View RSS Feed

Colleen Conway's blog

old habits die hard.

Rate this Entry
Now that I am starting off fresh as a masters swimmer, I know I should be changing my training from what it was a long time ago, yes the crazy days of mega yardage, but for some reason it did work for me in the past, so I plan on using some of the crazy sets of the past occasionally maybe once a week or every other week, to build my endurance while I continue with speed work.

This set is one from a training trip to Ft Lauderdale. 14x 1,000s. On the training trip this set was done in a long course pool, so obviously that will be different than now in a SCY pool. It wasnt as boring as a 10,000 for time, because it was broken up. There is lots of IM, 10x 100s kick, 1000 IM by 250, 1000 swim, 5x 200s, 10x 100 stroke etc. I actually need to look in my old log book to see what it was. Im going to change it to 10x 1000s now.

What sparked this desire to kick my own butt? Lets just say I am a little bit competitive and it drives me nuttttttttttttttts when I'm working hard but someone kicks my a** because I'm not working as hard as I should be. LOL. So.

Because of Hurricane Sandy, I will have to do it tomorrow or wait, possible a week depending on what happens. My husband will have the privilege of watching our daughter, because this will obviously take a few hours. He works for the power company so he is actually on call, and will be working crazy overtime as of Sunday so I guess I will have to do this set tomorrow if at all, otherwise in a week. So I will see if I can do it tomorrow, but I'll have to use this new pool/gym I just joined because there is an age group meet the whole weekend at my other pool. The pool is ok, small but it is cloudy as heck I felt like I was open water swimming, before every turn I had to lift my head to make sure where I was. Doing 10x 1000s in a cloudy pool might be craziness, but at the same time its a quiet place with non-swimmers so it might be pleasant.

Tonight in that pool, because I did a lot of speedwork yesterday, I did 4x 500s mixed: 500 free (4th lap back), 500 pull w bouy, 500 breastroke (50 double kick drill, 50 swim), and 500 pull w/ bouy.

Submit "old habits die hard." to Digg Submit "old habits die hard." to del.icio.us Submit "old habits die hard." to StumbleUpon Submit "old habits die hard." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

As you already know from your previous experiences, consistency is the key. Whatever the workout agenda, volume, or technical focus, just keeping at it over days, weeks, months and then years lead to fitness, results, and fun. Only now you are not a growing young swimming in HS or College.... FYI - My parents had a second home in Forked River, so I have also been to Toms River often, but never to the Ocean County YMCA. The monster set; I have never done a 14-10K set, and would likely fail on my own, but could certainly step up to it with another participant or two. For sure, I was always in awe of Mike Bruner's sub minute pace the a 10K SCY swim under Bill Rose in the early 1970's
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    FYI - My parents had a second home in Forked River, so I have also been to Toms River often, but never to the Ocean County YMCA.
    Hi Fdtotten! Yeah if you are ever traveling in the area again, you should definitley check the pool out at the OCY, its got a 12 lane pool and a 6 lane pool in another room which I think is pretty awesome, I've never been to a pool like that other than meets in Rutgers. So nice not to be crowded in
    Eek!!!

Maybe you should work up gradually to that much yardage? Give your shoulders a chance to adjust? (Though I honestly don't think those sets are helpful for 50/100 fly.)
    Hi Colleen, I hope you are weathering the storm okay. Scary stuff!
    Thanks ekw, I am ok, but will never stay in the area through something like this again even though our home was not right by the water, our home is in Manahawkin (in a non-bay area). But it seems like everyone in NJ got hammered. The wind sounded like tornadoes coming through. The boats piled everywhere on the roads around here, homes gone is just shocking from the pictures. My parents have a summer beach home on long beach island like 8 mins from where i live, and we heard it is fine luckily due to beach replenishment we JUST had pre-summer. All of my best friends I had growing up were from LBI, people I ocean lifeguarded with and we've had some good news for a few so far. So many people lost so much, so I am thinking of everyone at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen Marais
    Thanks ekw, I am ok, but will never stay in the area through something like this again even though our home was not right by the water, our home is in Manahawkin (in a non-bay area). But it seems like everyone in NJ got hammered. The wind sounded like tornadoes coming through. The boats piled everywhere on the roads around here, homes gone is just shocking from the pictures. My parents have a summer beach home on long beach island like 8 mins from where i live, and we heard it is fine luckily due to beach replenishment we JUST had pre-summer. All of my best friends I had growing up were from LBI, people I ocean lifeguarded with and we've had some good news for a few so far. So many people lost so much, so I am thinking of everyone at this time.
    I'm glad to hear that. I grew up in Central NJ and it took a while to hear from my dad (my mom is out of town so she missed it). There's no power and a lot of stuff came down, but fortunately none of it was on our house or cars.

A ton of people I went to high school with live in Hoboken and have had a lot of damage. We used to vacation in Seaside Heights and it's so sad to see how much damage they had.

I live on the Alabama Gulf Coast now, which is traditionally hurricane country, and people are really jaded about evacuating. My attitude is that if they say to get out, I'm taking the pets and a few possessions I value most and getting out. The problem with this is that the university I work for waits until the last minute to make decisions and I've been told that evacuation routes are totally clogged by then. The only storm I've been here for was Isaac earlier this summer and that hit to the west of us, though the folks by the gulf, bay, and rivers had a lot flooding.

Anyway, really glad to hear you are okay and I am definitely thinking about everyone affected by the storm.