View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Tues, Oct. 2, 2012 7:00-8:15pm cut short...

Rate this Entry
The head coach wasn't there, but we had one of the assistants there to give the coach's workout. It's kind of like when a substitute teacher comes to school for the regular teacher...they attempt to get things done, but the students know just how to twist everything they say or do into a tangled mess.

Warmup:

400 Free
200 IM Drill
200 Kick w/ board

Pre set: @ LIFO (last in, first out)
100 IM Pull
200 IM Swim
300 IM Pull
300 IM Swim
200 IM Pull
100 IM Swim
It was wavy as hell in the pool during this.

Speed Set:
14 x 25 Best Stroke @ :35 Fast
did all Fly, held roughly :16-17s.

150 EZ

Main Set:***

4 x 400 IMs @ 6:20 done as:
  • 2 x 200 IMs w/ :10 rest after the first one
  • the 2nd 200 IM of each pair is faster than the 1st 200 IM
  • Each 400 is also a descended overall time
I was 2:45/2:40, 2:40/2:35, 2:35/2:30 on the first 3 groups, then...

We all got pulled from the pool. (right when I was going to go fast! ) Apparently the air quality was deteriorating so quickly that the kids were having trouble breathing. The guards had one girl out at the end of the pool who already has asthma problems, and tending to her.
Not sure what it was, but possibly a chlorine problem, or something else??
Well, on top of that, while we were in the showers not more than 3-4 minutes after getting out of the pool, the fire alarm went off!! Sonuva!! Had to get dressed really quick and out. The guards said they weren't sure why the alarm went off, but someone in the high school probably pulled one of the many alarms on the wall to be funny.

At least everyone's okay.

----------------------
3700 Yards completed...

Oh yeah, I signed up for the BAMFest meet on Bainbridge Island just west of Seattle this coming Saturday. Get to ride the ferry across Puget Sound. That's always a thrill for me since I don't get to go on one very often.
I'm going to be swimming my "sprint version" of a swim meet.
50, 100, 200, 500 Free, and 50 Back.

Submit "Tues, Oct. 2, 2012 7:00-8:15pm cut short..." to Digg Submit "Tues, Oct. 2, 2012 7:00-8:15pm cut short..." to del.icio.us Submit "Tues, Oct. 2, 2012 7:00-8:15pm cut short..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues, Oct. 2, 2012 7:00-8:15pm cut short..." to Google

Comments

I vividly remember someone pulling the fire alarm at the Y where I swam when I was 9 or so. The coach pulled us from the pool and immediately out the door onto the sidewalk. It was winter and we were in the middle of a somewhat seedy area of a city at rush hour - an all girls team, to boot. It took a long time to get the all clear. Some parents who had stuck around herded as many of us as they could into cars (thank goodness for minivans) to try to keep us warm.

After that we pretty much stopped using lockers and kept all our stuff on the deck near the door, but it was fortunately a one-time event. (One of the kids in the after school program was found to be the culprit.)
    The ferry ride is fun. Shame about the $20+ price tag, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    The ferry ride is fun. Shame about the $20+ price tag, though.
    Both the good and bad part of the Bainbridge meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I vividly remember someone pulling the fire alarm at the Y where I swam when I was 9 or so. The coach pulled us from the pool and immediately out the door onto the sidewalk. It was winter and we were in the middle of a somewhat seedy area of a city at rush hour - an all girls team, to boot. It took a long time to get the all clear. Some parents who had stuck around herded as many of us as they could into cars (thank goodness for minivans) to try to keep us warm.

After that we pretty much stopped using lockers and kept all our stuff on the deck near the door, but it was fortunately a one-time event. (One of the kids in the after school program was found to be the culprit.)
    I'm just hoping this doesn't happen too often. We luckily practice later at night, and there's not a lot of folks around at the school during the hours that we are there (usually), so things should be pretty safe.