View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Parboiled

Rate this Entry
I swam at Riverbank this morning with Rondi and Hannah. The pool was uncrowded, but very warm. Here’s what I did:

1000 lcm warmup

200s set
3 x 200 descend @ :10 rest
100 kick
2 x 200 steady pace @ :10 rest
100 kick
1 x 200 fast
100 kick

I was thoroughly wilted by the end of this set, even though I took my cap off for the kicking. I decided that trying to swim hard in water that hot just wasn’t being any fun, so after a few aimless 100s to cool down I regrouped and did about 40 minutes of balance drills and play for the rest of the session.

(On a Goldilocks note: today's team email announced that one of TNYA's pools, at Baruch college, will be re-opening this week after having been damaged in the storm--but that the water temp there is currently 72! If only I could average out there and Riverbank I would be set . . .)

Submit "Parboiled" to Digg Submit "Parboiled" to del.icio.us Submit "Parboiled" to StumbleUpon Submit "Parboiled" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

72 is too cold for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    72 is too cold for you?
    72 = warmer than I'd like for an ocean swim, but a little chilly for a pool workout. Go figure!

(but given a choice between 72 and 86, I know which I'd choose . . .)
    (but given a choice between 72 and 86, I know which I'd choose . . .)
    Yea, me too... the showers.
    How is the air temp in the building at Riverbank?

We don't have much of a choice here in the summer, water temps can get to near 90, and it is rather dreadful swimming in the evening.
    But I remember swimming at the Phoenix Swim Club once in Nov, their heater was having issues and water was in the upper 80s. Yea it wasn't totally pleasant, but with cooler air temps (I think 60-70) it was still tolerable.

72 is a bit brisk for me for a pool. I rarely wear a cap, but I may survive with a cap and extra suit. I remember swimming in a 74 degree pool once, the coach modified the workout for more distance and it was ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Yea, me too... the showers.
    Ha! The showers today were indeed just right!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    How is the air temp in the building at Riverbank?

We don't have much of a choice here in the summer, water temps can get to near 90, and it is rather dreadful swimming in the evening.
    But I remember swimming at the Phoenix Swim Club once in Nov, their heater was having issues and water was in the upper 80s. Yea it wasn't totally pleasant, but with cooler air temps (I think 60-70) it was still tolerable.

72 is a bit brisk for me for a pool. I rarely wear a cap, but I may survive with a cap and extra suit. I remember swimming in a 74 degree pool once, the coach modified the workout for more distance and it was ok.
    The air at RB tends to be hot too. It's frustrating because it's one of the rare NYC pools that has big windows, so you can see the crisp fall day, not to mention the refreshingly cool Hudson, while you're swimming around in the heat indoors. Today the pool was the perfect temp for standing around and chatting and admiring the sunny view!

If this lasts I might have to cut my hair as short as yours so I can go capless.