View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Masters Practice w/Teen Fort, Tuesday, Sept. 4

Rate this Entry
by , September 4th, 2012 at 11:17 PM (1571 Views)
Drylands:

rehab exercises, 25-30 min
leg abductor, 120 x 4 x 8
adductors, 100 x 4 x 8
good mornings, 70 x 4 x 8
explosive leg press, 190 x 4 x 10
wide grip lat pulldown, 40 x 2 x 25
total ab machine, 110 x 3 x 20
captains chair leg raises, 3 x 20
power wheel roll outs, 2 x 25
knee tuck jumps, 10
altitude drops, 10

Yoga/Stretching, 30 min

Acupuncture, 40 min

Swim/SCY @ GMU w/ Teen Fort

Warm up:

We were a few minutes late. 1300 something was assigned. I did about 800. Shared a lane with Teen Fort and Barb.

Main Sets:

8 x 100 kick w/fins
1-4, first 25 = shooter @ 1:50 (held 1:01-02)
5-8, first 25 = dolphin kick on back @ 1:40 (held 1:00s)
50 EZ

12 x 75 IM @ 1:15
-- I used fins
1-4 = no fly
5-8 = no back
9-12 = no breast
100 EZ

15 squat jumps off bottom of pool in deep end

3 x relays, each person does AFAP 25
1 = fly kick UW
2 = free
3 = breast pullouts UW
50 EZ

500 pull
-->> no! I'm not even using paddles bc of elbows
instead:
8 x 50 kick w/fins & board @ :55-1:00
odds = EZ
evens = 25 fast flutter kick (11s) + 25 EZ
100 EZ

Total: 3300

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Whew, busy day.

1. Teen Fort is trying masters practices in conjunction with sculling this Fall. It was beyond strange doing a masters practice in the same lane as my daughter. She is used to swimming at most 1-2 x per week 1500 yd solo workouts. But she liked Cheryl's (always very good) workout and will try to make some Patriot Masters practices this fall. I may try to tag along on some Sunday mornings.

2. Teen Fort expressed interest in attending the Rowdy Gaines meet in Orlando in mid-October (eyeing TTs in evilstroke & IM). I need to check the exact dates. I hope it's 2 weeks before the Sprint Classic. Could be a go. But I'd still want to attend NE Champs in Dec. as a SCM taper meet. I may need spousal clearance for 2 fall travel meets.

3. The gym is more boring without being able to use your arms. In fact, it's hard to do much of anything without using the elbows. My prickly right elbow feels ever so slightly better after my 4th acupuncture session today. What a tedious slow healing injury.

4. Met with my thyroid doc today. I'm squarely in the mid-range. However, my RBC magnesium is really low again. Had to get an injection. I'm supposed to double my dose and take it am and pm now. I was already at 700 mg. I guess my body doesn't like to absorb magnesium.

5. I actually did an aerobic workout. Ta-da! 2 back to back sets is a lot for me. I felt pretty fried after the IM set ... was not enthusiastic about the squat jumps. Back to speed!

6. Fort Son is driving to college tomorrow am.

Submit "Masters Practice w/Teen Fort, Tuesday, Sept. 4" to Digg Submit "Masters Practice w/Teen Fort, Tuesday, Sept. 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Masters Practice w/Teen Fort, Tuesday, Sept. 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Masters Practice w/Teen Fort, Tuesday, Sept. 4" to Google

Comments

It was beyond strange doing a masters practice in the same lane as my daughter.
    yea, you may want to go in different lanes if you're going to the same workout.

I swam with a mother-son duo in the same lane once, and it was very awkward. it got to the point where the son did workouts at Skyline while his mother went to Kino.

I tried running with my brother once, and decided that working out with family just doesn't work for me. my other half and I tried to run once and lift once, and again, we decided it wasn't for us.

so that New England meet is Dec 8-9? I'm planning to go again, and the airfare is only $220 right now. I checked their website and didn't see the meet listed yet.
    Teen Fort expressed interest in attending the Rowdy Gaines meet in Orlando in mid-October (eyeing TTs in evilstroke & IM
    Did she do this on her own, or was there a little help by momma on this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    yea, you may want to go in different lanes if you're going to the same workout.

I swam with a mother-son duo in the same lane once, and it was very awkward. it got to the point where the son did workouts at Skyline while his mother went to Kino.

I tried running with my brother once, and decided that working out with family just doesn't work for me. my other half and I tried to run once and lift once, and again, we decided it wasn't for us.

so that New England meet is Dec 8-9? I'm planning to go again, and the airfare is only $220 right now. I checked their website and didn't see the meet listed yet.
    Well, I don't plan on attending many masters practices bc of Lil Fort's schedule. I just went to the first one with Teen Fort. It is a little awkward with us both competing. Fortunately, she's an evilstroker so has a different specialty than me.

I saw that NE Champs were a week earlier this year. Is Great Bay Masters hosting again? I don't think the meet info was posted this early last year either. I'm definitely going. That's my mid-year visit to see Swim Stud!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Did she do this on her own, or was there a little help by momma on this one?
    She had already looked up TT times in her age group in the 3 different courses. I did mention the Rowdy Gaines meet. I've always wanted to attend. And there are 25s this year!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I saw that NE Champs were a week earlier this year. Is Great Bay Masters hosting again? I don't think the meet info was posted this early last year either. I'm definitely going. That's my mid-year visit to see Swim Stud!
    http://scmchamps.blogspot.com/

The dates are confirmed, but meet info most likely won't post until late October or early November. I believe they mix up the order of events from year to year, but there is usually enough time between events to have a good selection.

Tim - if you and Stud are gridging the 200 br, I'll join in as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    http://scmchamps.blogspot.com/

The dates are confirmed, but meet info most likely won't post until late October or early November. I believe they mix up the order of events from year to year, but there is usually enough time between events to have a good selection.

Tim - if you and Stud are gridging the 200 br, I'll join in as well.
    '

Thanks Mike. Still wish they'd post meet info earlier. Easier to coordinate events with other meets that way. See you there!
    I would love love love to practice with you and do relays!!!!!! We could have an all-relay workout!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I would love love love to practice with you and do relays!!!!!! We could have an all-relay workout!!!!!
    Coach Cheryl said relays are one of the only ways she can get people to take enough time between AFAP efforts.
    You should totally go to the Rowdy Gaines meet (Oct 13/14) - I'll be there!! And then we're going to Universal (Saturday) to see Harry Potter again that afternoon!
    I love it when we do relays at practice - can't get enough of them - except when they are "endless" relays - then I can't wait for them to end!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    You should totally go to the Rowdy Gaines meet (Oct 13/14) - I'll be there!! And then we're going to Universal (Saturday) to see Harry Potter again that afternoon!
    I love it when we do relays at practice - can't get enough of them - except when they are "endless" relays - then I can't wait for them to end!
    I'd really like to ... it's just so hard getting away as it is with kid events and life. Not sure I can swing both Rowdy Gaines and NE Champs. We're also in the process of renovating a house -- a huge $$$ drain.

I want to see Harry Potter!!!