View RSS Feed

slick's shoulder surgery blog

PT, Round 2

Rate this Entry
by , September 25th, 2012 at 04:35 PM (484 Views)
By the time I got my MRI results in March of 2012, I was slowly working my way back up to full workouts in the pool. I was doing half swim/half kick workouts, and during this time I paid close attention to how my shoulder was feeling. I eventually found a good ‘test’ for my shoulder: front sculling. By doing this I could sort of tilt my ear to my shoulder, and listen and feel for any crunchy sounds which became magnified underwater, lol. As my shoulder healed, the crunchy feelings and sounds would dissipate. It was also a bit hard at first because my right shoulder would compensate for the weakness in my left. For a while there both of my shoulders were pretty sore!

Since I wasn’t too keen on having surgery (the thought of not being able to swim for several months was too crushing to me at that point), I decided that I instead would be hardcore about my PT routine. After my last subluxation, I went back to PT for a month before I decided to just continue on my own. I also started to research other possible treatments that might help me. I learned about Active Release Therapy (ART) after poking around the USMS forums, and decided to give it a shot. In late March of 2012, I started seeing a chiropractor who specialized in ART. I remember during my first assessment, the chiropractor was testing my range of motion and she said to me, “Wow, you shoulders are fun to play with!” That made me laugh.

ART treatments are like short, super focused, intense massages. The chiropractor uses a small stainless steel tool to dig deep into your muscles with the purpose of breaking up scar tissue to promote healing. She was always apologizing for ‘torturing’ me, but honestly I didn’t find it all that painful….actually most of the time I thought it felt great! (Perhaps I have a high pain tolerance?) I also was given additional exercises and stretches to do along with my regular PT routine.

After about a month, I was mostly functional and feeling OK in the pool again. We had our Association Championship meet in the middle of April, and I had decided to sign up for a few short events (50 fly/breast/free) and told the coach that I’d be down for some relays too. My goal this time around was to make my seed times AND keep my shoulder in its socket, lol. Luckily, I was able to accomplish both, so that was a success! It was a lot of fun too even though I wasn’t in the best shape.

During the spring and summer of 2012, I kept to a strict PT routine (3x per week) and continued to get ART treatments every other week. By the middle of June I was back in great shape....gotta give some credit to an entire month of kick sets! I was back up to swimming 4 and sometimes 5 days per week. My shoulder felt solid, and as a bonus “the click” that I felt during backstroke had gone away! I think that a flap of cartilage shifted after my last subluxation or something. But whatever, I was happy to be backstroking again, as it is my second best stroke after fly.

However, all good things must come to an end. In mid July, I went on vacation for two weeks. Blast those pesky vacations getting in the way of training! I didn’t swim at all while on vacation (was visiting NYC), so when I got back I was waaay out of shape. Oh well, just gotta build things up again. I made plans to get back into somewhat decent shape for our long course meters meet at the end of August. It would be my first LCM meet in 16 years and I was totally stoked.

Submit "PT, Round 2" to Digg Submit "PT, Round 2" to del.icio.us Submit "PT, Round 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "PT, Round 2" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments