View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012 7:00-8:30pm

Rate this Entry
Happened to log into FB this afternoon between work and my kids soccer games to see this notice from the team:

All practices tonight will be at EYAC due to a problem with WHS pool. 7-8:30 pm
Basically, all 4 practice groups ended up being slammed together into the one 6 lane 25 yard pool, which happens to have a separate 12.5 yd deep tank that we made use of as well. It was a different type of workout, but still intense.

---------------------------------------

The Black Group (my group) started off in the deep tank for the first 25 minutes or so. We ended up doing a lot of kicking, with a little swimming, but it was crazy fast sprints with little rest.

Did:
~30 lengths of the 12.5 pool AFAP Kick w/ board. Went in waves with 1/2 the group at each end. Basically we were getting about 10 seconds or so rest, if that.
~30 lengths of Free, which basically was a tight streamline kick, breakout, and 2-3 strokes to wall. Also did these in waves going the same pattern as above.
At least we didn't have any collisions.

Next was "Kick Wars". We paired off with someone who was our approximate size/ability level and did battle from the middle of the pool. Each person grabbed one end of the kickboard and went against each other until one person lost by being pushed against the wall behind them. If you've never tried this, it's a kick in the ass for sure! Some of the most intense kicking I've done in a while. I was paired off against another high school senior who was pretty powerful, and we almost matched each other in the middle of the pool until we both ran out of gas.

At this point, we rotated to a few of the lanes for our actual 'swimming' workout.

10 x 100 Choice @ 1:45
I did all free, and started off "easy" going a 1:06 with little effort and fighting the waves of everyone in the pool. Wow. Going on this interval I was easily able to maintain 1:05/1:06s with minimal exertion. #9 was 1:04, and #10 was 1:01

10 x 50 Streamline Kick on back @ 1:00 (went :44-:48s)
All this kicking is kicking my ass. Masters swimmers aren't supposed to be kicking. We did all that back in the age group days...

Now for the intensity...

24 x 25 @ :30
6 Rounds of Fly, Back, Breast, Free, going for maximum effort on each one.
OMG this was tough. I've done 25s before, but don't usually put out the effort like I was doing tonight.
Flys were :15ish
Back/Breast completed
Frees were :13-:14s

Then...back to the deep tank for nothing more than...
VERTICAL KICKING and other 'fun' stuff for the final 15 minutes.

---------------------------
2100 Yards + ~ 750 yards or so of the kicking/swimming warmup in the deep tank...and the other non yardage intense kicking. I HATE KICKING

It was a good day, but I sure hope things are back to normal tomorrow. At least work isn't too hectic. Only 10+ hour days starting at 5:00am.

Submit "Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012 7:00-8:30pm" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012 7:00-8:30pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012 7:00-8:30pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012 7:00-8:30pm" to Google

Comments

Hi,

I am curious if a (free) set of 50 x 20 on 0:45, would be more challenging than a set of 100 x 10 on 1:30 for you. This would be with the swimming speed the same for each set. And, what race pace would you use?

Thanks,

steve
    Masters swimmers aren't supposed to be kicking.
    Perhaps you need to look at some of the other blogs
    I know of one masters swimmer in particular who includes quite a bit of kicking into her workouts

Or come to a team workout in Mesa (and I'm sure others would work) sometime. We usually do a fair share of kicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Hi,

I am curious if a (free) set of 50 x 20 on 0:45, would be more challenging than a set of 100 x 10 on 1:30 for you. This would be with the swimming speed the same for each set. And, what race pace would you use?

Thanks,

steve
    I'm sure you meant 20x50s @:45, but neither of those would be truly difficult for me. I have a wide range of stuff I can do. 20 x 50 @ :40 is pretty easy as well. @ :35, now we'll have some fun...but I can still probably make 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Perhaps you need to look at some of the other blogs
    I know of one masters swimmer in particular who includes quite a bit of kicking into her workouts

Or come to a team workout in Mesa (and I'm sure others would work) sometime. We usually do a fair share of kicking.
    I've always done kicking, but never as much of a percentage of the workouts as I've been doing over this week. I know kicking is the 'way to go' now, and it's great that they're training the kids this way. I can do it, and need to do it more. My goal will be to outkick TG in a 200 Back soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I've always done kicking, but never as much of a percentage of the workouts as I've been doing over this week. I know kicking is the 'way to go' now, and it's great that they're training the kids this way. I can do it, and need to do it more. My goal will be to outkick TG in a 200 Back soon.
    Somewhere I've seen the general guideline that 20-25% of total yardage should be kicking. I'm not sure if there is any theory behind that, (I don't recall the source) but that's about what I do.

Just how fast can you do a 200 SCY streamline backstroke kick no-board anyway? TG?
    Kick Wars sound pretty cool, but it's hard to imagine it working with a Masters group, who tend to be rather set in their ways. Fin Gal would always have an advantage over Paddle Guy, since he can't even grip the kickboard... come to think of it, how does he get out of the pool? Or drive his car? Or...
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Somewhere I've seen the general guideline that 20-25% of total yardage should be kicking. I'm not sure if there is any theory behind that, (I don't recall the source) but that's about what I do.

Just how fast can you do a 200 SCY streamline backstroke kick no-board anyway? TG?
    I don't remember. I used to kick that way but holding the streamline so much caused me shoulder pain, so I stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    ... holding the streamline so much caused me shoulder pain, so I stopped.
    That can be a problem. A coulple of years ago I was doing 500 SCY streameline backstroke kicks to try to build kick endurance. I quit those, just too tough on the shoulders.
    That was an excellent workout! I may do a major masters modification but I might try sprint kicks in the diving well during long pull sets when I do LCM. I bought a gridge belt for my girls. It's basically a 2 way stretch cord. You swim away from each other, not at each other.
    I've never tried a "kick war" but it sounds fun.

My swim yesterday was similar to yours. I swam at Ballard and numerous groups were all jammed into one pool due to closures at other pools. When I got there there must have been about 12 per lane. One lane got out a few minutes later, but it was still very crowded. We didn't do anything longer than 50s. This wasn't my normal group, so I'm sure all the kids were wondering who the heck the old guy was
    I'm sure tonight will be back to normal. 2 hours of slammin' fun! I'm expecting to be over 6K tonight, but we'll see what happens. The main head coach is on vacation this whole week, so we've had one of the assistants, which is still fine. I'm sure it'll get more fun in a bit, and I'm ready.
    As for now, I'm getting ready for my 1.5 mile OW swim in beautiful Lake Chelan tomorrow.
    I'm sure tonight will be back to normal. 2 hours of slammin' fun! I'm expecting to be over 6K tonight, but we'll see what happens. The main head coach is on vacation this whole week, so we've had one of the assistants, which is still fine. I'm sure it'll get more fun in a bit, and I'm ready.
    As for now, I'm getting ready for my 1.5 mile OW swim in beautiful Lake Chelan tomorrow.
    See you there!
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    See you there!
    The kids will love having another at practice as well!

....or were you meaning Lake Chelan?
    The kids will love having another at practice as well!

....or were you meaning Lake Chelan?
    I'm sure you meant 20x50s @:45, but neither of those would be truly difficult for me. I have a wide range of stuff I can do. 20 x 50 @ :40 is pretty easy as well. @ :35, now we'll have some fun...but I can still probably make 'em.
    20 X 50 @ :35 or 10 X 100 @ 1:10

Which would be more of a hassle?
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    20 X 50 @ :35 or 10 X 100 @ 1:10

Which would be more of a hassle?
    Honestly, I think they'd both be trouble for me as of this moment in time, but the harder of the two...probably the 50s @ :35. At least with the 100s you can get the 2-3 seconds rest and manage, but the 50s will eventually get to a touch 'n go battle that I'd eventually lose.
    I'm hoping to be able to get up to the 30x100@ 1:10 here eventually during the year.