View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday, April 6

Rate this Entry
Swam and lifted at the Tucson Y today. Really nice Y!! The weight/exercise room was jam packed. However, there was another room with plentiful free weights and hammer machines that was relatively empty. The pool was fine, and had a nice view of the mountains. However, I just can't swim backstroke fast outside. Doing shooters on your back is even worse. Glare, glare, glare. I'm sure it's an east coast disability. Aside from backstroke, it's lovely swimming outside in the sunshine.

Weights:

decline press on Hammer machine, 90 x 2 x 10 (couldn't find a standard bench press Hammer machine)
ground squat on Hammer machine, 90 x 2 x 10 (these were an interesting cross between a conventional squat and a deadlift/rack pull. probably should have used more weight.)
alternating hammers, 20 x 2 x 20
overhead trcipet press, 35 x 2 x 15
2 x 8 neutral grip pull ups
front lat pulldown on Hammer machine, 130 x 2 x 12
push ups on flat part of bosu, 2 x 15
(a man tried to warn me that this might hurt my shoulders)
back extensions w/25 lb weight, 2 x 25
elevated crunches w/10 lb weight held by feet, 2 x 25
dead bug on bosu, 2 x 15
supported reverse crunches w/10 weight held by feet, 2 x 15
incline crunch, 2 x 25
decline reverse crunch, 2 x 25

Swim:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Aerobic Sets:

4 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00
1st 4: fly back
2nd 4: backstroke kick
3rd 4: back breast
4th 4: dolphin kick on back

8 x 100 w/fins @ 1:50
done 25 shooter, 25 back, 25 fast fly, 25 easy
(did 2 shooters on my back and flipped over to belly for the rest)

50 EZ

Backstroke Kick Set:

4 x through:

100 tempo backstroke kick @ 2:00
50 backstroke kick fast @ 1:00
50 easy @ 1:00

Speed Set:

8 x (25 AFAP + 25 easy) w/fins
4 fast free, 4 fast fly

150 EZ

Total: 3700

Wish I could break up my workouts more. Feel like I've been doing back to back weight-swim frequently lately and it's rather exhausting ...

Lap swimmers in Tucson aren't as noodly as my usual pool. There were a couple pretty fast masters swimmer there. (Doing 100 freestyles and slow kicking though.) The masters group works out at 5:30-700 AM, not pm as my mother told me. Hence, I will not be availing myself of this option, despite the time change. (No way will I be able to stay on east coast time.)

Submit "Monday, April 6" to Digg Submit "Monday, April 6" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, April 6" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, April 6" to Google

Updated April 8th, 2009 at 09:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

  1. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    How did you like the Hammer decline press?
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    How did you like the Hammer decline press?
    Seemed fine, Jazz. Perhaps slighty easier than the regular bench and incline I did previously.

    Why do you ask?
  3. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Well, I don't have any access to Hammer Strength right now. I remember using that particular machine before and thinking it was better than any other press machine I've used, but that was a long time ago.

    I would definitely expect it to be easier at the same weight. Use more weight!
  4. aztimm's Avatar
    If you want to swim with a group, the masters team at the U of A has 3 workouts a day, I think 6am, noon, and 6:30pm. I started swimming with masters there, and I think Jim Stites still coaches mornings. Evenings are usually a bit more low-key.

    Which Y were you at? I swam at one on the East side of town (I think near Broadway and Houghton), and it seemed run down/old, and the pool wasn't too nice (it was outside, but I went in the evening so it was dark).

    Forgot you'd be in Tucson this week, let me know if you make it up to Phoenix, you can go for a run with me! Looks like I'll be down there next week.

    Along with everything that Patrick said, I'd also suggest getting to Sabino Canyon (in the NE part of town, I lived very close), and if you have time do the drive up/down Mount Lemmon (I think there's a charge for that now). Since you'll be down to Kartchner Caverns, maybe make a daytrip and go to Bisbee, it is a cute kitschy down down that way.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Well, I don't have any access to Hammer Strength right now. I remember using that particular machine before and thinking it was better than any other press machine I've used, but that was a long time ago.

    I would definitely expect it to be easier at the same weight. Use more weight!
    I do like the Hammer machiens quite a bit. A lot of range of motion, as you've noted.

    More weight? Yeesh, I'm already tired.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    If you want to swim with a group, the masters team at the U of A has 3 workouts a day, I think 6am, noon, and 6:30pm. I started swimming with masters there, and I think Jim Stites still coaches mornings. Evenings are usually a bit more low-key.

    Which Y were you at? I swam at one on the East side of town (I think near Broadway and Houghton), and it seemed run down/old, and the pool wasn't too nice (it was outside, but I went in the evening so it was dark).

    Forgot you'd be in Tucson this week, let me know if you make it up to Phoenix, you can go for a run with me! Looks like I'll be down there next week.

    Along with everything that Patrick said, I'd also suggest getting to Sabino Canyon (in the NE part of town, I lived very close), and if you have time do the drive up/down Mount Lemmon (I think there's a charge for that now). Since you'll be down to Kartchner Caverns, maybe make a daytrip and go to Bisbee, it is a cute kitschy down down that way.
    I was at the YMCA on Shannon Road in NW Tucson. I'm usually not a Y fan at all. But this one is very nice.

    Planning on driving up Mt. Lemmon too.

    I might try to get to the others masters group, depending on my sight seeing and lazing around schedule.
  7. Bobinator's Avatar
    Hi Fort! Are you on spring break? Arizona is a beautiful state! My son just spent the winter in Tempe, he loved it!
    I am never going to do weights AFTER swimming again!
    I really just wanted to sit on the machines, stretch, and yawn. Next time I will do them before I swim I guess.
    Do you think 2 X per week is enough?
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    I'm with my youngest on spring break. It is outrageously sunny and beautiful here.

    I usually lift first. The only time I've lifted after was when I had rested 6 hours or so. Can't imagine lifting after swimming!

    2x a week is plenty for weights, especially when you're just getting started. Many people never do more than that. I've never done more than 2x until the last few months when I've bumped up to 3x a week, but still not every week. I think the yoga/pilates can help with core strength and are great for flexibility. But strength is something different. I'd hate to get old and be weak and not be able to do stuff ...
  9. rtodd's Avatar
    Hammer machines are great. Any plate loaded machine has a nice feel. Always better than cable.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Hammer machines are great. Any plate loaded machine has a nice feel. Always better than cable.
    You just have to spend all that time loading and unloading!