Main Sets:

10 x 25 burst dolphin kick + cruise @ 1:00
100 EZ

10 x (25 AFAP from dive or block, rolling on :59 + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
2 fly (12 high)
4 back (12 high)*
2 breast (16s)
2 free (12 flatish)

* Experimented with a different start in back. Lately, I've been flat backing a lot of my starts. Not enough back arch or toe flick or something. Today, I tried leaning back further ala Coughlin or Noriko. This causes me to go deeper, but I had a cleaner entry for 3/4 starts. Though I think this might work better with a throwing your arms straight back kind of start. Mine go to the side (see blog avatar). Also, with a deeper start, I need to be more careful about kicking up to the surface on time to not blast past 15 m. Not really sure which way is actually faster ...

100 EZ

2 x (broken AFAP 100 w/fins + 200 EZ)
-- break :10 @ 50 & 75
-- fly, :49
-- breast, :56
-- wanted to do another but was engaged in a long convo by a lifeguard

Kick ultra:
30 x 25 burst + cruise dolphin kick on back w/fins @ :30, cruised #16

100 EZ

-- wanted to do some parachute work, but had to get home to Lil Fort.

Total: 4100

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wasn't at all tired from yesterday's AFAP efforts, so went for my 4th HIT workout of the week. The ultra kick set seemed to take forever. Not sure if I'll do a recovery swim this weekend or go to Mason Sunday am with Teen Fort.

My elbow doesn't feel too badly from yesterday's jab. The doc said it would hurt 2-3 days and then feel much better. It kept me up some last night, but even now feels better than before. No healing, but less pain.

Strength study:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...-strength.html

Increased pool depth recommendation:
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...-Racing-Starts

Interesting article on breaststroke technique:
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...Technique-Talk
-- I definitely use the wide elbow approach.

Submit "Friday, Oct. 12" to Digg Submit "Friday, Oct. 12" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Oct. 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Oct. 12" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Ah, slowly but surely they will all come around! Perhaps Jazzhands will be the last to do so, and the most reluctant! But permit me to excerpt one quote from the strength study:

Practical Implication
    The correlation between maximal strength and swimming already lacks evidence. If running does not have a direct correlation with squat strength, then it is unlikely swimming has any correlation. Also, the only correlation was found in the 5-meter distance, a race much shorter than any swimming distance.

This study also did not look at elite athletes, making the connection between these participants and elite swimmers likely minimally. However, it supports the notion that maximal squat strength does not appear to be relative for running and likely swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Ah, slowly but surely they will all come around! Perhaps Jazzhands will be the last to do so, and the most reluctant! But permit me to excerpt one quote from the strength study:

Practical Implication
    The correlation between maximal strength and swimming already lacks evidence. If running does not have a direct correlation with squat strength, then it is unlikely swimming has any correlation. Also, the only correlation was found in the 5-meter distance, a race much shorter than any swimming distance.

This study also did not look at elite athletes, making the connection between these participants and elite swimmers likely minimally. However, it supports the notion that maximal squat strength does not appear to be relative for running and likely swimming.
    Still, maximal squat strength is different than other kinds of strength. It seems indisputable that core strength benefits swimming.
    Increased pool depth recommendation:
    It really doesn't matter what comes of the deliberations and discussion. The insurance industry is going to catch wind of this and either refuse to insure pools that are less than 6'7" for team use or charge much higher premiums for such pools. A large number of small colleges and high schools will use this and an excuse to shut down their swimming programs. Of course football is so much safer than swimming.... Arrrrgh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    It really doesn't matter what comes of the deliberations and discussion. The insurance industry is going to catch wind of this and either refuse to insure pools that are less than 6'7" for team use or charge much higher premiums for such pools. A large number of small colleges and high schools will use this and an excuse to shut down their swimming programs. Of course football is so much safer than swimming.... Arrrrgh!
    Quote Originally Posted by from the article on pool depth
    is recommending a minimum pool depth of 6 feet 7 inches for conducting racing starts, a proposal that would affect future pool construction and NOT existing pools.

This is good. That way they can't shut down the pools we currently and have been racing in for 20, 30, 40+ years.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    This is good. That way they can't shut down the pools we currently and have been racing in for 20, 30, 40+ years.
    In most of those pools, they also have signs prohibiting diving in in shallow lanes during public swim times.