View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
Well...I decided to go back for more. I ended up being the lane leader for the entire workout tonight. The other fast guy in the group was a no show tonight, but I still had a lot of young guns keeping me honest.

Warmup:

800 Free w/ every 3rd length non-free (did back)
300 Kick w/ board, every 4th length dolphin
6 x 150 Free Pull @ 2:00 (went 1:45s to start, last 2 1:43/1:42)

...that was warmup. I'm used to about 500 warmup and getting right to it. In the 'olden days' that pull part would've been my main set. Now, it's time to figure out if:
  • A) Keep going and like it
  • B) Call the bank to make a stop payment on my deposit
  • C) like a baby
  • D)
Coach gave us the "main set":

2 Rounds of:
  • 300 Free cruise @ 4:30
  • 4 x 100 IMs @ 1:30 (originally was going to be 1:20s, but no way)
  • 2 x 200 IM @ 3:00 (also supposed to be 2:45s)
  • 1 x 400 IM best effort
  • 50 EZ and back for round 2
The 100s I was holding 1:20-1:22s, 200s about 2:44s
First 400 was 5:15, 2nd one was 5:26 UGH
That's what you get for a best effort at the end of 5K yards!

10 x 50 Kick w/ fins @ 1:00 Odds dolphin, Evens Free
cramped on #2 - like I told the coach I would. Made 8 of them.

200 EZ and out.

------------------
5700 Yards for me. Not bad. I'm actually tired tonight. And I'm losing a little weight too with this increased workload (as well as eating up the GTD deficit that I have). Gonna have to start eating more Taco Bell now!

Our team is an IM based team, which I do prefer as opposed to the freestyle based teams. For age group swimming, I think IM base is the best way to go, to build a strong all around swimmer, and let them specialize later in college, etc. At least this will be great for my 200 Fly/400 IMs and beyond.

Oh, and the answer to my question above: Both A & C

Submit "Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Updated September 6th, 2012 at 01:49 AM by jaadams1

Categories
Swim Workouts , Daily Practices

Comments

That's a great main set. I've got to remember to try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's a great main set. I've got to remember to try it.
    Greatness is in the eye of the beholder! It all depends on how you're feeling to do this one, as well as where it is yardage-wise in the workout. Doing a 3000 yard main set after 2000 already done was tough...especially when I'm only used to doing 3000 yard COMPLETE workouts. I'll get the hang of this 'young kid' stuff soon.
    Excellent job! How do you stay patient for the entire workout? Is it really fun for you? No matter what I do, I am ready to hit the showers at the 1 hour mark. Clearly you have excellent conditioning. You are ready to max out at any meet and get your 10 events' worth in.

Taco Bell? I always thought of that as a D list fast fooder, but perhaps I just haven't been in years and don't know what I am missing. What's the best value? Do they have their version of Dollar Value or 99 cent value items?
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Excellent job! How do you stay patient for the entire workout? Is it really fun for you? No matter what I do, I am ready to hit the showers at the 1 hour mark. Clearly you have excellent conditioning. You are ready to max out at any meet and get your 10 events' worth in.

Taco Bell? I always thought of that as a D list fast fooder, but perhaps I just haven't been in years and don't know what I am missing. What's the best value? Do they have their version of Dollar Value or 99 cent value items?
    I'm just having fun. I love to train is the #1 thing, but it's hard to do so solo. I get bored and find it hard to get past 1 hour/3000 yards by myself. With a coach on deck, and others doing the workout, it's "fun".
    Believe me...after about an hour and a half...I'm pretty well done, but I finish it. The kids do look up to me, and I don't want to show them that quitting is the easy way out.

As for Taco Bell...whatever is good. I just get cheap stuff, and it was on the way home last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I'm just having fun. I love to train is the #1 thing, but it's hard to do so solo. I get bored and find it hard to get past 1 hour/3000 yards by myself. With a coach on deck, and others doing the workout, it's "fun".
    I am with you on that, I often struggle to stay motivated when I swim solo! Swimming with other people makes a workout much more enjoyable and often pushes me to work harder. I also enjoy having someone else make up the workout, it is sometimes nice to not know the evil set that is just around the corner, but I even find that my own workouts are much more fun when I do them with someone else.

The kids do look up to me, and I don't want to show them that quitting is the easy way out.
    Excellent attitude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bragging jaadams1 yesterday
    Why? It's not like it's a struggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by a humbler jaadams1 today
    C) like a baby
    Quote Originally Posted by oracle qbrain yesterday
    Well this should be interesting.
    Yes, Interesting indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    The kids do look up to me
    As long as they aren't looking down at you--lying face down on the bottom of the pool--then you are doing OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Yes, Interesting indeed.
    Thanks guys. Part 3 will be later tonight.