600 various
8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
5 x 50 fly drills @ something
4 x 25 burst + cruise
200 social kick
50 EZ

Total: 1400

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Met up with Pete for a pre-meet swim. I didn't feel as good as yesterday. I need to be less lazy and do some stretching. The trash talking has already started in my house. And according to the psycho sheet, I have some good races at the meet. I am going to decide which event to scratch (100 breast or 50 back) after I swim the 50 free. 3 events before the Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters is all I can manage. And I need to print out a split request form. Teen Fort asked me if you were allowed to scratch events in masters. I smiled and told her I do that practically every meet!

Exercise protects against brain shrinkage:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1...well&seid=auto

Submit "Friday, Oct. 26" to Digg Submit "Friday, Oct. 26" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Oct. 26" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Oct. 26" to Google

Updated October 26th, 2012 at 05:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I love that you bring your own already-filled-out split request form to meets!!!
    Teen Fort asked me if you were allowed to scratch events in masters. I smiled and told her I do that practically every meet!
    Wrong answer. With age comes privilege: You may scratch. She may not, of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Wrong answer. With age comes privilege: You may scratch. She may not, of course
    Ha! Technically, I just told her that I scratch frequently. (Part of it is that I just never absolutely sure what I want to swim and like to make game day decisions.) I didn't really give her permission. And she only signed up for 3 events anyway. She actually tried to tell me the other day that she doesn't "recover that well" from racing. I laughed my head off.
    Quote Originally Posted by 200free
    I love that you bring your own already-filled-out split request form to meets!!!
    It's the control freak in me. And I don't want to take the time to do it there. Though I guess I have on a couple occasions. And technically we just need to turn it in by the end of the meet, right?
    There's this bias in pop science, where cognitive and psychological effects are not considered "real", but any physical phenomenon in the brain is both real and Serious Science worthy of hype. Here's a much older article about how physical exercise prevents cognitive decline: http://pss.sagepub.com/content/14/2/125.short

The NYT article doesn't mention the existence of such studies, even though it points out that the new study is only correlational. The 2003 study I linked to was a meta-analysis of intervention studies.

Yes, I can rant about anything This one bugs me because I was a psych major and I started noticing it all the time. Neuroscience is trendy, psychology is old. B.F. Skinner and whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    There's this bias in pop science, where cognitive and psychological effects are not considered "real", but any physical phenomenon in the brain is both real and Serious

Yes, I can rant about anything
    Seems true!

And that's a handy life skill. Makes for interesting conversation.