View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 10/04/12: morning(?) and noon

Rate this Entry
Well, not really a double, but I tired.

With rain and overcast skies still looming (remember, it is my vacation week), Greg and I canceled our plans for an OW adventure. Since my morning was quiet anyways, I decided to head up to Woodford State Park to check out the lake there, which is about 15 minutes from home. Here are some pictures, although fog was the primary sight instead of the brilliant colors that are hanging from the trees.

Road to the lake

Noted.

Feeling a little creeped out about now ...

So, now I pop on the suit that I had in the car and venture into the water. I setup the GPS on my phone and started into the water. Burr! Water temp was about 66, with air temp in the upper 60's. Not really a problem as I have been in colder water before, so I took some time to wade in and get "comfortable." Still couldn't see much of anything when I started swimming into the mist. After about ten strokes I realized two things - I could not really tell where I was, and the water there is clear. At this point, I made an executive decision - get the heck out!

All I could think about the clip AZTimm left on a blog post earlier in the summer. Oh well, a lesson learned here - best to actually be able to see 50 yards in front of you when trying out a new place to swim.
-------------------------------

Anyway, I girded up my loins and got to the Rec for a swim at lunchtime.

w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

2 x 500 FR on 7:30 with snorkel
4 x 100 Kick on 1:50

1 x 50 ez
8 x 50 on :50
- Quarter's Strong
- 1-4 Fr (hold 34's), 5-8 Bk (hold 38's)

200 loosen and out with snorkel
-------------------
(Solo/Rec/2650 yds/45 min)

Still using that snorkel. I went 6:45 on the first, then 6:52 on the second, and worked on keeping spl around 12-13. Dropped the interval on the kicking down from 2:00 and was able to get 10-15 seconds rest on each. Then worked on those Quarter's Strong to make the 12.5yd sections AFAP.

Off to my coworkers retirement party tonight, then plan to hop in for a swim tomorrow.

Submit "Workout 10/04/12: morning(?) and noon" to Digg Submit "Workout 10/04/12: morning(?) and noon" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 10/04/12: morning(?) and noon" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 10/04/12: morning(?) and noon" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Open Water

Comments

Those colors are beautiful - too bad about the fog. I was in New England before I moved to South Alabama and every fall I get color envy seeing pictures from "home." We have a lot of beautiful green here, but I miss the fall leaves.
    It is amazing that just a few short weeks ago leaves were still holding back on their vibrant autumnal show. Probably a couple of weeks left before they have fallen to the ground - such a wonderful, yet temporary, interlude this time of year.
    Too bad about the weather for the lake swim. I see you gave it a shot though! (But is there actually a lake somewhere in that photo?)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregJS
    (But is there actually a lake somewhere in that photo?)
    I think so! Haha