View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Flipping out

Rate this Entry
by , October 4th, 2012 at 05:05 PM (489 Views)
I missed yesterday's swim b/c I was dealing with a backlog of paperwork and time got away from me. So today I almost forgot that I was supposed to begin working on flip-turns. Scotty was already in the water when I got there and seeing him reminded me... it's good to be held accountable! I had made a pledge to forgo any further open-turns once October rolled around--as comfortable as those open-turns have been for me over the last couple of years. It was time to make good.

Here's what I did:

5 minutes practicing flip-turns floating into the wall.
600 warm-up with flip-turns
10 x 50 on 1:00 (:43-:45)
10 x 100 on 2:00 (1:34-1:36)
10 x 50 on 1:00 (:44-:46)
100 breast
[2200 total in 50 minutes]

So, every once in a while I would just nail the turn and feel pretty good. Every once in a while I would flop and sputter; often I felt like an errant bottle rocket, squirting all over the lane. One thing I have to figure out is my breathing going into the wall. Because my open turn has accustomed me to getting a quick breath at the wall, I would neglect to breathe then come out of the turn with my lungs bursting (or so it seemed) looking for that breath.

I liked doing the 50s, though they were slow, because I only had the one flip. The 100s were challenging because I had to maintain that concentration for 3 turns. I'm hoping it gets better. I guess it's like anything, it will take a lot more practice.

Submit "Flipping out" to Digg Submit "Flipping out" to del.icio.us Submit "Flipping out" to StumbleUpon Submit "Flipping out" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Looks like you are doing pretty good with things.