 100 times were very good! And personally I would happy to lay down a 29.7 in practice as well. Glad your pool is re-opening!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That was quite a workout yesterday. And, yes, I thought your 100 times were very good! And personally I would happy to lay down a 29.7 in practice as well. Glad your pool is re-opening!
    Thank you! I printed one of your recent weeks of HIT training to do some of the sets. I forget which week, but the entire week was excellent.

I find it very difficult to recover in LCM. While many people can do 5 workouts, every workout, never skip sets....I have to really be careful not to cross over to the dark side! That is the biggest area of where I can tell my "aging". I don't think my race pace has suffered that much, but getting there and staying there is such a fine art now - and mainly 2 factors - recovery is huge. probably #1 of all. I have to be so careful not to overdo it and really back off, and often. and the next is to actually get up to race pace, putting myself out there on a coach's watch. We've read ad nasueum about how many times Popov used to get up and do all out sprints in workouts - but we rarely do in a coached setting. So I have to really pick and chose and make the effort and not "at some point this season..." A lot of your sprinty mix ideas would actually be good conditioning for me. IF you do it with GREAT EFFORT!

Hope all is well! PS - great picture of you on the swim mag cover!!!