View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 10/22/12:

Rate this Entry
I was able to split the lane with GregJS today for a great lunchtime swim ...

w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
10 x 50 with snorkel
- odds = Fr DPS on :45
- evens = kick with board on :55

On to a Broken 1650

Try to hit your 1650 pace during the broken swim. Pick a Base + :10 for the interval (my base is 1:20 - so 1:30).

3 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (went 1:06.50, 107.75, 1:08.43)
4 x 150 Free @ 2:15 (went 1:46.81, 1:49.00, 1:49.44, 1:51.82)
3 x 200 Free @ 3:00 (went 2:30.68, 2:27.75, 2:28.62)
3 x 50 Free @ :45 (went 31.56, 30.87, 31.62)
(1650 add-up time: 19:40)
(Total set time: 24:20.68)
50 ez, followed by 50 breast

6 x 100 Bk on 1:30 (1:15, :16, :16, :18, :14)
3 x 200 Fr Pull with buoy and snorkel on 2:50
1 x 50 loosen and out
(Solo/Rec/4100 yds/80 min)
--------------------------

Great to run into Greg today and get some feedback on the coached workouts I have been using with our team. Also to pick his brain about technique on breaststroke (here is that link we talked about related to [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21401"]kicking[/ame] - post 16+).

I have been wanting to do this broken mile again, and since the lane was not full today I did it. I knew that I would not be as fast as I was in Februrary (different time in the training cycle), and was just under 50 seconds slower today. Oh well - a good quality set none the less

Since things were quiet, I popped off some backs, focusing on at least 4 sdk per wall and max 10 strokes per length; accomplished. I need to swim more backstroke in practice with the 200 bk coming up at the BU meet in December.

I mentioned to Greg that I plan to do the Brute Squad events (400 IM, 200 Fly, 1500) at the Riverton meet in a few weeks. Even though they are not running the numbers this year for the competition, I figure I will give it a shot as it is the only meet in our neck of the woods swimming a 1500 scm (which I planned on doing anyways). Should be a good challenge! Wonder if John and Susan are going to give it a go

Submit "Workout 10/22/12:" to Digg Submit "Workout 10/22/12:" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 10/22/12:" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 10/22/12:" to Google

Tags: 1650
Categories
Swim Workouts , Timed swims

Comments

Your broken mile set looks fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen Marais
    Your broken mile set looks fun!
    It's a great set. PWB and Chris do lots of variations of this. Stick to the base guidelines, as I got between 18-30 seconds rest between each swim. A good mix of pain and gain! Give it a shot
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    It's a great set. PWB and Chris do lots of variations of this. Stick to the base guidelines, as I got between 18-30 seconds rest between each swim. A good mix of pain and gain! Give it a shot
    How do you get such accurate times on your repeats and remember them long enough to add them up?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    How do you get such accurate times on your repeats and remember them long enough to add them up?
    My wife got me a finger lap counter/stopwatch by speedo for my birthday. Great for timing efforts. My buddy Greg has a similar gadget from kiefer.

One of my blog side boxes to the left has a website that allows you to add distance and time splits for cumulative times - 'math for dummies.'
    My wife got me a finger lap counter/stopwatch by speedo for my birthday. Great for timing efforts. My buddy Greg has a similar gadget from kiefer.

One of my blog side boxes to the left has a website that allows you to add distance and time splits for cumulative times - 'math for dummies.'
    Hm, I think Mr. Retired Obsessive Lap Swimmer Man (aka my pal Mike) has something sort of like that. I'll have to check it out at the pool one morning. I can't see one of the pace clocks and the other sometimes gets moved while I'm using it.

Might be a good Christmas present...
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Might be a good Christmas present...