Friday, October 25, 2012
by, October 26th, 2012 at 06:05 PM (327 Views)
SCY @FGCU Aquatic Center
Air temp of 79, pool at 78, 100% water clarity.
Cloudy dark gray possible rainy skies with humidity at 70%
Focus - Stroke Technique
1x400 FR Drills
Swam 5 rounds of:
- 200 EZ legs, smooth pull
- 200 moderate 4k, stronger pull
200 BR Kick with Snorkel
200 BR 50 K/bk, 50 Swim
4x500 FR on 1min rest or HR=>11/6
Swam each as:
- 400 EZ legs, strong pull
- 100 steady 4-6k, firm controlled pull
1x1000 FR w/paddles
Swam 5 rounds of:
- 150 EZ legs, strong pull
- 50 steady 4-6k, firm controlled pull
Warm down: 100 EZ
- Today is the best day of this week because my wife returns from two week business trip to Shanghai, China - we get to pick her up at RSW airport tonight. Hurray!
- Before getting in the water, I had planned to do some basic early season intervals: 400 cruise on 5min, 4x50s on :45 @33-34 pace, 2x100 on 1:30 @ 1:07-08 pace, 1x200 on 3:00 @ 2:16-18 pace, perhaps 3-4 rounds continuous.
- During the warmup - I felt like trash. The week of swim workouts along with wk #1 of weights & core work at night had taken more of a toll than expected. I will have to work up to it again, like I did last spring. Really - what was I thinking...
- Set 1: A basic cruise doing the best form and technique possible in a tired state. My coach said it would be good for me, so I did it.
- Set 2: A break from Freestyle
- Set 3: A broken version of Set 1, but to make sure there was sufficient recovery for maximum stroke focus.
- Set 4: This was actually fun. I like swimming with paddles (medium size, just slightly larger than hands) because it helps my feel of the water, reinforces stroke technique, and it is always good to swim faster, even with a little help.