Thurs, Nov. 1, 2012 7:05-9:00pm
by, November 2nd, 2012 at 01:10 AM (600 Views)
Wasn't really too late today from my son's swim lesson, and was able to get in the entire "pointless in my eyes" warmup.
900 (50 Fist Swim Free/25 V-Sit Scull/25 SDK on back/50 Fist Swim Breast)
9 x 100 @ 1:50 (1st 50 85%, 2nd 50 100% by using legs)
- 3 Strong Str. - did Fly went 1:09s
- 4 Free - Did 1:05/1:05/1:04/1:03
- 3 Strong Str. - did Fly went 1:09/1:10/1:1uggggly
- 3 + 4 + 3 doesn't equal 9, but count on age groupers to screw things up and make us do one over!
10 x 100 SDK w/ fins @ 1:25 (went 1:15-1:18s)
Coach could tell that a lot of the kids were tired, and decided not to kill us tonight, but instead work on stroke drills for freestyle for the better part of the final hour. Kicking and body position was a big focus of the drills.
We did 50s and 25s mixed on coaches sendoff of:
(1500ish worth of stuff - didn't exactly count yard by yard)
- 8kick/3 stroke/8 kick, focusing on keeping our ear on our arms as we rotate for breathing, as to "hide" the breath and not lift the head for a breath
- Breathing every stroke, left/right/left/right with same breathing style of hiding the breath, while maintaining kick. I rocked this Sun Yang style.
- Next was a Popov freestyle drill, breathing every stroke. Freestyle with a short pause while your lead hand is in the "catch", and your recover arm is elbow high with hand dangling in front of face. After the pause, pull with the lead hand and drive forward rolling with the hips. Must maintain kick in this to do correctly.
- Many variations of the above drill
- 3 stroke and 5 stroke breathing w/ speed, and maintaining the hidden breath and not "losing the kick" on the breath.
- 25s FAST working on the transition from the SDK to the flutter kick and powering through the breakout, then focusing on the above body positioning to the finish.
Kids have a meet in Yakima this weekend, but it had a cap of 19 years old for the entries, so luckily I get to stay home this weekend. A little R & R is good. We'll have a pretty easy practice tomorrow night, and I'll probably go for a solo lap swim session Saturday or Sunday at the Y pool.