View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

NBAC Meet, Sunday, Sept. 9

Rate this Entry
by , September 9th, 2012 at 04:56 PM (2687 Views)
I woke up at 5:45 am today. This bears repeating. I, Leslie Livingston, woke up at 5:45 am today. I don't recall complaining about it either. I just made sure Jimby was awake and headed straight to the coffee machine. 20 minutes later Jazzy arrived and I was still guzzling caffeine and trying to eat something. Normally, I would never have considered journeying to a meet at this ungodly hour. But Jimby needed some succor and companionship in his quest to garner his first ever AA time in the 100 free. This was his third attempt at the event. Before this meet, he stood two hundredths of a second off Greg Shaw's time from Omaha. Who knew that a self described weak minded person had this much persistence?

Anyway, we made the hour plus trek to Baltimore without getting lost. I warmed up in the indoor short course meter pool. I saw no point in getting in the long course pool except to check out the backstroke blocks. Unfortunately, I checked the wrong end, the eight foot deep end, forgetting 50s start at the other end in long course. Just another reason long course sucks.

I hadn't entered 50 free, so happily had some time to continue to wake up. Jimby swam the 50 free and improved his time slightly. Plagued by elbow issues too, Jazz did a 50 flutter kick, posting a 41. This put the thought in my head that I would just kick a 50 back for time, not worrying about the 15 meter mark. Having only rested a couple days and swimming in an inferior pool, I figured I wouldn't be very close to my Omaha time.

So I wandered over to the correct end of the pool for 50s. Looked down, four feet at that end. WTF. I told Mollie Grover I would likely crash. Take your mark, crash. Well, maybe not a total crash, but an abrupt graze with a seemingly dead stop. I readjusted, went a few more feet and then grazed the bottom again. So much for people telling me I can train and compete in four feet deep pools ... But no matter! I persisted in my 50 kick for time. I went a little less than 3/4 of the pool underwater, maybe 40 kicks. I suspect I could have gone farther if I had not lost some momentum from the grazings or felt like pushing it more. Anyhoo, came up, noticeably slowing down flutter kicking on the surface, and touched in 35.2. This is less than 3 seconds slower than my Omaha time. So I'm thinking it's a decent 50 kick time -- especially given that the pool bit me twice. It would be fun to try it again in a deeper pool.

Oddly, very oddly, I was not DQ'd. At least no official approached me telling me I was DQ'd. Maybe they didn't see me? (Jazz video'd and said it was quite modernist with me missing for most of the vid.) I had planned to tell the referee that I would blast well past the 15 meter mark, but he was way down at the far end with the starter. I have never actually been at a meet where the starter was not at the start end ... These MD Series meets are, er, unique. But I really enjoyed both of them that I did this summer.

On to the 50 fly. Whoops, too busy chatting away with Jazz (about lifting) and Jimby and Skip (about various swimming topics). I saw my heat behind the blocks and didn't feel inclined to race over to try to make it. 50 breast was just minutes later anyway.

50 breast. Had kind of a sloppy entry, but otherwise everything seemed decent enough (who can really tell with this stroke?). I didn't really think about kicking hard until the last bit of the race. When one never does evil kick, one forgets to focus on it in a race ... Still, I went a 39.1, which is only .1 slower than Omaha. Not bad for no taper and doing weights earlier in the week. I like the 50 evil in long course. I am never tired afterward. This probably comes from not really using my legs much and getting to breath all the time. I was all ready for the 50 fly after that easy race.

But now it was time for Jimby's much anticipated 100 free, which I'm sure he'll blog about later, probably in a tldr format. He was simply masterly. Good start and breakout, a controlled first 50 and just hammered it home the second 50 with good tempo the whole way. He need to go faster than a 1:02.66 to claim the current fastest spot and he went a sizzling 1:01.4. Out to lunch after. Much fun had all around. Though I feel I should still do a speed workout tomorrow.

Submit "NBAC Meet, Sunday, Sept. 9" to Digg Submit "NBAC Meet, Sunday, Sept. 9" to del.icio.us Submit "NBAC Meet, Sunday, Sept. 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "NBAC Meet, Sunday, Sept. 9" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I love that you hit the bottom twice. Hopefully Jazz added some "Doh" sound effects to your modernist video.

Congrats on your breast time, that is pretty cool. I wonder what would happen if you actually trained for the event?

Congrats to Jimby. Weak minds are great at thinking about only one thing, so that would explain his tenacious pursuit of the 100 free AA time.

Agreed, a fast 50 kick and a ez 50 breast does not get you out of a speed workout. You have to set a good example for the children.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I love that you hit the bottom twice. Hopefully Jazz added some "Doh" sound effects to your modernist video.

Congrats on your breast time, that is pretty cool. I wonder what would happen if you actually trained for the event?

Congrats to Jimby. Weak minds are great at thinking about only one thing, so that would explain his tenacious pursuit of the 100 free AA time.

Agreed, a fast 50 kick and a ez 50 breast does not get you out of a speed workout. You have to set a good example for the children.
    I tried to have a shallow start too, even felt like I flopped a bit. The real benefit of this misadventure is now I have concrete evidence for my insistence that I cannot compete in shallow pools.

I did sort of train a version of evil (breast dolphin with fins) before elbow issues reared their ugly head again. But never any whip kick. It kinda bothers my knees and is so painstakingly slow that I lose patience with it. I also think I need a coach and video camera to give me more input. I've managed to fix my pull and add some undulation, but I think my timing is still off. Until this happens, and probably after even, I'm a self taught evil faker. Though this summer I have more TTs in evil than fly. Ha!

Jimby did make 3 very long drives in pursuit of his AA. Good thing nationals was early so he had most of the summer to obsess.

The children have my HIT workouts! BUT since I have an ART appt tomorrow afternoon, I should probably crank it before hand.
    If I'm waking up that early on a weekend and trekking to a swim meet, I'd have to at least swim a 400 (if not an 800 or 1500)

That's a great 50 breast time though
    Once I saw the event order for that meet, thank god, I had the OW Champs that day. Was the turnout good?
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    If I'm waking up that early on a weekend and trekking to a swim meet, I'd have to at least swim a 400 (if not an 800 or 1500)

That's a great 50 breast time though
    I gave myself credit for 1300 on my flog. I did have to warm up and warm down after all.

I really only woke up as a favor to Jimby.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Once I saw the event order for that meet, thank god, I had the OW Champs that day. Was the turnout good?
    Turnout was decent. I think there were 90 signed up. Skip even came from Michigan having had other LCM meets he was interested in canceled. It was a short meet though, perhaps because of the 3 event limit.

How'd the OW Champs go?
    Nice going Leslie...the 50 Kick must've been interesting. How many people beat you (or the other way around)?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice going Leslie...the 50 Kick must've been interesting. How many people beat you (or the other way around)?
    Thx. No one beat me in my heat. But the guys were in a different heat. I think there was one guy seeded faster than me, but I didn't pay any attention to how he swam. I was fixated on the damnable four foot start.
    Nice kicking! That's a smoking 50 kick time.

Tell Jimby we need a really special vlog from him for his herculean effort and result
    A wonderful adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Nice kicking! That's a smoking 50 kick time.

Tell Jimby we need a really special vlog from him for his herculean effort and result
    I would wager he'll blog.

In a good pool with a taper, I bet my 50 kick time would be close to my 50 back time. In short course, it might be faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    A wonderful adventure!
    Thanks Mike. It was a nice way to spend the day. And the weather was perfect for an outdoor meet -- not too hot.
    Congrats on some fast UW kicking! Nice to have some fun meets in between the serious ones. We need more fun meets! Tell Jimby I said hi!
    Tell Chowmi I say hi back atcha!

I would like to publicly thank Leslie, the best mimsy an aging man-child could hope for, for encouraging my efforts (and facilitating same) for my attempt to achieve a once in a lifetime AA(p)(f) status in USMS, this standing for All American (possibly) (flukish). And now begins the watch to see if I can maybe, just maybe, erase the (p) from this status and become, for the first and only time in my life as a swimmer, an AA(f)!

Thanks, Mimsy, for your kindness and encouragement!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Congrats on some fast UW kicking! Nice to have some fun meets in between the serious ones. We need more fun meets! Tell Jimby I said hi!
    Agree! More short fun meets would be good. But at a much later start time please.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton

I would like to publicly thank Leslie, the best mimsy an aging man-child could hope for, for encouraging my efforts (and facilitating same) for my attempt to achieve a once in a lifetime AA(p)(f) status in USMS, this standing for All American (possibly) (flukish). And now begins the watch to see if I can maybe, just maybe, erase the (p) from this status and become, for the first and only time in my life as a swimmer, an AA(f)!

You're welcome son.

I think the p will be removed soon. Why limit yourself to "first and only"?
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton

Superb swimming Jim! Just like you, I have no AA rankings and am waiting patiently for a year when the meet information for multiple meters meets contain incorrect directions to the various pools, resulting in all the speed demons in my age group getting lost long enough for me to prevail in some middle-to-long-distance event. On second thought, make that any event; I'll take anything, including an erroneous AA in the 315 backstyle or the 134 individual relay. It did not happen in long course this year, so now my hopes rest (once again) upon short course meters season, and the annual hope that all the speedsters will spit upon the metric system, compete exclusively in Imperial units, and stand united by their rallying cry, "For The Queen!"

How did I do there? I definitely needed more parentheses. Also, I couldn't come up with any reason to use the word "mither."
    Anyhoo, came up, noticeably slowing down flutter kicking on the surface, and touched in 35.2. This is less than 3 seconds slower than my Omaha time. So I'm thinking it's a decent 50 kick time -- especially given that the pool bit me twice. It would be fun to try it again in a deeper pool

Wow and no DQ. Im still thinkin you can and will make that 50m sdk. Hoping to see the video.

But now it was time for Jimby's much anticipated 100 free, which I'm sure he'll blog about later, probably in a tldr format. He was simply masterly. Good start and breakout, a controlled first 50 and just hammered it home the second 50 with good tempo the whole way. He need to go faster than a 1:02.66 to claim the current fastest spot and he went a sizzling 1:01.4.
    Jim, your middle name has to be "Persistence." Great time and swim. How did you split it?
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    How did I do there? I definitely needed more parentheses. Also, I couldn't come up with any reason to use the word "mither."
    This in no way detracted from your most excellent post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Jim, your middle name has to be "Persistence." Great time and swim. How did you split it?
    I'll try the 50 SDK again next year at a meet. Pretty sure I can make it.

No splits for Jim b/c there was no electronic timing. I wish I had timed it on my iphone. I'm a dumbo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast