Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm Test Set Day

Rate this Entry
Warmup:

200 Free desc. the 50s
200 Dolphin Kick w/ board desc. the 50s
200 Free Pull breathe every 5

12 x 25 V-Sit Sculling @ 1:15

At this point, I noticed that John had to deal with a swimmer from the other practice group who apparently plowed headfirst into the wall HARD while swimming backstroke. The swimmer was out of the pool and sitting down, but John had to check him out, and then held his head/neck stable as the head guard was calling for the ambulance.

I knew he was preoccupied, so I went over to him to get the sets to relay them to the group so no one would get too out of hand while they were dealing with the emergency. SPECIAL NOTE: The boy ended up being checked out as okay, and was released by the paramedics to his parents at the pool. Scary moment though.

While this was going on:

12 x 50 @ 1:00, IMOrder 3x through

Test Set: (we got started on this while John was finishing up with the medics).

10 x 100 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 2:00
  • I ended up going 4th in the lane (we had lots more kids there today)
  • Avg'd 1:34 (7 seconds faster than last week)
  • Best time 1:32, Not best 1:38, mostly 1:33s - at #8 my times slowed down by almost 5 seconds.
  • HR 23 over 10 seconds.
We had one of those 10 minute or so lectures (that we've all heard many times before) about the attention to details, work ethic, doing this for ourselves, , etc. etc. Dang kids...pay attention to what you're doing...I don't want to have to repeat these test sets again, which we're being threatened with for the future.

200 Free EZ then migrate to diving end for

Test Set #2 (ooooo happy day!)

5 x 100 AFAP Free from a dive
  • I called it! I mentioned to one of the other kids in the lane that we're probably doing some sort of all out 100s from a dive. He said..."nah, I don't think so." Dude, I've been around swimming long enough...I know how these coaches work!
  • 1 wave at a time @ approx. 6:00 interval (we had 6 waves so it was more like 7:00)
  • I ended up having great races with Jared on this, we basically tied on each one, and my kick really came on like crazy at the end of each one. I guess my training is working.
  • Went :56, :55, :55, :55, :56 <-- tired on the last one
  • No cooldowns between, just sitting, resting, shaking out the legs, and being an age grouper. Not too big of deal.
  • My masters best time in the 100 Free is a 52.0 or so, so to be consistently within 3 seconds of that in practice with my big ol' suit, and all this training is great. I'm looking forward to this weekend.
200 EZ and out

-------------------------
3400 Yards - short but intense. I actually feel really good now after practice...we'll see how that changes in the morning.

Submit "Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm Test Set Day" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm Test Set Day" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm Test Set Day" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012 7:00-9:00pm Test Set Day" to Google

Comments

OMGoodness I hate Goal Sets! We do these almost every Saturday - which I am happy to say I miss most of the time due to tennis matches. We do two waves 10 sec apart & it takes us almost an hour to get five 100's in. BUT, we don't start from a dive - just a push off the wall.
    Yeah, really nice job on those 100s. Ain't no way I could go that fast right now.
    Thanks! I'm not saying it was easy by any means...I was working it, and breathing hard in between. It seemed like the rest period kept getting smaller and smaller as the set went on, but it wasn't.