View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
First workout with my new age group team, Velocity Swimming in Wenatchee.
I was very well accepted into the group by the kids today, and ended up having a great workout with them. It wasn't super intense, but the two hours of workout was about double what I've been used to, and we did a hell of a lot more kick than I've done in the last 3 months (all in two hours!!) I'm sure the kicking will be good for me later. The only I'm going to do, is for the 8 swimmers in the lane, and 4-5 of them should've been in a different lane based on speed of the group. Problem is the lane space just isn't available with the multiple groups out there. Oh well, we get what we get, and we'll make the best of it. I'm at the top of the group, basically tied with the top swimmer on the team. He by far kicks my butt in breaststroke, but everything else he needs to work harder. I'm sure a little of my work ethic will rub off on him soon.

Warmup:

6 x 200
Odds Free @ 3:00
Evens IM @ 3:30

-------------

4 x 200 Fly (50 SDK on back, 50 Swim) @ 3:30
  • this was just hell with 8 in a lane. Imagine coming up on the lapped swimmers while you're doing fly, and they're doing SDK on back. Now try breathing while avoiding everyone else. It was pretty much every man for himself tonight.
We "toned it down a bit" here to ease up on the chaos...

4 x 200 Back (50 Kick/50 Swim) @ 4:00

4 x 200 Breast (50 Kick/50 Swim) @ 4:30ish I think
I had fun chasing after the fast kid in this. My breaststroke will get better for sure.

6 x 200 IM (25 Kick/25 Swim) @ LIFO "last in, first out"

6 x 25 Dive Sprints from the blocks, and walk back around on deck.
This honestly was the hardest part of the day (aside from going wayyyyyy past my normal 1 hour workouts)

50 EZ

-----------------------------
5000 Yards

Not a lot, but it is the 1st day back, and was pretty low key. It was good for me as I want to ease my way back up in time swum, and then start bringing back the intensity.

Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

strategically using DPS fly is a good way to avoid collisions. If you know you're about to hit someone on your next recovery, kick and glide so that you miss them.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    strategically using DPS fly is a good way to avoid collisions. If you know you're about to hit someone on your next recovery, kick and glide so that you miss them.
    I'm guessing you haven't been to an age group practice in a while.

The waves were intense. 8 per lane in all lanes, and when everyone is doing fly or SDK on back at the same time...it's just nuts. They're no time to think about "do I do 1 arm, 2 arms, DPS (NO), or duck!". You honestly are just concerned with just getting a breath that has mostly air in it as opposed to 100% chlorine water.

Other days will be better. We just had lots of the groups in the pool at the same time...and other days we will get the whole pool to spread out, or at least more lanes.
    First workout with my new age group team
    Well this should be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Well this should be interesting.
    Why? It's not like it's a struggle. You should try it to find out interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Why? It's not like it's a struggle. You should try it to find out interesting.
    There's more to swim workouts than just swimming. We did joint age group + masters workouts a couple summers ago, and it certainly was interesting swimming with the kids. Like you said, not all are super fast and even I was able to swim with some.
    But throwing an adult in the lane really changed their dynamics. After a week or 2 you should start to hear about it.

If you keep up doing these workouts regularly, you'll easily pass me in GTD in a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    If you keep up doing these workouts regularly, you'll easily pass me in GTD in a few weeks.
    The entire reason for my efforts.

I don't think we'll be having any problems with the kids/parents at all though. They pretty much all knew me in advance.
    Good for you. If your results are anything like the impact knelson's training with the kids program had, people in the TT better watch out!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Good for you. If your results are anything like the impact knelson's training with the kids program had, people in the TT better watch out!
    KNelson had better watch out as well!

This should be a good year for sure.