View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thurs., Sept. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm TEST SET DAY

Rate this Entry
I originally wasn't going to be able to make it to swimming tonight, as my mother-in-law was out helping my sister-in-law at the farmer's market in town. She came home a lot earlier than I originally thought, so I was able to make it over to the pool just in time.
Problem is that I wasn't exactly 'prepared' for practice, as I'd spent the past 2+ hours working outside on yardwork, cleaning up stuff, killing bad stuff, etc...basically my forearms were a bit sore. Wah Wah...suck it up James, 'cause it's GO TIME!

Warmup:

3 x 200 Free Desc. @ 4:00
Went 2:26, 2:20, 2:11 helluva warmup

20 x 25 Kick w/ fins @ :45
Odds - Core Kick, Evens - SDK underwater no breath
Much easier for me now to do this

200 Breast/200 Free stretchout

At this point, we're told by John that the final Thursday of each month is our TEST SET DAY. Yippie... (kill me now)

Test Set #1

10 x 100 Free @ 1:30 Best Avg. & Heartrate
  • Avg - 1:02.5 w/ 26 HR over 10 seconds
  • Best - 1:01
  • Not Best - 1:04?
  • Got hard to keep going around #7
200 Breast/200 Free EZ

Test Set #2

10 x 100 Flutter Kick w/ board NO FINS (YES!!!) @ 2:00 Best Avg. & HR
  • Avg - 1:41 w/ 22 HR over 10 seconds
  • Best - 1:38
  • Not Best - 1:42
  • Not too bad, I was the #4 fastest kicker in the group (just proves that the lack of my fin kicking ability doesn't mean much)
  • Found out that John's going to repeat this one weekly, with an award going out to the monthly, quarterly, and season-long winner.
200 Back/200 Breast EZ

1000 Free Pull

-----------------
5300 Yards

John said to stretch out and relax the last 1000...then said "James and Jared, I don't want you guys going 12:00 on this now..." I said OK.
was 5:58 @ 500, finished 12:02 for the 1000.
I told John, 12:02. He just smiled and shook his head. I know my pace and can hold it. I did the entire 1000 with 12 strokes per length with the occasional 13 that popped in now and then.

The assistant coach (who is also a YMCA manager at the pool I swam at) told me after practice today that I'm looking a lot better in the water. That I'm "swimming with confidence". That made me feel good. Two more weeks and I'll get to test it out in our LMSC masters meet.

Submit "Thurs., Sept. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm TEST SET DAY" to Digg Submit "Thurs., Sept. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm TEST SET DAY" to del.icio.us Submit "Thurs., Sept. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm TEST SET DAY" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thurs., Sept. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm TEST SET DAY" to Google

Updated September 28th, 2012 at 02:16 AM by jaadams1

Categories
Swim Workouts , Daily Practices

Comments

That is a tough workout. Nicely done.
    This post started off so well.

Wah Wah...suck it up James
    TEST SET DAY. Yippie... (kill me now)
    Then you ruined it.

"James and Jared, I don't want you guys going 12:00 on this now..."
    finished 12:02
    That is when the wheels are supposed to fall off! But, congrats on being in shape!

I'm looking a lot better in the water.
    Maybe he was saying you don't look like you live on fast food?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Seconded. I bet James slept well last night!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Tough in a way, yet still easier than other workouts. I can do 10x100s like that all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    That is when the wheels are supposed to fall off! But, congrats on being in shape!

Maybe he was saying you don't look like you live on fast food?
    Thanks Mike. Fast food is still good, but I'm learning to moderate as well...but I don't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Seconded. I bet James slept well last night!
    Kinda...I couldn't fall asleep till 11:30pm or so...maybe due to the tv and internet rather than actually getting in bed though. And this morning I'm feeling a little sore, but doable.