View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Recovery days and other musings

Rate this Entry
by , October 18th, 2012 at 11:21 AM (927 Views)
I usually don't post my recovery days, but since my "training" is so unusual, I thought i'd give those who might like to see what I really do on MY recovery days.

I do think getting in for even a short swim is very beneficial. Not only do I still get a great shower & not have to use my own towels at home, but even very modest yardarge and time helps set me up for the next "real" workout.

Yesterday:

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center

300 warm up
4 x 50 swim with short fins
4 x 25 back/free
50 easy

The End.

Later.....30 minutes of yoga. This is short for "yoga inspired stretching and yoga-like poses".

Emphasis is on not getting tired out. Thinking about how going "easy" today will set me up for an explosive tomorrow.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The World According to Chowmi: Talking with teachers. The girls' school is very strict with late/missing assignments. I won't go into all the rules, but essentially you get major grade reductions if you turn in late work or missing work. My older daughter had a very unsual case - where it was truly teacher error. She did turn in her work, but the teacher said it was missing and she would get a zero. This is devastating, if you think about it! Anyway, the teacher actually had it in her stack, and it was marked with a 100. She said she'd correct it and enter the grade. It wasn't. Daughter asked her again, and she corrected it on the spot, in class, on the computer. It still was not reflected in parent portal. Apparently, it didn't save! Long story short, grades come out and it wasn't reflected. I talked to the teacher about it. Teacher said she would fix it. Ok, like i've heard that before. But now we are at your mercy to fix it. And it needs principal approval, etc. Very annoying. I don't know what else to do. I then sent an email reminder to the teacher and printed it out and put it in her mailbox. Here is the exact text!

Ms. XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to correct Claire's final grade due to the inputting error for the missing assignment grade. I appreciate your consideration. I should have also checked with you when it did not update after Claire told me she watched you perform the change in class last week. Could you tell me what her adjusted grade will be?

And also thank you for feedback on Claire's in-class behavior and constructive comments. Last period is tough to stay disciplined and i'll make an effort to remind her to focus on her work, not talk unnecessarily/socially, and to strive to continue consistency in your class.

Thank you again,

Claire's mom

I must say, I am a model of diplomacy and tact, if I do say so myself. The initial reaction when I saw the report....just image Yosemite Sam! Worst case is she changes her mind and doesn't change the grade. And by the way, the current grade is an 88, but should have been 95-96. Question, dear blog readers, what should I do - let it go or not? On one hand, getting a B in the 6th grades means very little. It is a great life lesson that sometimes, yes, you do get screwed, and guess what, even mom and dad can't fix it for you even though you were right, and yes, it's not fair. On the other hand, making A honor roll is VERY VERY difficult. And my daughters have made high honor roll each year (straight A's for the entire year). So this is very important to them, and to me. And let's face it, I think it's entirely ok to say it's about me, too!

The World According to Chowmi: in response to Lance Armstrong/drugs in general: I really don't care about the Lance thing. Just more noise in my already busy life. See immediate paragraph above for the most pressing issue in the forefront of my mind. Drugs. Let's see. As my husband says, they do a have a side effect - greatness! Actually, it's not on principle that I wouldn't take drugs. It's that they have no practical purpose for me. (This is sort of a joke as well.) If drugs either help you train longer, get strong, or recover faster, those aren't what I am looking for. I don't need to recover faster. I can skip workout, or see very beginning of post - that seems so skelatal, who needs to recover any faster than that? Do I want to train longer? That would be no. Do I want to actually have to work harder, lift more? Ditto no. I would like the drug where you can swallow it, or even better, it's like a sweet Flinstone chewable or gummy vitamin. Then I don't have to train or do anything, increasing the amount of time to be a helicopter parent, or watch more TV. Then enter meets and swim sensational. That's the drug I want! I wonder if Speedo agrees with me. And last, the drugs that might actually help you go totally crazy fast in a race are illegal, addictive, and nonspecific. I really would not do those kinds of drugs! If I took some illegal drug, I may swim faster, but it's more likely i'd never make it to the pool as I go racing down the highway on foot screaming that there are bugs under my skin.

++++++++++++++++++
Next up:
Playground monitoring today! And then it's off to a workout, IM day!

Submit "Recovery days and other musings" to Digg Submit "Recovery days and other musings" to del.icio.us Submit "Recovery days and other musings" to StumbleUpon Submit "Recovery days and other musings" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

If you want something that will help you without altering training try creatine maybe? lol. Highly recommended by Jazz Hands. But huge negative -- bloaty side effects.

By the third kid, I can't get too worked up about elementary school grades. Dealing with teens seems to have sapped/killed any remaining helicopter parenting in me. I'm just trying to survive on nights where Teen Fort, after being mean all day, comes in and ask for ideas/help on college essays at 10:30 pm.
    I wonder if Speedo agrees with me.
    Speedo is already taking that drug, it's called beer, and it allows him to barely train and achieve incredible times in practice.
    As someone with no experience in parenting but more experience than I'd like in having to be diplomatic and tactful, good job with the email.
    The initial reaction when I saw the report....just image Yosemite Sam! Worst case is she changes her mind and doesn't change the grade. And by the way, the current grade is an 88, but should have been 95-96. Question, dear blog readers, what should I do - let it go or not? On one hand, getting a B in the 6th grades means very little. It is a great life lesson that sometimes, yes, you do get screwed, and guess what, even mom and dad can't fix it for you even though you were right, and yes, it's not fair. On the other hand, making A honor roll is VERY VERY difficult. And my daughters have made high honor roll each year (straight A's for the entire year). So this is very important to them, and to me. And let's face it, I think it's entirely ok to say it's about me, too!
    IMO: (As Dad and Professor who would have been similarly annoyed) You should not intervene, but should talk to your daughter and help her figure out a way to handle the matter herself. To be successful in academe, one has to take charge of his/her own education, even in the 6th grade. Ultimately, getting the problem "fixed" may cost your daughter some political capital. This is a very common situation in life. This is a great opportunity for your daughter to learn about that. She will need to think about whether the value of getting the problem fixed is worth "cost" to her. Yes, getting the A honor roll has a cost, and sometimes that's not just study time. As ande says, "Is the prize worth the price?"

In my experience, the very best students often do not have the highest GPAs. The very best students care about learning the material, not the final grade. If one cares very much about learning the material, then she/he will learn the material and perform well academically, but the satisfaction of learning something new is the real reward, so there is little need to get the A at all costs, (like pi$$ing of the principal).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    If you want something that will help you without altering training try creatine maybe? lol. Highly recommended by Jazz Hands. But huge negative -- bloaty side effects.

By the third kid, I can't get too worked up about elementary school grades. Dealing with teens seems to have sapped/killed any remaining helicopter parenting in me. I'm just trying to survive on nights where Teen Fort, after being mean all day, comes in and ask for ideas/help on college essays at 10:30 pm.
    I got this P90X drink mix and it supposedly has creatine in it. Not sure what else is in this mix and not sure it would pass a drug test? However, I started bloating - and was worried for a bit that my metabolic Dorian Grey had given up on me. So I stopped drinking it and i'm back to my usual bloatiness, and not perpetual bloating.

I totally hear you. It's probably like when I hear parents going on and on about their babies/toddlers/preschoolers and I just want to tell them to chill.

My hubby floored me by saying maybe it's alright for the girls to slack off a bit. The real reason we were so involved was to get them into a grade 4-8 school to avoid the public MIDDLE schools. Their feeder high school is still our first choice. So what's the big deal if they get a bunch of A's sprinkled with Bs? Thanks for the perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Speedo is already taking that drug, it's called beer, and it allows him to barely train and achieve incredible times in practice.
    I'm allergic to alchohol. Many asians are. You get really red and a strange white line up your chest, like an alcholometer. I kid you not. Are you swimming in the local DAMM SCM meet? I am!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    As someone with no experience in parenting but more experience than I'd like in having to be diplomatic and tactful, good job with the email.
    Thank you. You also need to have an outlet to let out the steam first, like in Firestarter (back off, back off!). Thankfully, I have a few friends and when each one wants to vent and get it off her chest first, then we are all smiles and diplomacy when the moment arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    IMO: (As Dad and Professor who would have been similarly annoyed) You should not intervene, but should talk to your daughter and help her figure out a way to handle the matter herself. To be successful in academe, one has to take charge of his/her own education, even in the 6th grade. Ultimately, getting the problem "fixed" may cost your daughter some political capital. This is a very common situation in life. This is a great opportunity for your daughter to learn about that. She will need to think about whether the value of getting the problem fixed is worth "cost" to her. Yes, getting the A honor roll has a cost, and sometimes that's not just study time. As ande says, "Is the prize worth the price?"

In my experience, the very best students often do not have the highest GPAs. The very best students care about learning the material, not the final grade. If one cares very much about learning the material, then she/he will learn the material and perform well academically, but the satisfaction of learning something new is the real reward, so there is little need to get the A at all costs, (like pi$$ing of the principal).
    Thanks for your insights. I totally agree with your analsyis and theories. The good news is that the teacher has confirmed she will attempt to change the grade. The difficulty is simply the procedure once grades have already come out - principal approval and going "through the system". And that is all we can do is wait now.

For my sixthie, the real important thing at her age is to have been able to go to the A honor roll party, where they get 30 minutes on the playground and a disgusting cupcake. Everyone else has to sit in class, like it's punishment. I had a strong suspicion that there would be a spectacularly weird rule that she would not be able to go since her grade change isn't official, EVEN THOUGH it was this same teacher that would be letting her go or not during her class (last period). I told my sixthie, I know it's not fair and really weird, but don't show how upset you are and try to keep calm. She did a good job but was inside very sad.

I hear you on the grades vs. learning thing. Parents are people and they have their strengths and weaknesses. Mine is I never had a love of learning. It was always a competition to get the grade, or rather to get the best grade for the least amount of effort. I had to balance that with swimming, and a very second activity of playing the cello. I have already told my girls that. I have told them that I can't help them have a love of learning, only to be as efficient and effective with their time as possible. And mathematically how to approach classes to ensure decent grades. While learning is important, there's no reason why not to get a good grade at the same time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Tee hee - and yes, I was keenly aware that this is one of 6 reporting periods, with 5 MORE TO GO. Bottom line, I won't be doing a peep more about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Thank you. You also need to have an outlet to let out the steam first, like in Firestarter (back off, back off!). Thankfully, I have a few friends and when each one wants to vent and get it off her chest first, then we are all smiles and diplomacy when the moment arrives.
    Good friends and a steady mantra of "not until I have tenure and senior rank... not until I have tenure and senior rank..." count for a lot.
    I got this P90X drink mix and it supposedly has creatine in it. Not sure what else is in this mix and not sure it would pass a drug test? However, I started bloating - and was worried for a bit that my metabolic Dorian Grey had given up on me. So I stopped drinking it and i'm back to my usual bloatiness, and not perpetual bloating.

I totally hear you. It's probably like when I hear parents going on and on about their babies/toddlers/preschoolers and I just want to tell them to chill.

My hubby floored me by saying maybe it's alright for the girls to slack off a bit. The real reason we were so involved was to get them into a grade 4-8 school to avoid the public MIDDLE schools. Their feeder high school is still our first choice. So what's the big deal if they get a bunch of A's sprinkled with Bs? Thanks for the perspective.
    I'm VERY anti-bloating too after having a huge amount of it when I was hypo.

Babies and toddlers practically make me break out in hives and throw up.

Lil Fort is in that setting too. I think it must be an advantage to her to have a Mom who is half dead from parenting and training. Though there are still some things I am a nazi about -- like bedtime! In general, she is much more independent in school than my other two were at that age. She is now off on her own studying for 3 tests.
    Updated October 18th, 2012 at 08:03 PM by The Fortress
    School politics can always be quite unique depending on the teacher and how they like to operate.

Since the principal is somehow involved the process if you were to have cc'd him on the initial message it puts a slight onus of responsibility on the teacher to take action without too much of a delay. No one wants their higher up to ever get the impression that something could ever fall through the cracks no matter how small the matter is.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    School politics can always be quite unique depending on the teacher and how they like to operate.

Since the principal is somehow involved the process if you were to have cc'd him on the initial message it puts a slight onus of responsibility on the teacher to take action without too much of a delay. No one wants their higher up to ever get the impression that something could ever fall through the cracks no matter how small the matter is.
    Thanks, that is advice to file away. In this case, and since Claire confirmed that the teacher intends to send in the grade change, I won't worry about it and I think it's not worth the fight over the 88. If the principal won't ok it, it will only mean the teacher isn't willing to champion her own mistake, and i'd rather have 5 As than 1 A and subject Claire to a possibly vindictive teacher for the remainder of the school year. And BTW, she currently has a 100 in 2nd semester!

I pride myself on never having gone to the principal yet. I'm going to save my silver bullets for when I really will need to go in. And rule of thumb for me is, if you aren't going to file an official complaint form that goes into their files, then it may not be dire enough, or try yet another way to resolve it at the immediate teacher level.
    I'm VERY anti-bloating too after having a huge amount of it when I was hypo.

Lil Fort is in that setting too. I think it must be an advantage to her to have a Mom who is half dead from parenting and training. Though there are still some things I am a nazi about -- like bedtime! In general, she is much more independent in school than my other two were at that age. She is now off on her own studying for 3 tests.
    I am showing signs of Fortism. I didn't go to Parent teacher conferences this year or last year, except to talk to this one teacher, and not really about Claire's performance at all. Christ, she had all 90-100's on her work. A zero averaged in brought it down to an 88. It's time for me to shut up already. Anyone want me to start talking about Lance?

It's a normal reaction after many years of parenting.
    I am showing signs of Fortism. I didn't go to Parent teacher conferences this year or last year, except to talk to this one teacher, and not really about Claire's performance at all. Christ, she had all 90-100's on her work. A zero averaged in brought it down to an 88. It's time for me to shut up already. Anyone want me to start talking about Lance?
    I don't attend the 7:00 am meet and greet sessions at my kids' high school. You have about a minute with the teacher. I don't care that much what they look like. I have enough trouble remembering their names during the school year despite reading a zillion on line progress reports. I have never commented on a report card either. I did email Lil Fort's teacher on one occasion in second grade when she was being bullied by two kids. You say that word and you get an insta reaction!

Lance should confess all and write a book with all proceeds going to LiveStrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    It's a normal reaction after many years of parenting.
    I know. I just hope it wears off before any of my kids get the urge to become parents. With a 12 year old still, I'm not ready to change diapers and burb for a looooong time!