View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sat., Oct. 6, 2012 BAMFest Meet Results

Rate this Entry
Left Wenatchee mega mega early...about 4:15am or so, to travel across the mountains to the Seattle area. Met up with That Guy and That Guy's friend (yes he has one), and we carpooled to the ferry docks to save a bit of money.

I was feeling okay during the meet warmup, but not 100% for sure. Not sure if it was the early morning, or the beatings that my body has been given at practices over the past month. Probably a bit of both. Oh well, you have to race anyway...

200 Free - 1:56.95
26.78 / 29.94
30.16 / 30.07
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XkXhkTZIZ8"]10-6-12 Bainbridge, WA - 200 SCY Free - YouTube[/nomedia]

50 Back - 30.05
This has been voted the #1 worst event to swim...will find you the actual reference at a later date.

50 Free - 24.95
I tied with That Guy in this one. We were in separate heats too. He got a best time, I had a worst time. Who wins?

100 Free - 55.23
26.47 / 28.76
I seem to recall doing this very same time during my 5 x 100 @ 6:00 set on Thursday. I just couldn't get going!

500 Free - 5:19.52
29.17 / 32.26
32.94 / 32.87
32.86 / 32.77
32.43 / 32.15
31.71 / 30.36
I was able to negative split this one 2:40/2:39 First time I've been able to do that. I didn't have a counter person either, and attempted counting for myself. I did sneak a peek on Kirk's counter during the race at length #9 and was correct on my counting, so I began to pick it up there. That's about the point my body started feeling good. The shorter length races just weren't working for me today.

At least my freestyle race times seem to go "together" in a sense:
50 - 24.95 (100 avg. 50.0)
100 - 55.23 (100 avg. 55.2)
200 - 1:56.95 (100 avg. 58.4)
500 - 5:19.52 (100 avg. 1:03.9)

Submit "Sat., Oct. 6, 2012 BAMFest Meet Results" to Digg Submit "Sat., Oct. 6, 2012 BAMFest Meet Results" to del.icio.us Submit "Sat., Oct. 6, 2012 BAMFest Meet Results" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sat., Oct. 6, 2012 BAMFest Meet Results" to Google

Updated October 7th, 2012 at 12:42 AM by jaadams1 (Addition of video)

Categories
Swim Workouts , Meets , Daily Practices

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    I hope you wash your "friend" from time to time...
    Good swimming after all that hard training! But, whoa, that 50 back did suck. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Good swimming after all that hard training! But, whoa, that 50 back did suck. :-)
    It did indeed!! I had to use the starting block for my start (I usually grab off the gutter, but this wall for me feet was slick). Then on my underwater entry I ended up crossing over from Lane 1 almost into Lane 2. Had to veer back over to my own lane, and was way too deep. Turn was decent, SDKs decent. Finish, dove for the wall, and found out I could've easily had at least one more stroke. After my dive I was kicking fow what seemed forever!

My god...now I sound like a sprinter!
    The early morning and the workouts you've been doing lately would certainly not position you for speed. Don't worry about the 50 back; it's not a real event any way, especially in short course (I'll get back to you on an actual reference after I go into hiding from Leslie).

You gotta be happy with the negative split on your 500; it's a testament to the training you've been doing.

How deep was the pool at the start end? It looks very shallow at the turn end on the video from the 200.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    The early morning and the workouts you've been doing lately would certainly not position you for speed. Don't worry about the 50 back; it's not a real event any way, especially in short course (I'll get back to you on an actual reference after I go into hiding from Leslie).

You gotta be happy with the negative split on your 500; it's a testament to the training you've been doing.

How deep was the pool at the start end? It looks very shallow at the turn end on the video from the 200.
    I'm not worried about my speediness anyway at the moment, especially in things 100 and below. From my goals above, I'm aiming at the longer races anyway. I told my coach that I'd probably be negative splitting races this year for the first time ever, and that's solely on the new style of training I'm doing. Never have done this mix of training at any time in my career.

The start end of the pool is about 12 feet deep or so, and during the later part of the meet (particularly the 500) the sun comes in the upper windows to completely "blind" a swimmer coming into the finish end wall for the turn. I ended up counting strokes, and using the visual of the flags for my anticipation of the turn, and actually did well. Had I been looking solely for the wall in this case, I would've had a few crashes!
    The shallow end is about 3 feet, or 3 1/2 feet. The bad thing with the turn end is that the "T" on the bottom is out a long ways from the wall, and is very tricky to work with when someone isn't used to it. One reason I dislike freestyle in this pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I ended up counting strokes, and using the visual of the flags for my anticipation of the turn, and actually did well.
    I ended up just looking up to spot the wall on that end. It definitely slowed me down. I'm sure I would have beaten you otherwise

Just kidding. You definitely won that one fair and square. Next time we have a 500 duel let's try to go a little faster, though, OK?
    Spectacular job tying That Guy down to the hundredth. I am sure that amazed him exactly as much as it amazed you. It was amazing. Truly... don't let it happen again.

You have to be pretty happy with that 500 with your training load right now. We probably won't see too many more 50s out of you, but I bet the 500s continue to drift down in the SCY meets doing into early next year when you taper to break 5:00. It certainly seems reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I ended up just looking up to spot the wall on that end. It definitely slowed me down. I'm sure I would have beaten you otherwise

Just kidding. You definitely won that one fair and square. Next time we have a 500 duel let's try to go a little faster, though, OK?
    Bring it old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain;
    Spectacular job tying That Guy down to the hundredth. I am sure that amazed him exactly as much as it amazed you. It was amazing. Truly... don't let it happen again.

You have to be pretty happy with that 500 with your training load right now. We probably won't see too many more 50s out of you, but I bet the 500s continue to drift down in the SCY meets doing into early next year when you taper to break 5:00. It certainly seems reasonable.
    I didn't want to make him feel bad by creaming him, nor did I want to make him feel extremely good for beating me either.
    Yeah, 50s aren't my style...this meet was a last minute deal anyway, and I just tried to swim events that I wasn't doing in other upcoming meets...hence the 50 Back..YUCK!!!
    Great meet James! Really like that 500

If you did this well now, just imagine what you'll do once you taper for a meet
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great meet James! Really like that 500

If you did this well now, just imagine what you'll do once you taper for a meet
    Thanks Tim! It should be interesting later.