View RSS Feed

eric.carlson

Wednesday September 12th - AM Birthday Swim

Rate this Entry
by , September 12th, 2012 at 01:17 PM (1029 Views)
Santa Clara Swim Club Masters - SCY
Gary coaching

Warm-up (1150)
2 x
* 2 x 150 @ 2:05
* 2 x 75 @ ?? 25 drill + 25 swim + 25 drill
* 2 x 50 @ 1:00 back

50 easy

Set I (550/ 1700)
20 x 25 @ :30 kick 1-4 flutter, 5-8 IM order, 9-12 flutter, 13-16 IM order, 17-20 flutter
50 easy

Set II (2000/ 3700)
2 x
* 1 x 100 @ 1:30 70% (went 1:15, 1:14)
* 3 x 100 @ 1:25 80% (went 1:12 .. 1:13)
* 1 x 100 @ 1:15 90% (went 1:10, 1:09)
* 2 x 25 @ :30 recovery

* 2 x 75 @ 1:15 strong no-free IM

* 2 x 50 @ :50 first 12.5 yards AFAP
* 2 x 50 @ :50 last 12.5 yards AFAP

Set III (600/ 4300)
4 x 150 @ 2:05 pull #1 first 50 strong, #2 second 50 strong, #3 third 50 strong, #4 easy

200 easy

** 4500 yards **

I was surprised to see the Santa Clara pool set up for short course when I walked in this morning - the first time I have seen it this way since May. I guess summer is officially over .

I only recently moved up to group 1 so this was the first time I have been with them short course and I wasn't sure which lane to swim in. There weren't very many people there for the beginning of warm-up and I didn't see anyone from the lane that I had been swimming in, so I made a guess and jumped in lane 6. It turns out that without knowing this moved me up to the 1:20 interval group, but this was good as I led the lane after warm-up and mostly stayed with the leader of the next lane over for the entire workout. It is funny - the last couple of workouts I have been thinking that I should move over a lane but I don't know most of the other swimmers or how fast they go so I probably wouldn't have moved on purpose for a while longer.

I always drink water or electrolyte mix throughout workout, but this morning I had several cups of water just after getting up (about a 1.5 hours before practice) and several more just before practice started. My right calf started twitching after the first round through the main set so I used a pull buoy for the second set of 100s and didn't cramp until the last lap of the last 100, and it wasn't bad enough to make me stop or even slow down much. I stretched it out on the recovery 25s and made it through the rest of the set without the pull buoy and without cramps. I don't know if the extra hydration helped or not, but I am going to keep this up to see if it makes a difference.

Submit "Wednesday September 12th - AM Birthday Swim" to Digg Submit "Wednesday September 12th - AM Birthday Swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday September 12th - AM Birthday Swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday September 12th - AM Birthday Swim" to Google

Updated September 12th, 2012 at 05:34 PM by eric.carlson

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Happy Birthday from another Virgoan, and congrats on movin up. Will be interested to hear how the increased hydration works for you.

Not that i think or care much for astrology, but in case you didn't know Virgo's greek mythological origin, it seems a little red or white would be good with your cake:

Virgo held strong connections with the time that grapes were gathered for the production of wine and Erigone represents an aspect of this association. She was the daughter of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarius"]Icarius[/ame], who received the secret of wine making from the Wine God, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus"]Dionysus[/ame], and was murdered by peasants who believed they had been poisoned by his wine. Erigone was led to discover his body by their faithful dog and hanged herself in grief. The gods were moved to pity over the tragedy and transported the family to everlasting glory in the heavens: Icarius became Bo÷tes, Erigone became Virgo, and the dog Maera, the constellation [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canis_Minor"]Canis Minor[/ame]. [Wiki]
    Ha, 52 years and I never knew the origin story of my sign. Interesting mythology, I should have looked it up years ago.

Thanks for the info and the good wishes Bill!
    Happy birthday! Very cool to celebrate by moving down to new interval, and rocking it!
    Happy birthday! Very cool to celebrate by moving down to new interval, and rocking it!
    Thank you Janet!
    Happy Birthday! Since no one else said it, I will... was this 100 yards per year? You know that's the standard for masters?

I go through phases with cramping. It hasn't been nearly as bad since I hardly run anymore. It is definitely worse when it is warmer, but I'll have random cramps even in winter. Last night my right foot started to cramp during workout, I have no idea why.
    Bappy hirthday!
    Oh yeah...happy birthday!, even though I'm a little late.
    I'm dealing with cramping issues as well in my swim workouts with the age group team. We do a whole lot more kicking than I've been used to, and it seems that lately we're doing a longer kick w/ fins set at about the 1 1/2 hour point of the workout. That gets me every time, no matter how easy I try to kick. I'm plenty hydrated as well, and it still happens. I'm hoping that over time my body will adapt, but we'll just have to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Happy Birthday!
    Thank you!

Since no one else said it, I will... was this 100 yards per year? You know that's the standard for masters?
    I am 52 so it wasn't quite 100 yards/year, but I didn't write the workout. I think I will do the compulsory 52 x 100 set this weekend.

I go through phases with cramping. It hasn't been nearly as bad since I hardly run anymore. It is definitely worse when it is warmer, but I'll have random cramps even in winter. Last night my right foot started to cramp during workout, I have no idea why.
    I go through phases too. They were really awful when I was first getting into shape last winter, then they gradually went away by the beginning of the summer. I think it is at least partially due to stress and I have been swimming longer and harder since I changed groups the other week so I hope that this too will pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Bappy hirthday!
    Thank you very much!
    Happy belated Birthday Eric!

Your plain water a couple hours in advance of the workout might be counter productive if you are trying to avoid cramping. Maybe add some potato chips, a banana or electrolyte mix in addition to your water to keep from depleting peeing out your cramp preventers.

Congrats on moving up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Oh yeah...happy birthday!, even though I'm a little late.
    Thanks!

I'm dealing with cramping issues as well in my swim workouts with the age group team. We do a whole lot more kicking than I've been used to, and it seems that lately we're doing a longer kick w/ fins set at about the 1 1/2 hour point of the workout. That gets me every time, no matter how easy I try to kick. I'm plenty hydrated as well, and it still happens. I'm hoping that over time my body will adapt, but we'll just have to see.
    I kick with fins all the time in the workouts I write for myself and that doesn't usually bother me so much, but kicking with the mono fin gets me almost every time.

The worst situation for me is swimming sets with lots of rest, anything more than about :30 seconds and I have to be really conscious to stretch and massage my calves/feet.

I am also hoping that my body will adapt over time, we'll have to compare notes
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Happy belated Birthday Eric!

Your plain water a couple hours in advance of the workout might be counter productive if you are trying to avoid cramping. Maybe add some potato chips, a banana or electrolyte mix in addition to your water to keep from depleting peeing out your cramp preventers.
    Well that should have been obvious (insert sound of forehead slap)! Duly noted, thanks.

Congrats on moving up.
    Thanks!