View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Tuesday, Sept 25, 2012

Rate this Entry
by , September 25th, 2012 at 08:56 AM (703 Views)
Didn't originally plan on swimming at 0530 today - usually I go at lunch & get some "rays" - otherwise known as Vitamin D, but just as I was walking on the tennis courts last night, Jen texted & asked me to join her in the morning cuz of her crummy work schedule. Great weather, great water temp, great company - fairly empty pool - had my own lane - which is better AND worse than swimming with the kids. Better, because I don't have to worry about getting hit w/their hand paddles or drowning on the butterfly from the wave action, Worse, because I don't get a draft at all! Here's what we did:

600 back/free
2 x 300 Pull, first one no paddles
500 locomotive kick
9 x 200 as follows:
4 on 2:50, 50 easy
3 on 2:40 P, 50 easy
2 on 2:30 w/fins
100 easy
6 x 50 on :50 Indiana IM
4 x 25 4-cycle speedplay on :30
200 cool down
Total: 4200

My arms were totally dead this morning, either from the addition of tennis & working harder in practice now that Jen has joined us, or because of my crummy dinner of a Peanut Butter Sandwich (found out I was needed at the tennis courts at 6pm for a 7pm match, so had 1/2 sandwich, came home at 9pm and had another 1/2). Oh well. I'll recover. Hopefully before practice in the morning. No tennis tonight.

Submit "Tuesday, Sept 25, 2012" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept 25, 2012" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept 25, 2012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept 25, 2012" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hmmm. I had two really good PBJs on cinnamon toast last night for dinner after returning home at 10 from a meeting, but no tennis. Must be somekinda health nut thing.
    Must be. Plus it's nice & quick! - I think you probably get out of work a lot later than I do - you're a pharmacist, right? Around here, the pharmacists at CVS work 14 (and sometimes 16) hour days - starting at 8am in the morning. I, on the other hand, as a lowly NP, see my last patient around 4:30, finish charting, and am out the door by 5:30 at the latest - so I have TIME for tennis in the evenings. Maybe no energy, but I do have time.
    Im an environmental engineer and geologist and have a lot of stuff that runs into the evenings- some work, some citizen, and some pleasure, but probably overdoing it and the energy runs low at night. I think Mike (rxleakem) is in pharm, and he does seem to be on the run.
    Updated September 25th, 2012 at 10:12 PM by Sojerz
    Yuppers, I'm the pill pusher. I work for a regional supermarket chain, and work 8-8 during the week. We used to close for a 30min lunch, but that ended a month ago.

Long days, but the regular schedule (and no pager overnight) are pluses. I've been pushing more protein and fresh fruits, along with water, during the day to get through, but usually running on empty when I get home for supper.
    Peanut butter is the best bang for the buck nutritionally. The fat is the good type and even better when without sugar. The energy is daylong. I can down a jar in the afternoon (2800 cal) when going to lunch doesn't fit in the schedule or budget. I do have a mild sensitivity to it however.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I can down a jar in the afternoon. . . I do have a mild sensitivity to it however.
    You can down a JAR in the afternoon? Geez. And your sensitivity must be VERY mild if you can eat that quantity at a given time!
    I was looking at that Nutella & Jif PB & hazelnut/chocolate spread - that stuff is so pathetic when it comes to protein! Like 2gm/serving. I found some healthfood chocolate/PB mixture & it's closer to 8gm/serving - much yummier for my taste buds, not as smooth perhaps, but women natoriously do not get enough protein in their diets, so I'm always on the lookout for how to sneak more in. One of my favorite breakfasts is a Toasted Egg Bagel with Peter Pan Honey Roast CRUNCHY PB on top - it gets so melty and good! And keeps the rumblies away for hours!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Im an environmental engineer and geologist
    Oops! Sorry about that! Don't know how I got that impression - but I did figure Mike was a phamacist from his username, lol!