View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, April 2

Rate this Entry
PM Swim/SCY/Solo:

Did a variation of a workout JMiller recently posted. Sprint workouts are sometimes very time consuming with the mega rest intervals and slow recovery swimming ... Still coughing, colds always make me feel like I have no lung capacity.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Aerobic sets:

3 x 200 cruiser free w/snorkel

Took me awhile to get used to the dorkel, but I could eventually flip with it. Can't streamline with the darn thing though.

12 x 50 @ 1:00
rolling IM order by 25s

50 EZ

Speed work:

6 x (25 AFAP flutter kick w/fins + 50 EZ)

Tried the first 2 25s with the snorkel. It actually made me slower. I was freaked out by the ability to breath on a 25, so I took it off.

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP free w/fins + 50 EZ)

50 EZ

2 x (50 AFAP backstroke w/ nose clip + 100 EZ)

Went 25-25.5ish. Went past the 15 meter mark with the nose clip on.

100 EZ

Total: 3400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nose clip:

Did anyone notice that Tyler Clary wore a nose clip in his 200 back at the NCAAs? Ahelee and I were thinking it looked like a real "clamp." Wish I knew what kind he was wearing. Mine stayed put today, but I didn't do any backstroke starts. I just can't seem to get them tight enough. I'm going to order some more of the speedo and tyr competition ones. I might take a wrench to one of them and see what happens. lol

Bowflex?

I'm a little worried about weights next week as I'll be in Tucson away from my gym. My mother has a bowflex machine. Never used one. Are they any good? Can you do a variety of exercises on them? Not sure about the Y near her house either.

Shoulder Exercise:

A friend passed along an RC exercise I thought I'd share:

Lie on a yoga ball facing the floor. Pull your shoulder blades together and extend your arms to the side. While keeping the shoulder blades squeezed, turn hands so that thumbs face up and make small chopping motions seven times while moving towards hips and then 7 times back towards head. Turn hands flat and do 7 reps down and back and then turn hands so that thumbs face down and do 7 more reps down and back. Do 5 sets of these. The hard part is keeping those shoulder blades together but it's great for building up those little muscle that keep your shoulder working correctly.

Weight Lifting Gloves:

Tim mentioned that Harbinger gloves were very good.

But which of these would be right?

http://www.bigfitness.com/gloves.html

Submit "Thursday, April 2" to Digg Submit "Thursday, April 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, April 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, April 2" to Google

Updated April 2nd, 2009 at 05:47 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Leslie,

Wow, you're doing an impressive job with your blog. Sorry to hear about the cold, that's difficult, but keep up the good swimming/writing!
    You going to be able to swim with the Masters' team @ U of A while you're in Tucson?
    Quote Originally Posted by JMiller
    Leslie,

Wow, you're doing an impressive job with your blog. Sorry to hear about the cold, that's difficult, but keep up the good swimming/writing!
    Thanks Jonathan. I'm almost better now. First time I've been sick in ages, fortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    You going to be able to swim with the Masters' team @ U of A while you're in Tucson?
    Haven't made any plans yet. Might. Could you please send me the link to that again, if you have it and it's not too much trouble?

There's also a masters team that swims from 5-7 at the Y near my mom. I'll probably try to squeeze workouts in when convenient. I don't want her thinking I'm too much of a workout psycho!

BTW, I checked out the AZ results. Some very fast swimming. A lot of fast 200 backstrokers. Still trying to figure out how my competition takes their 200 backstroke out in a time that's nearly equivalent or better than their open 100 back time? I could never do that. Must be some slow twitch gift.
    What I've heard about Bowflex has been negative.

In any city you can call around to gyms and ask for a one-day membership. Just say you're visiting town and you want to work out. Personally I would also ask stuff about the existence of squat racks, how heavy the dumbbells go (over 100 is a good indicator of a serious gym), and maybe what brands of strength machines they have (love Hammer Strength).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    What I've heard about Bowflex has been negative.

In any city you can call around to gyms and ask for a one-day membership. Just say you're visiting town and you want to work out. Personally I would also ask stuff about the existence of squat racks, how heavy the dumbbells go (over 100 is a good indicator of a serious gym), and maybe what brands of strength machines they have (love Hammer Strength).
    Yeah, this "all exercises in one machine" concept seems wrong on its face ...

I didn't realize gyms give one day memberships ... Mine definitely doesn't. The Hammer machines do seem great.

Any idea which of those gloves on the link above might work best?
    Updated April 2nd, 2009 at 05:48 PM by The Fortress
    No idea on the gloves. I would try them on.

When ande says "bands" I think he really means "bowflex".
    No idea about gloves. I don't use them, although I've been thinking about it. My brother always wears gloves for chin-ups and deadlifts.
    Hi Fort!
    Thanks for posting the great rc exercise, I'm gonna try it tonight.
    One of my kids had a teacher/football coach that loved his bowflex machine. I have never used one, I think the problem would be knowing how to move the bands around to accomodate the various exercises....it looks too complicated to me. I would also worry the bands would lose their resilience and snap on me
    I would try the YMCA if I were you. All Ymca's have reciprocating memberships for out of state members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Hi Fort!
    Thanks for posting the great rc exercise, I'm gonna try it tonight.
    One of my kids had a teacher/football coach that loved his bowflex machine. I have never used one, I think the problem would be knowing how to move the bands around to accomodate the various exercises....it looks too complicated to me. I would also worry the bands would lose their resilience and snap on me
    I would try the YMCA if I were you. All Ymca's have reciprocating memberships for out of state members.
    If a machine is too complicated, that definitely dissuades me from using it.

I don't have a Y membership. But they usually have a per visit fee or a one week membership. At least that's what I did last summer when I was on vacation.

Hope the shoulder exercise helps. I need to try it myself.
    Most Gold's gyms have a one day or one week membership deal. I use them when I go to the beach. Check out http://www.goldsgym.com/locator/state_locator.php

There are 3 in Tucson.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Most Gold's gyms have a one day or one week membership deal. I use them when I go to the beach. Check out http://www.goldsgym.com/locator/state_locator.php

There are 3 in Tucson.
    Great idea! I'll check on whether one is near.
    I think these look OK. You don't need a big expense just something to help keep skin soft. Too much bulk in the palm is no good either...

http://www.bigfitness.com/liglwopogl.html
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    I think these look OK. You don't need a big expense just something to help keep skin soft. Too much bulk in the palm is no good either...

http://www.bigfitness.com/liglwopogl.html
    Thanks, Stud!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    their 200 backstroke out in a time that's nearly equivalent or better than their open 100 back time? I could never do that. Must be some slow twitch gift.
    As a slow twitch person, this is more a curse than gift. It can be really annoying to do the same time in your 100 fly than you did in the 100 fly split of your 400 IM.