View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Mon, Oct. 1, 2012 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
Warmup:

300 (25 Breaststroke/25 Sprint Free) - weird
10 x 100 Kick w/ fins (25 Core Kick/25 Right Side/25 Core Kick/25 Left Side) @ 2:15

3 x 300 Free Pull @ 5:30 Desc.
  • #1 Breathe every 5, did 3:45
  • #2 Breathe every 3, did 3:25
  • #3 Breathe left side down, right side back, did 3:15
  • don't like left side only breathing, throws off my timing and power
Main Set (5 Rounds):
  • 200 Free @ 3:30 (EZ, EZ, Desc. #3-5)
  • 2 x 50 Free Sprint @ 1:00
  • my last 3 200s were 2:16, 2:11, 2:06, with my 50s being pretty much :29/:27s
200 EZ

12 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:20 Desc. in sets of 3

At this point we were getting to the approx. 15 minutes to go in workout, and we usually do things like fast 25s, or fast 50s at this point. John then says (pointing at our lane):

Get rid of your kickboards...
4 x 100 Free @ 1:10, right into
4 x 100 Free @ 1:05,
Leave on the :60 (which is about :10 seconds away)
Not even enough time to about it, just get the goggles on and tell Jared to go first.
I made the first 4 with about 4 seconds rest, then missed #5 (1:07), but swam a 50 of #6, rejoined Jared @ #7 (which he missed #6). I made #7 (1:03), but missed #8 horribly(1:10). Basically it was an 800 @ 9:00 interval at the end of practice!! WTF?! I suppose Kirk could've made it

300 EZ and out

---------------------
5600 Yards

Submit "Mon, Oct. 1, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Mon, Oct. 1, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Mon, Oct. 1, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mon, Oct. 1, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I like that main set and really like your bonus I am not too sure that Kirk would have made it either and you made a good showing on those last 4x100s.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am not too sure that Kirk would have made it either
    No way if I had to lead. If I had a good draft then maybe, but it would have to be a good day!

Man, your team sure trains radically different than mine! I can't imagine doing 300s on 5:30. Just a completely different philosophy. We did, however, get to do 75s on the 1:40 at the end of practice yesterday. They were actually sort of tough. It was a 25 where you alternated three easy strokes then three fast strokes, 25 head up free, and the final 25 "perfect" sprint--in other words fast, but not splashy.

The main set yesterday was 9x400. The fastest lane did 10. When I got in they'd already done four, so I did five. That was enough.
    I like that main set and really like your bonus I am not too sure that Kirk would have made it either and you made a good showing on those last 4x100s.
    Thanks Mike, the bonus was spectacular!! I can only hope we do it again soon.

BTW...I told John the coach last night that I'd like to get back to being able to do 30x100s @ 1:10 again. Gridge again?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Man, your team sure trains radically different than mine! I can't imagine doing 300s on 5:30. Just a completely different philosophy.
    That part was still sort of a warmup phase, but we do a lot of our descending sets with a good amount of rest, but with those sprint 50s after each one, you almost need the rest. And believe me, your body is asking for more after a while too!!

We did, however, get to do 75s on the 1:40 at the end of practice yesterday. They were actually sort of tough. It was a 25 where you alternated three easy strokes then three fast strokes, 25 head up free, and the final 25 "perfect" sprint--in other words fast, but not splashy.

The main set yesterday was 9x400. The fastest lane did 10. When I got in they'd already done four, so I did five. That was enough.
    I've noticed your team does a lot more freestyle distance, and on short rest at that. Not sure I'd enjoy that day to day, but each team is different like you said.

It'll be good to meet you in the pool, age grouper vs. age grouper.

Bainbridge meet? I may be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    BTW...I told John the coach last night that I'd like to get back to being able to do 30x100s @ 1:10 again. Gridge again?
    You don't think you can do it now?

I am game. I expect to make another go during the Thanksgiving break and you will probably have a set of 50 or 60 during Christmas. Even though it isn't exactly 30, I will give you a pass as long as the last 30 of the set are on 1:10
    I've noticed your team does a lot more freestyle distance, and on short rest at that.
    Yes. All the short rest stuff we do is freestyle. The stroke sets always have much more rest and we're supposed to swim fast. No question all that long freestyle stuff can get boring, but it is balanced somewhat by the stroke sets. The other thing that's a little strange is we hardly ever do straight IMs. We'll do every stroke at every practice, but rarely do IMs.

Bainbridge meet? I may be there.
    Possibly. I haven't entered yet, but I still could.

I am game. I expect to make another go during the Thanksgiving break and you will probably have a set of 50 or 60 during Christmas. Even though it isn't exactly 30, I will give you a pass as long as the last 30 of the set are on 1:10
    I could probably do it now, I just don't have the option to "write my own workouts" at the moment. I'm sure we'll get it at some point though, if not a 100x100s ending with the last 50 or so at 1:10
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Bainbridge...
    Possibly. I haven't entered yet, but I still could.
    I'm waiting for a last minute signup as well. No one will see it coming...

I'm actually waiting to see what's happening here in the Wenatchee Valley with the smoke from the fires. My kids have soccer games scheduled for Saturday, but they haven't played in over 3 weeks now, and we'll have to see what happens. We had a lot of wind last night, but the forecast isn't looking good to keep the smoke away after last night...so I may be in Bainbridge.
    If you go, sign up for the 500.
    Another nice workout and something for me to try to steal. I gather there was no "Masters Minute" after the 2 fast 50s on that Main Set?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Another nice workout and something for me to try to steal. I gather there was no "Masters Minute" after the 2 fast 50s on that Main Set?
    No, that's the deal, you sprint those two 50s (2nd one is supposed to be faster than the 1st one too!) and then on the minute interval you go right into the next desc. 200 (or whatever the set is). These are really good sets, and I'm enjoying doing them.
    I may be in Bainbridge.
    If you go, sign up for the 500.
    I entered the 500 fly event with a 6:00.06. Do with that what you will.

Gridge checklist:
    • 30 x 100 backstroke on 1:20
    • 30 x 100 IM on 1:25
    Yep, that list looks 100% complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    I entered the 500 fly event with a 6:00.06. Do with that what you will.
    I won't join you on that one, but I'll attempt to lap you twice.
    Gridge checklist:
    I could probably get back to 30x100s fly @ 1:20, but don't know why I would want to. ???
    The IMs...piece of cake. Backstrokes...I could possibly get them done.
    I could probably get back to 30x100s fly @ 1:20, but don't know why I would want to. ???
    Me either!
    Gridge checklist:
    If you are not breaking new ground, you are nothing but a has been. Let's see backstroke on 1:15.

Who approved 30x100 IM on 1:25? I could have done that as a master and I only know how to do one of the 4 strokes? For someone who hates freestyle that must have been a cake walk.
    Who approved 30x100 IM on 1:25? I could have done that as a master and I only know how to do one of the 4 strokes? For someone who hates freestyle that must have been a cake walk.
    +1 on this one.
    If you are not breaking new ground, you are nothing but a has been.
    For the record, I am a never-was. However my memory must be fuzzy; when was it that you completed 30 x 100?

tee hee

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=18726#comments

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=23005#comments

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=19706"]Thanksgiving workouts - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]
    From this blog post noted above, one of the greatest comments ever:

Quote Originally Posted by QBrain to That Guy
    I also see you are gaining weight. Just a fluctuation, do you think you are slowly adding muscle even under your training load, or did you absorb 3500 fast food calories just being in James presence this weekend?
    Are you sure you want to carpool again this weekend?
    From this blog post noted above, one of the greatest comments ever:

Are you sure you want to carpool again this weekend?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast