The FAF AFAP Digest

From A Dive, Thursday, Oct. 11

Rate this Entry
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
50 EZ
6 x 25 sculls (V sit, kickboard sit, front)
50 EZ
4 x 25 free no breather @ :40
50 EZ

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 burst dolphin kick + cruise @ 1:00
50 EZ
4 x 25 burst + cruise, fast hands @ 1:00
100 EZ

1 x 100 IM from dive off side, 1:05 high
-- Very psyched about this time! I was aiming for a 1:10. Splits were fabulous, as usual: 29/36. Even if I took it out slower, however, I'm not sure I'd come back any faster in free. My free always falls apart at the end of a 100 IM. This bodes well for a PR this season.
300 EZ

1 x 25 AFAP free from dive, 12 mid (bad breakout)
75 EZ

1 X 25 back shooter from the blocks, 12 flat, cramp on start
75 EZ

1 x AFAP broken 50 from a dive, break for :10 @ 25
-- did breast, 33 flatish
150 EZ

1 x AFAP broken 50 from a dive, break for :10 @ 25
-- went fly, 25 high (!)
200 EZ

1 x AFAP 50 free from dive off side, 26 low
-- took 3 breaths instead of 2
-- second breakout bad
200 EZ

6 x 40 w/bungee @ 2:00
-- 2 breast 10 fast strokes
-- 2 free 20 fast strokes
-- 2 back 20 fast strokes

2 x 40 kick w/bungee @ 2:00
-- kick until taut and hold for :20. 1 back kick, 1 dolphin kick on back

150 EZ

Total: 3450

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gave my fins a rest today and did a bunch of timed swims from a dive off the side. Really happy with the results. I feel like I'm getting back to the sweet spot I had last Spring in training (that eluded me over the summer). Getting psyched to rest a bit and race!

Then had a follow up visit with my ortho about the elbows. He gave me a cortisone shot and tried to poke around in the tendon a lot with the needle. No healing effect from the cortisone, of course, but I would like a break from the pain. Even though the elbow looks swollen to me and my chiro thought it was swollen, the doc says no. Tennis elbow is always degradation; it's unclear why cortisone and advil help with the pain. (I can't take advil with the nitro patches.) He reiterated that it takes a very very long time to heal. Read: forget about most upper body weights for another 10 months. I'll just stick with the few exercises I can do that don't bother the elbow too much.

Submit "From A Dive, Thursday, Oct. 11" to Digg Submit "From A Dive, Thursday, Oct. 11" to del.icio.us Submit "From A Dive, Thursday, Oct. 11" to StumbleUpon Submit "From A Dive, Thursday, Oct. 11" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Read: forget about most upper body weights for another 10 months
    That seems like a really long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Yep. Takes a full year for tennis elbow to heal. My doc said he'd had it once for 3 years. I haven't made much progress in the healing dept in the last 2 months. And I don't feel like following Geek's advice and not taking a stroke of breast or fly in practice. I'd rather slightly prolong the healing time. It sucks.
    But it might provide an interesting test of the effect on your swimming times.
    And I obviously didn't let it heal fully the first time after waiting 8 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb;
    But it might provide an interesting test of the effect on your swimming times.
    I haven't done my normal routine since last fall. I already think it had little effect on my short course times and hurt my long course times. Upper body strength and conditioning is just more important in long course sprinting.

It's not a true test this fall because I have been doing some flys and pullovers, which don't seem to bother my elbows much. At least I hope they don't. I haven't been able to do the explosive upper body work that I love -- ropes, med balls, push press, etc.