View RSS Feed

Chicken's Nuggets

Sardines on Toast

Rate this Entry
Chicago's annual Big Shoulders 5 and 2.5km swims were held last Saturday. Every year I promise myself two things for the next year:

1. never to swim it again because, well, why would I pay to swim in Lake Michigan; and
2. if I break promise 1, only enter the 2.5k, which would give me time to smugly watch other people finishing after myself (hopefully).

Both promises broken, I headed to the starting line at an obscene hour on race morning. The weather had been a bit dodgy leading up to the race, and the organisers had warned of potentially rough conditions. The water turned out to be not too bad, though, and I was pleasantly surprised. Actually, not pleasantly surprised because I like it rough! There was a smallish swell that was nice and regular and some surface chop, but nothing too slappy or random. The water was very murky, which I like, because because the only sandy bottom I want to see when swimming does not belong to the lake.

As usual, I ended up placing in the bottom half of my age group. I took a huge kick to the left boob when the guy in front of me decided to suddenly change to breaststroke going around the 2nd turn buoy. For identification purposes, I noted he had on a full wetsuit and (non adventure style) beard. Couldn't find him on the beach afterwards though. My right shoulder hurt like a b%^& the whole time, but I swam in lovely straight lines, mostly in the right direction.

The best thing about the swim, though, was my sardine suit. Here 'tis:

Here's a sardine:

Here's me and some other swimmers being lapped by the elite wave:

It looks like some of us got stuck in their teeth.

Here's a recipe for sardines on toast, which I may or may not try:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/altons-sh...deo/index.html

Submit "Sardines on Toast" to Digg Submit "Sardines on Toast" to del.icio.us Submit "Sardines on Toast" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sardines on Toast" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I haven't proof read this so corrections are welcome if offered in a polite manner
    Updated September 12th, 2012 at 12:08 PM by Chicken of the Sea (inserted an emoticon because I don't use those things often enough)
    I dig the sardine suit, I had a silver speedo like that in high school

since we're invited to critique your writing... I think it's redundant to note that the wetsuit wearer's beard was of the non-adventure variety because at the point a beard tips into adventure status you cease to require a wetsuit rendering it impossible for this gentleman to have an adventure beard. It's science.

Condolences on the kick to the boob btw
    Nice lake Michigan 5k swim. Think you've demonstrated why fishermen use shiny silver lures. The sardine toast with avocado sounds delicious and will try it.
    Yeah the adventure beard exclusion was completely redundant!! If he'd had one, though, I'd have cut it off
    Beautiful! Now all you need is the matching cap:

I'd have to change my name to Disco Balls
    If you called yourself " disco balls" we may be confused of your gender.

Plus the redundant beard comment....perfect.

Lastly. I promise it wasn't me who kicked you. I am of the adventurous ilk.
    Did you ever think that maybe your boob viciously punched this nicely trimmed gentleman in the foot perhaps stunning his toe? Making assumptions van often lead to making boners inthe original sense of the word.
    perhaps my boob is a terrible shot and I was aiming for something else...

(Love the suit!)
    Wear that suit in the ocean and you might as well call yourself "chum"!
    there's not enough money in the world to bribe me to swim the Maui Channel in this suit
    i had a suit like that (except mine was a brief)
    going to try that recipe!
    it's a great suit! Swimoutlet.com. very comfy. I think I'll try the recipe too
    What color was the suit after swimming in Lake Michigan? I like it, but I imagine it went from shiny to rusty.

I am quite disturbed to read that Chaos used to dance in a brief of the same material. Oh well, I guess if I wanted family friendly comments, I stopped by the wrong blog

Congrats on kinda swimming in the right direction!
    The suit is still glorious! Like liquid gold, only silver
    Way to break promises, be charmingly redundant, and shiny all at the same time!

I am so unadventurous with my suits. Maybe I need to break out of my all black mode.

Oh, glad you swam straight. My only OW experiences have include breaststroke around buoys, but I promise I have never kicked anyone.
    Kicking is fine as long as you're not in front of me
    The silver suit is FABULOUS! It's even flattering, or maybe it just feels that way. Did 7 miles in it today then made the sardine dish,.. Really tasty