4 x 50 free w/paddles @ 200 pace
50 EZ
4 x 25 burst + cruise
100 EZ

Main Sets:

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins, 23 low
150 EZ

Did a Salo modified set from Workout #1 on the HIT forum:
[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21584"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. I realize I gave myself easier intervals ...

5 x (50 + 50 + [4 x 25] + 50) w/fins
1st 50 = smooth backstroke @ 1:00
2nd 50 = burst dolphin kick + cruise @ 1:30
25s = AFAP, broken for :15, total time 3:00
3rd 50 = EZ @ 1:30
1 = fly, :46
2 = backstroke kick (only under 15m), :49
3 = breast, :58
4 = IM, :49-50 flat
5 = breast, :58

100 EZ

5 x 50 swim w/parachute @ 1:30

100 EZ

Total: 3600

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I really like the Salo set, though it was painful with not much recovery. That's my LP workout for the week. :-) I feel like I have lost some hypoxic conditioning. It was a struggle to stay under on fly and back. Next recovery workout I'm doing a good 30 minutes of hypoxic work. For some reason, 30 minutes sticks in my head as what Eddie Reese recommends to quickly boost CO2 tolerance.

Of interest to me, as my chiro uses kinesiotape:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...ength-and.html

More on compression garments & recovery:
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...-recovery.html

Submit "Monday, Nov. 5" to Digg Submit "Monday, Nov. 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Nov. 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Nov. 5" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I really like the Salo set
    All the sudden I felt the need to read your workout to see how you did on the 3x300s.

Next recovery workout I'm doing a good 30 minutes of hypoxic work. For some reason, 30 minutes sticks in my head as what Eddie Reese recommends to quickly boost CO2 tolerance.
    I don't understand hypoxic conditioning and for the most part disagree that it has any place in training outside a AFAP swims. Yet it is common and defended by swimmers faster than me. Maybe my problem is that I cannot turn over fast enough to create the oxygen demands that would make a no breath 50 sprint difficult for me? That would explain you with a turn over twice mine, but would not explain pwb with a turn over half mine.

The answer is probably 42, but I will continue to think on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I don't understand hypoxic conditioning and for the most part disagree that it has any place in training outside a AFAP swims.
    I too think it largely has no place except for race pace simulation breathing swims. But I'm not sure you need to do race simulation distances ALL AFAP. I am happy to do full or broken 100s dolphin kick for my 100 fly or 100 back slower than race pace on a recovery day and think it has some carry over. I do so much AFAP work, that I sometimes prefer being uncomfortable at a slower pace and focusing on the discomfort of not breathing rather than the discomfort of swimming 100%.

I would never do any of the 3-5-7-9 breathing patterns that are so commonly assigned. I always breath every stroke in free unless swimming at race pace. If I was more focused on free, however, I would focus more on doing AFAP 50s with less than 2 breaths. I don't think I should really have to take 2 breaths in a 25 second race; I'm just super uncomfortable not taking them.

42?

I am small for a sprinter and need a faster turnover than you and pwb. Teen Fort (my same measly 5'4") was remarking at the Sprint Classic as to how all the fast women here were so very tall (all 5'10"-6'1"). I've gotten sort of used to it over the years, I guess. Slower turnover is a luxury of the tall.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I too think it largely has no place except for race pace simulation breathing swims. But I'm not sure you need to do race simulation distances ALL AFAP. I am happy to do full or broken 100s dolphin kick for my 100 fly or 100 back slower than race pace on a recovery day and think it has some carry over. I do so much AFAP work, that I sometimes prefer being uncomfortable at a slower pace and focusing on the discomfort of not breathing rather than the discomfort of swimming 100%.

I would never do any of the 3-5-7-9 breathing patterns that are so commonly assigned. I always breath every stroke in free unless swimming at race pace. If I was more focused on free, however, I would focus more on doing AFAP 50s with less than 2 breaths. I don't think I should really have to take 2 breaths in a 25 second race; I'm just super uncomfortable not taking them.
    Can you share this with Paul?

He has us do both short/fast swims with no breaths, which make sense.
    But then he also assigns those long, mindless 3-5-7-9 type swim sets, or even pull.

I think the coach just enjoys seeing the swimmers suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Can you share this with Paul?

He has us do both short/fast swims with no breaths, which make sense.
    But then he also assigns those long, mindless 3-5-7-9 type swim sets, or even pull.

I think the coach just enjoys seeing the swimmers suffer.
    Well, Paul has more of a distance focus. It seems like Laura always runs the sprint group. You should ask him why he assigns those breathing pattern sets. It seems like most swimmers breathe every stroke in races 200 and over these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    42?
    The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.