View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 09/15/12:

Rate this Entry
After a meeting with Meg and Jill, who have been running the masters program in our town for the past few years, we hopped in for a workout today. It was great to get together with everyone again, and my wife even hopped in and swam with the team today!

w/u: 300 choice

Pick a distance pyramid (and your rest):
A B C D
50 2 2 3 3
100 2 2 3 3
150 1 2 2 3
200 1 1 1 2
150 1 2 2 3
100 2 2 3 3
50 2 2 3 3
1100 1400 1700 2200

(Team/Rec/2500yds/55 min)
--------------------------
I started off giving my wife some things to think about with her stroke, and suggested that she have fun and not overdo it. Lena has never swam on a team before, and in the nineteen years we've been together she has never swam for fitness, either. She ended up staying the water for the whole hour, just taking a length at a time and playing with the kickboards and pull buoys. I'm really proud of her!

I did the "D" pyramid, kicking the 50's, stroke on the the middle 50's of the 150s, and keeping everything aerobic with :10-:15 sr. I used the last set of 50's as warm down. I split the lane with GregJS, who came over to swim what was to be his first "team practice" since high school. He picked the D send offs as well, and did a great job swimming a bit differently than normal - great job today too, Greg!

In the meeting we talked about transitioning the team towards a more unified group. I have the USMS coaching certificate now, so I will start writing workouts and also stand on deck for half of the Saturday practices (I can make every other with work, and still not any of the Tuesday night times) providing instruction and helping folks track progress. We are looking to pick two meets a year as focus meets (December and March/April), then move towards OW training in the summertime. I'd love to see more of our members compete, and with some slight modifications to our current structure we should be able to get some more folks interested in swimming for health.

Submit "Workout 09/15/12:" to Digg Submit "Workout 09/15/12:" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 09/15/12:" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 09/15/12:" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

You're always very encouraging - you'll make a great coach! That was my first real swim team practice in 26 years - and maybe the first one I (kind of) enjoyed. Sure, it brought back a few scary memories of how painful swimming can be, but I stayed on this side of the pain and am not sore afterwards. Looking forward to the next one!

I hope Lena enjoyed herself and will be back for more as well.
    Thanks, Greg. I was thinking that those intervals were a bit different than your usual. Sometimes it is good to change up training - I find it leads to a good

Lena seems really happy with her progress, especially for lasting so long in the water. She is an amazing lady