View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Sept. 11

Rate this Entry
by , September 11th, 2012 at 05:10 PM (887 Views)
Drylands, 75 min

rehab exercises, 20 min
good mornings, 65 x 1 x 8, 70 x 3 x 8
adductors, 100 x 4 x 8
leg abductors, 120 x 4 x 8
explosive leg press, 190 x 4-5 x 10
hammer curls, 10 lb DBs x 3 x 12 (maybe should have even gone lighter)
wide grip lat pulldowns, 50 x 2 x 25
rear delt fly, 55 x 2 x 15
knee tuck mumps, 10
squat jumps w/45 lb bar, 2 x 8
altitude drops, 2 x 5
extreme angle isometric squat, 4:00 with 5 seconds breaks at the minute

Swim/SCM/Solo @ Gym Pool:

1500 easy

Acupuncture & Cupping, 50 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NYT video on exercise for tennis elbow tendinosis: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...-tennis-elbow/

Exercises for the biceps and triceps with tennis elbow, including hammer curls, http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...epicondylitis/

Reaction time in sprinting: http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...sprinters.html (article concludes it's more important in running than swimming)

Aqua Note from Race Club on using a nose clip for backstroke:
http://www.theraceclub.net/aqua-note...in-backstroke/

Yoga & swimming:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...imming_13.html

Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 11" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 11" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 11" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 11" to Google

Comments

Thanks for the yoga link. I keep trying to go back to yoga, but never seem to value it enough (relative to swimming or core work) versus the time commitment.

However, something else about the article made me re-think why I'm not enjoying yoga these days: the commentary about who is delivering the session. I used to really like yoga back in the early to mid 2000s when I went to a boutique yoga studio, but if and only if two specific instructors were there. I was a bit like some of the people that were profiled in a recent WSJ article and highlighted here -- http://live.wsj.com/video/following-...D-C63FE63652C1 -- (though not with a "girl crush"). I felt like an inadequate yogi-wanna-be then because I couldn't get into the class without the "right" instructors there. As I read this article, though, it made me realize that you gotta gel with a coach -- be it swimming or yoga -- to really love something (especially as a time-strapped adult). As good as Lifetime Fitness is, I just haven't found a yoga instructor, I guess, who inspires me to come back (this, despite the fact that Lifetime bought the old yoga studio I used to go to).

I guess the upside, though, is there doesn't appear to be much evidence that I'm hurting my swimming performance by not hitting the yoga mat.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Thanks for the yoga link. I keep trying to go back to yoga, but never seem to value it enough (relative to swimming or core work) versus the time commitment.

However, something else about the article made me re-think why I'm not enjoying yoga these days: the commentary about who is delivering the session. I used to really like yoga back in the early to mid 2000s when I went to a boutique yoga studio, but if and only if two specific instructors were there. I was a bit like some of the people that were profiled in a recent WSJ article and highlighted here -- http://live.wsj.com/video/following-...D-C63FE63652C1 -- (though not with a "girl crush"). I felt like an inadequate yogi-wanna-be then because I couldn't get into the class without the "right" instructors there. As I read this article, though, it made me realize that you gotta gel with a coach -- be it swimming or yoga -- to really love something (especially as a time-strapped adult). As good as Lifetime Fitness is, I just haven't found a yoga instructor, I guess, who inspires me to come back (this, despite the fact that Lifetime bought the old yoga studio I used to go to).

I guess the upside, though, is there doesn't appear to be much evidence that I'm hurting my swimming performance by not hitting the yoga mat.
    The teacher is definitely way important.

I basically gave up formal yoga classes most of last year bc the time commitment (90 minute class plus commute) was just too much and it was fairly taxing on the legs. So I used a customized mix of yoga and stretching for 20-30 minutes fairly regularly with good results.

I sometimes still get the urge for a long yoga class, so occasionally drop in. But, yeah, weights/core are bigger bang for the buck and time than long yoga classes.

I do wonder, though, if yoga would have more value to masters than kids. Swim kids are inherently flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I do wonder, though, if yoga would have more value to masters than kids. Swim kids are inherently flexible.
    I definitely agree re: kids vs. adult swimmers ... but aren't we, as swimmers, already a lot more flexible than most other adult athletes? I wonder if the incremental gains are there for us from yoga.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I definitely agree re: kids vs. adult swimmers ... but aren't we, as swimmers, already a lot more flexible than most other adult athletes? I wonder if the incremental gains are there for us from yoga.
    Not sure, some of us. Others perhaps not. Many masters have trouble getting into a good streamline. Many are adult onset swimmers coming to swimming from other sports. I suspect most masters could benefit from more flexibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Not sure, some of us. Others perhaps not. Many masters have trouble getting into a good streamline. Many are adult onset swimmers coming to swimming from other sports. I suspect most masters could benefit from more flexibility.
    Ha! I get told all the time, from every coach who's worked with me, that I would be an excellent candidate for yoga.
    Even before I was running again, my flexibility was horrible, and it had just gone downhill since.

I keep saying I'll register and do a class through the community college ($45 for a semester, and the school is 1-1/2 miles from home), yet again I missed the opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Ha! I get told all the time, from every coach who's worked with me, that I would be an excellent candidate for yoga.
    Even before I was running again, my flexibility was horrible, and it had just gone downhill since.

I keep saying I'll register and do a class through the community college ($45 for a semester, and the school is 1-1/2 miles from home), yet again I missed the opportunity.
    Running definitely kills ankle flexibility. I think a lot of masters have poor back and hip flexibility as well. And I honestly believe that even swimmers like me that are very flexible still need to work on stretching the upper back and scapular area if nothing else but for shoulder health. Stretching also helps aid recovery.

You already do so much I have no idea how you'd squeeze yoga in! Though maybe one season you ought to try subbing it in for one of your cardio activities.
    Just bought some new fins- Tyr splitfins (which are on sale at Aardvark, for $20, FYI). I used them yesterday to try and loosen up the ankles, which have lost all flexibility with even the limited running I've been doing. I'll be doing a lot of stuff with fins over the next month or so to reclaim the floppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    reclaim the floppy
    I think you can do this easily enough with some finning, hot tub stretching, and sitting on your ankles at home.

Let me know if you want to meet up this week. I'm going to try to swim the next 3 days since I'll be away at the Savageman Tri all weekend.