View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
Warmup:

600 (25 Front Scull, 25 Free breathe @ 5, 25 V-Sit Scull, 25 Back)

10 Rounds of:
  • 100 Non Free (I did all Back, with Fly on Round 10) @ 1:45 - build each one to last 25 all out
  • 25 SPRINT (same stroke as above) @ :45
  • 25 SPRINT Free @ :45
300 Streamline Kick on Back

10 x 100 Kick w/ board & fins @ 1:25
(did SDK on back w/ fins***) went 1:18-1:23s
***I can't kick full effort like this flutter or dolphin with a board, for some reason I cramp really bad doing so, and have found that I can make the sets SDK on my back.

3 Rounds of 8 x 50 Free Pull (Desc. 1-4, 5-8) 1:00 rest between rounds
  • Round 1 - @ 1:00 Breathe every 5
  • Round 2 - @ :50 Breathe every 3
  • Round 3 - @ :40 Breathe every 3 (NOTE: I HATE Breathe every 3 or 5)
8 x 25 Dive Sprints from the blocks (6 Free, 1 Breast, 1 Free) minimum 6 SDKs and finish hard

400 EZ (100 Scull, 100 Breast, 200 Choice)

---------------------

5200 Yards

Our club team may not truly pump out the yardage, but the intensity is sure there. I'm breathing hard after almost every set we do (but I also do put forth the effort as well). The pulling sets are always the easiest for me to do, and the kicking...well, I get it done. Some of these kids can kick!

...and I don't think it's going to get any easier either.

Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

The 10 rounds is a really nice set and I am shocked I don't see dive sets every workout for USAS teams.
    8 x 25 Dive Sprints from the blocks (6 Free, 1 Breast, 1 Free) minimum 6 SDKs and finish hard
    That sounds like fun! I could totally get into doing that - unfortunately we do "Goal Sets" - where we go in waves for an all out 100 (from a push) - and I begin to die around 48 yards or so. Just not a true sprinter, I guess!
    I'm really enjoying these practices. The intensity is the hardest part, and that's what I've been needing. It's hard to make yourself go past the "hurt" point on your own in a lap swim, which is part of the reason why I joined up with the age groupers this year.

Of all my years of swimming, this may be the first year that I'm going to be able to negative split my races as well. I've never trained with this way before, and yes it's hard, but it's good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am shocked I don't see dive sets every workout for USAS teams.
    I agree. My team rarely does them. We basically don't do them at all at the start of the season and then add them in later, but still not anywhere close to every day. How are you supposed to have good starts if you never practice them?
    On the Breaststroke, just make sure you get those 6 SDKs in before the splash subsides so you won't get DQ'ed, as we all learned from watching the Olympics
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I'm really enjoying these practices. The intensity is the hardest part, and that's what I've been needing. It's hard to make yourself go past the "hurt" point on your own in a lap swim, which is part of the reason why I joined up with the age groupers this year.
    I am enjoying reading about them, but I really was hoping for a little more bloodshed in the early chapters of your story. You are adapting amazingly well.

The group intensity environment is why I consider joining a USAS team. 30x100 on 1:10 isn't really that far outside my current ability, but the mental side of things to do it solo during lap swim is pretty far away. I just don't think I want to do 400IMs and 1000 of kick and breaststroke and butterfly and more kicking that make USAS suck

Of all my years of swimming, this may be the first year that I'm going to be able to negative split my races as well. I've never trained with this way before, and yes it's hard, but it's good too.
    This baffles me. Descend sets and the training ideology that goes along with it was not new when you were a kid. Enjoy your newly discovered pacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    On the Breaststroke, just make sure you get those 6 SDKs in before the splash subsides so you won't get DQ'ed, as we all learned from watching the Olympics
    I did I actually did breaststroke to race a 13 year old girl, and if it wasn't for the strength of my pullout, I would've lost the race by about 24 yards!
    I am enjoying reading about them, but I really was hoping for a little more bloodshed in the early chapters of your story. You are adapting amazingly well.

The group intensity environment is why I consider joining a USAS team. 30x100 on 1:10 isn't really that far outside my current ability, but the mental side of things to do it solo during lap swim is pretty far away. I just don't think I want to do 400IMs and 1000 of kick and breaststroke and butterfly and more kicking that make USAS suck

This baffles me. Descend sets and the training ideology that goes along with it was not new when you were a kid. Enjoy your newly discovered pacing.
    I really wasn't too far "out of shape" when I started with the team, but yes it was a definite jump up increasing from 3-4 days a week @ 3000 yards to 5-6 days at 5500-6000 yards. I'm just waiting for the results of my labors. NW ZONE in Federal Way. I'm sure the 800 IM will be a good race to see what kind of shape I'm in.
    I really wasn't too far "out of shape" when I started with the team, but yes it was a definite jump up increasing from 3-4 days a week @ 3000 yards to 5-6 days at 5500-6000 yards.
    That is up to 4x as much yardage at a higher intensity than you were used to training. There should have been much more crying if not out right loss of limbs during your transition period.
    That is up to 4x as much yardage at a higher intensity than you were used to training. There should have been much more crying if not out right loss of limbs during your transition period.
    Should've been, but I'm that good.

I will admit that my left shoulder was a bit sore, and my legs took almost two weeks to adjust to the intense fin kicking without cramps, though they still occur at times.
    I really wasn't too far "out of shape" when I started with the team, but yes it was a definite jump up increasing from 3-4 days a week @ 3000 yards to 5-6 days at 5500-6000 yards. I'm just waiting for the results of my labors. NW ZONE in Federal Way. I'm sure the 800 IM will be a good race to see what kind of shape I'm in.
    http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3629

Notice anything odd?
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    The only thing that stands out, after the reference to my 800 IM, and you're link, is that the 800 Free event has by far the most online entries of ANY other events...50s, 100s, even evilstroke.
    The only thing that stands out, after the reference to my 800 IM, and you're link, is that the 800 Free event has by far the most online entries of ANY other events...50s, 100s, even evilstroke.