View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

part III Spring Break

Rate this Entry
Spent the am. doing some spring house cleaning...including half the windows. I'm gonna finish the upstairs windows tomorrow.
It snowed here today; where did spring go?

I had a good solo swim today at LA Fitness:

1) 800 Freestyle swim-pick up pace each 200.
2) 100 Dolfin kick on back (fins)
3) 4 X 200 Freestyle on 3:30 interval
4) 100 dolfin kick on back (fins)
5) 8 X 100 Free on 1:50 interval
6) 100 Flutter Kick on back (fins)
7) 10 X 75 on 1:30 interval-half freestyle/half IM roll
8) 100 Flutter Kick on back (fins)
9) 4 X 25 Fly HARD
10) Easy 100 IM cool-down
3,700 Yards Felt strong too!

I decided to start lifting weights today. I showered, got dressed, and hit the machines.
NOT a great idea......my swim workout from above had wore me out.....I was hungry.......no energy.......and mentally ready to move on to something besides working out. Maybe if I had some food, or a break of some kind I'd be better?
I remember why I don't like weight machines. The Nautilas/Hammer type isolate each body part to exercise it. All dynamic movements I know how to do (including swimming) originate and generate its power from the core (hip area) of the body. Sometimes I tend to want to swim with my arms too much......weight machines seem to exaggerate this notion. I think I may just stick with yoga/Pilates for core strength. I may be too old to really benefit from the use of weights.
Okay, I'm going to go read a book.....I love to read but usually fall asleep anytime I sit down and try to do it.

Submit "part III Spring Break" to Digg Submit "part III Spring Break" to del.icio.us Submit "part III Spring Break" to StumbleUpon Submit "part III Spring Break" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You're not "too old" to not benefit from weights!! Plenty of other things you can do in the gym for core strength. What about freee weights or DBs and BBs? Jaz and Hulk really prefer those because they hit more muscles.

I have been doing a lot of weights-swim doubles lately and find it pretty exhausting. I try to eat something in between or I bonk. It's easier to separate the workouts, but then you're back and forth to the gym a lot and it's more time ...

Nice swim workout!
    I have successfully lifted then swam, but the other way around is a disaster.

You will definitely benefit from weights. Weight bearing exercises prevent osteoporosis. There, a benefit

Since you are looking for something a little more dynamic, if you have access free weights and someone to show you proper technique, do squats, deadlifts, pullups, and clean to presses. That isn't a workout, just some exercises that will engage your core and require some focus to execute safely. Aka, not boring machines.

I am sure you can come up with something that will entertain you in the weight room and benefit you.
    I heard that Barbara Walters and Lesley Stahl do some kind of weight lifting and they are in their 60s and 70s. You are never too old for weight lifting. Just ease into it if you haven't done it for a while.