View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Rate this Entry
by , October 24th, 2012 at 07:05 PM (234 Views)
SCY @FGCU Aquatic Center.
Air temp of 82, pool at 78, 100% water clarity.
Cloudy skies with humidity at 65%

Freestyle
Focus - Stroke Technique

*Warm up*
1x400 FR Drills

*Set 1*
2x1000 on 15min
do each one as
  • 500 EZ legs, smooth pull
  • 300 moderate 4k, stronger pull
  • 200 steady 4-6K, firm controlled pull

*Set 2*
2x500 on 1min rest, do as
  • 250 EZ legs, smooth pull
  • 250 steady 4-6k, stronger pull

*Set 3*
3x400 on 1min rest, do as
  • 200 EZ legs, strong pull
  • 200 steady 4-6k, firm controlled pull

*Set 4*
4x300 on 1min rest, do as
  • 200 EZ legs, strong pull
  • 100 strong 4-6k, firm controlled pull

*Set 5*
5x200 on :30 rest, do as
  • 100 EZ legs, strong pull
  • 100 strong 4-6k, firm controlled pull

Warm down: 100 EZ

Comments:
  • The coach looked at my FR stroke last week, and once again, the truth about one's stroke flaws stings a bit, and corrective progress gradually evolves unevenly over weeks of practice. Last April/May I swam reasonably well because I finally got in pretty good swimming shape and became relatively stronger with consistent weight training (not surprising as I did not do any strength activity other than pushups the last 12 years).
  • The endurance and strength I enjoyed at that time also appeared to moderately mask my more obvious stroke flaws. What is most apparent at this point, is how quickly I can LOSE hard earned endurance and strength in eight weeks!
  • The three biggest errors in my FR are; 1) head goes out of alignment on left side breathing (my favored side), 2) breathing too late on left side, and 3) the right hand drifts out laterally past line of shoulder before the catch.
  • With Coach patiently providing visual/verbal feedback (I am nearly deaf in the water), I was able to calm my head position minimizing breathing motion and looking more downward to the lane line. By cropping my arm/shoulder recovery closer to my head in front of ears, I was able to keep the extension of the hands and arms more linear directly into the catch. So for now Coach approves of my progress.
  • So having said all that, in the workout today, the focus starting each swim was to cruise just a bit faster than warmup but implement the desired stroke technique and then complete the swim with a slightly stronger pull but same form, with the support of a solid streamlined flutter kick.
  • It was harder to do than expected; after completing many of those 500s to 200s my HR was typically about 27/29 for 10, or 15-16 for 6. Last March/April after Coach challenged me weekly with several lactate level fast swimming sets LC where my HR was up as high as 19-21 for 6 (some of those swims were really painful), by the end of April I was able to swim almost an hour of straight and broken swims where my HR would average about 15-17 for 6. The effort was not that much easier, but I just got used to it.

Submit "Wednesday, October 24, 2012" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, October 24, 2012" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, October 24, 2012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, October 24, 2012" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments