View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Boo hoo! Bad 50 free!

Rate this Entry
by , October 15th, 2012 at 10:58 AM (1006 Views)
It is rare I a have a bad swim; here it is:

25.41 SCY

What happenned???!!!!

Actually, it is one of those swims that is going to happen every so many hundred races. I totally slipped on the blocks! It was one of those, oh crap, am I going to clear my back foot off the front of the block???!!!! And then an embarrassing spruce goose smacking landing. Actually, I had a good swim part, even though I lost the entire best 15 yards of the race (off the blocks and first 12.5 yards) and had to basically creep back up from everyone's knees to gut my way to a 4th in the heat. So the bad was that there is no way to recover from that poor a start. But the good is that I didn't hurt myself and I still executed the swim bits pretty good - I didn't panic and I didn't give up. Still kept to the 1/1 breathing and strong finish to eek in competitively with my heat. Overall, i'm still glad I went; I was not in the mood to even go to the meet but went because it has been awhile since I raced.

So, what can I do? Well, nothing really. That was really fluky. I think my timing was ever so slightly off - I think I tried too hard to get off the block with my front foot too soon, and thus left the back one "behind", and that is why it slipped, and why I couldn't salvage the dive with my front leg, because it had taken off too soon. So just a bit more emphasis with making sure the sequence is well-timed.

Next up:
Not sure. Most likely a local A meet so that I don't have to travel. Not my favorite order of events, and I may end up doing a 100 event - whatever is the most convenient in the order of events. I'd like to keep it short and in/out in 3 hours or less roundtrip.

Alterations to training? Not really. I'll probably continue with what I have been doing and doing very sprinty bits with very modified in between stuff. I don't think I need to do more or less, just to stay as consistent as possible with what I have been doing.

Submit "Boo hoo! Bad 50 free!" to Digg Submit "Boo hoo! Bad 50 free!" to del.icio.us Submit "Boo hoo! Bad 50 free!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Boo hoo! Bad 50 free!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yeah, these things happen from time to time. Last year I swam a 200 free where inexplicably one arm ended up at my side when I entered the water on the start. I felt like I was about six feet under water and at darn near a dead stop! I can't remember this ever happening before in either a meet or practice.
    I don't remember you going slower than 24.9 or so ...but this just shows that any error can cost .5. I've done bonehead things before too -- belly flop on start, only catching a toe on the wall on a flip turn, arm stuck underwater on breakout. It's hard to be perfect on the technical details all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yeah, these things happen from time to time. Last year I swam a 200 free where inexplicably one arm ended up at my side when I entered the water on the start. I felt like I was about six feet under water and at darn near a dead stop! I can't remember this ever happening before in either a meet or practice.
    Yes, that I can completely understand! A weird tweak and not anchoring your arms and then that arm blows back. But, better than blowing out your shoulder!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I don't remember you going slower than 24.9 or so ...but this just shows that any error can cost .5. I've done bonehead things before too -- belly flop on start, only catching a toe on the wall on a flip turn, arm stuck underwater on breakout. It's hard to be perfect on the technical details all the time.
    I know! I was actually quite embarrassed that I didn't break 25. That's spectacularly slow for me, but again, it just happens some times! The last time i've been DQ'd was a relay in 2003; I have never actually missed an event - yet. But it'll happen! My right leg kind of hurts a bit so I didn't swim yesterday. With the time since the race, I actually feel very lucky I didn't hurt my back!