View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sprint Classic Report, Oct. 29

Rate this Entry
Fantastic time had as per usual at this fun meet. I had a first half bad/second half very good meet.

50 free split in 100 free, epic fail

The starter held us forever ... Had a poor breakout but then motored along ... until .. I only got half of one foot on the wall and lost all momentum. I just cruised the rest of the length and hopped out. I was disappointed as I wanted to crank a fast 50, but I've never been a huge fan of bulkhead turns (though I've never screwed up this badly). I also think the 50 free is not a great first event. I seem to swim it better after I've gotten the cobwebs out. Live and learn, and crap happens. No big deal.

50 breast split in 100, 33.6

Meh. I got off the blocks very fast, but didn't have my best underwater and had to float to the surface. Then I was so preoccupied with the next pullout that I forgot to keep my head down. So the second 25 was icky. I know I can go faster.

Teen Fort was in the same heat. She insisted on taking her 100 out in 32.9 to make sure I did not think I was an evil stroker. She will likely make TT in that event based on last years rankings.

100 IM, NS

I decided to pause and regroup and refuel at this point. It also seemed more fun to swim the 50 back later next to my speedy friend Susan. Masters perogative. There was a break around this point and I hopped in and did a couple backstroke starts as I hadn't done any in warm up. Jazz Hands, who hasn't swum at all lately, hopped in and did an AFAP 50 from a push in a brief. Teen Fort got him at 23.3. His low volume approach seems to work for him!

Also video'd Teen Fort winning the 50 breast, where she declared she had a "sexy start." I think many PV folk were entertained having a very extroverted 18 year old on deck.

50 back, 27.8

I was hoping, ideally, to crank a high 27 and so was very happy with the time. Last year at the Sprint Classic, I went a 28.2. I took 15 & 16 kicks by 25 pursuant to the race plan. I was told I was right at 15m on the start and a foot short on the second 25. Teen Fort video'd this race for me. I heard her scream "Go Mom" before the start, which really made me smile.

Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=xBpKvgGZHj0#!

I could have taken one more SDK on the second 25!

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters, 1st, cumulative time of 52.21

Getting a bit tired by this point. So I was really shocked that I pulled off my four fastest 25s EVER during 8 years of competing in this event including with tech suits. I needed to go faster this year too bc there were some fast times thrown down by the other female sprinter beasts. I felt like I had great blasto fast off the blocks starts with good distance. My plyometric focus seems to have transformed my forward starts in the last year or so. They were such a glaring weakness for a few years.

25 fly, 1st

Last year 13.30. This year 12.30. WTH?! I must have messed up last year? I had a great start here, but a subpar breakout. Still, seems very quick.

25 back, 1st

Last year, 13.45. This year, 13.06. I totally flat backed the start. But still got away quickly and took my usual 15 kicks and stuck the finish.

25 breast, 2nd behind Teen Fort of course

Last year, 15.79. This year, 15.24. I had maybe my best start of the meet in this race. Teen Fort had to come from behind to preserve her family evil stroke domination. My stroke felt much better than in the previous 50. I will have to chant head down before future breaststroke races.

25 free, 1st:

Last year, 12.25. This year, 11.61. Another great start, a little glidey at the finish. I think this bodes well for a fast 50 free in the future. Well, assuming I can execute a flip turn.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So all in all a pretty good meet despite some early technical difficulties. I'm pleased to have this much speed early in the season.

More fun and beers had at Speedo's after party. I think my shoulders will feel mashed up later from all the starts. I may beg Mr. Fort for a back rub.

Storm coming. 70 MPH winds expected. I really really hope we don't lose power, but it seems likely. School is already cancelled Monday and Tuesday much to the delight of my kids.

Submit "Sprint Classic Report, Oct. 29" to Digg Submit "Sprint Classic Report, Oct. 29" to del.icio.us Submit "Sprint Classic Report, Oct. 29" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sprint Classic Report, Oct. 29" to Google

Updated October 28th, 2012 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice going in the meet! It's too bad you couldn't nab all 1st places in the 25s.
    Be safe over there with the storm, and if you're in need of an extreme OW swimming event, I'm sure they'll be abundant everywhere over there!
    Congratulations! Do they do electronic timing for the 25s?

Your cumulative time wasn't too far off the all-time top 100 IM men's record in USMS: M25-29 Mark Gangloff 02-13-10 48.27

And you beat convincingly your teammie, Clay Brit, in the same age group:

M50-54 Clay Britt 04-28-12 54.42
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice going in the meet! It's too bad you couldn't nab all 1st places in the 25s.
    Be safe over there with the storm, and if you're in need of an extreme OW swimming event, I'm sure they'll be abundant everywhere over there!
    I didn't get crushed as bad as I though I would in the 25 breast. I was happy with the time and the 1-2 result!

I fear there will be no swimming for 2 days ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Congratulations! Do they do electronic timing for the 25s?

Your cumulative time wasn't too far off the all-time top 100 IM men's record in USMS: M25-29 Mark Gangloff 02-13-10 48.27

And you beat convincingly your teammie, Clay Brit, in the same age group:

M50-54 Clay Britt 04-28-12 54.42
    Yes, electronic timing for the 25s.

I was just surprised I was that much faster than last year.

I actually added wrong. My cumulative time was 52.21. I was a 54+ last year.
    Very speedy swimming ... especially capping off with a well-sub-12 on the freestyle.

It must be fun having your daughter there. I've got three more years before I'm hoping to reprise "Brundage Swim Masters" and get a three generation relay going with my dad and my two older daughters.
    Looks like a great meet, especially with all the medical stuff going on. You'll be primed for BU!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very speedy swimming ... especially capping off with a well-sub-12 on the freestyle.

It must be fun having your daughter there. I've got three more years before I'm hoping to reprise "Brundage Swim Masters" and get a three generation relay going with my dad and my two older daughters.
    Thx Patrick,

It was fun having her there, though HS swimming is around the corner and then rowing in the spring. So I'm not sure how many more meets she'll get to do with me. Maybe the SCM one in Nov. But I feel like I've done my job introducing her to masters!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Looks like a great meet, especially with all the medical stuff going on. You'll be primed for BU!
    Thx Mike. Oddly, the elbow hurts more just sitting at home on the couch than in the water. It's really the gym stuff I have to avoid.
    You dominated that 50 back! Your start was like a rocket blast.
    Great meet. Bummer about the 50free but S happens sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suna Fish
    You dominated that 50 back! Your start was like a rocket blast.
    Thx, though I wouldn't call it dominating. Plyos are good for the rocket blast effect. Though I still think I'm not getting in cleanly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Great meet. Bummer about the 50free but S happens sometimes.
    Yeah, I was pretty non-plussed as I've had S happen on quite a few occasions over the years.
    Looks like a great meet for you also! I'm happy to see the positive attitude, stuff happens, move on

We're you next to Teen_Fort in any of the races? That would be fun to watch! Is she going to Boston with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Looks like a great meet for you also! I'm happy to see the positive attitude, stuff happens, move on

We're you next to Teen_Fort in any of the races? That would be fun to watch! Is she going to Boston with you?
    Thx Tim! Yeah, it didn't bug me much. Nothing you can do when that happens. Seems like not a terribly uncommon occurrence on bulkheads.

Teen Fort and I were in the same heat for the 100 breast, but not next to each other. We were next each other in the 25 breast. I beat her on the start and pulldown, but she killed me on the swimming part. She's not coming to BU with me; it's prime HS swim season. She may do the Nov. 18 SCM meet.