View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

SCM Meet Report, Sunday, Nov. 18

Rate this Entry
by , November 18th, 2012 at 05:54 PM (1103 Views)
The SCM Festival was festive! First off, I have to note that this may be the least rest I've ever had for a meet. I did a weight + sprint double on Tuesday and rested 3 days. My legs felt decidedly un-fresh. Plus, I swam all 5 events, no scratches, for the first time in years. I am extremely pleased with the results.

50 breast, 38.2

Fast start; good length UW. I had a bit of a glide into the turn which killed some momentum. But otherwise a solid swim for a fake evilstroker. This is the same time I did last year at BU fully tapered, though I've been training better this fall. Teen Fort, the family evilstroker, said my stroke was "ugly." Well, yes, I just power through it.

200 mixed medley relay (160-199), 2:03.5, 1st (split request for 50 back, 30.6)

I swam the backstroke leg on the relay and went 30.6. Coach Cheryl said I flat backed the start and I could feel that. And unaccustomed to SCM flags on backstroke, I had a slightly glidey turn and very glidey finish, should have taken an extra stroke. Teen Fort claimed I killed her "sexy relay start." I was expecting possibly a second slower, so was thrilled with this time! It's only .1 off my WR. Definitely faster than the 27.8 I swam at the Sprint Classic even with the glidey bits. I put in a split request, so if anything goes awry in Boston, I have a speedy time for the year. This was my best swim of the meet, for sure.

This same relay time was #1 in the nation last year, so I think we'll stack up fairly well. Legs hurting after ... Spending 3/4 of the race UW does take a toll.

100 breast, 1:24+

This is my virgin 100 breast in SCM. It only took me 8 years of masters swimming to make the attempt. I may not have except that I had a third SCM meet this year. The race seemed to go pretty well until the last half length when my body suddenly felt paralytic and I limped to the wall. Speedo could tell from the stands I had nuthin at the end. Still, I am super happy with this time; it would have been FINA TT last year. I honestly thought I'd go my entry time of 1:27 based on my 1:29 in long course. At this juncture, my body was thinking it might be done having swum the usual 3 events. But onward. I had a fairly decent break before the next relay and had a cup of coffee. Teen Fort has not yet learned the wonders of coffee. I'm predicting college will change that.

Mixed 200 free relay (160-199), 1:52+, 1st

Coach Cheryl had us swim fastest to slowest, telling Teen Fort (who was reluctantly anchoring) that she "had her reasons." Certainly, it's easier to swim with clear water. This turned out to be a great race. Speedo led off with a blazing 25.1 -- proving that his extended taper was spot on. Teen Fort had to hold off a fast closing speedy guy. I wasn't sure she could do it, but she claimed the win for us by less than .1. I shocked myself by splitting a 27.8 with an ultra flat splatty start. I took an extra breath on the first 25 and my legs felt tiiiired, though Speedo confirmed I was, in fact, kicking hard. I did peek at the wall this time and felt like I had a very good turn and breakout. Psyched to swim this event tapered! I might have two chances at NE Champs.

We should be in the mix on this relay too.

400 medley relay (160-199), 4:42, 1st

I'm not sure anyone was looking forward to this relay besides Teen Fort. Well, Speedo pretended to get fired up. I had guesttimated to Coach Cheryl a couple days ago that I would likely go a 1:13 split as the 5th event of the day. I took it out very cautiously, could not stay under as long as usual due to leg fatigue and clocked in at 1:12. It was just a workmanlike-workout effort. Teen Fort thought I was completely loafing. Ah, the conceit of youth. They don't understand the effect of 5 events on an unrested drop dead 50+ sprinter. Speedo had a blazing anchor leg (55) on the end, closely after having thrown down a 29 in the 50 back. It may have helped that the computers went completely on the fritz during the event preceeding the relay, causing a mini delay of meet.

Complete failure to warm down after this event.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All in all, it was an extremely good meet. My relay mates were awesome, I clocked some good times and had the requisite post meet beer and protein. It was fantastic to see our teammate Bob Hansen back in the pool competing. I am now really ready for a nap or vegetation. Legs are screaming, the couch is beckoning and I'm getting hungry again. I need to train hard next week, but tomorrow may have to be a recovery day in the pool.

The Little Devil Roddin, who swam a beautiful 100 IM himself, reminded me that I really need to swim the 100 IM more. Yes, I do.

Speedo went on a pub crawl Saturday and then swam lights out today. What does this say about beer and swimming?

Teen Fort had a very good meet, especially after being sick for a week. She smoked me in the evil events, so can continue to mock my stroke. She woke up 5 minutes before we left the house after I had been up an hour. How does one wake up in 5 minutes?!

Submit "SCM Meet Report, Sunday, Nov. 18" to Digg Submit "SCM Meet Report, Sunday, Nov. 18" to del.icio.us Submit "SCM Meet Report, Sunday, Nov. 18" to StumbleUpon Submit "SCM Meet Report, Sunday, Nov. 18" to Google

Updated November 18th, 2012 at 09:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice swimming today, Leslie. This bodes well for Boston for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Nice swimming today, Leslie. This bodes well for Boston for sure!

You too!

I saw Carolyn went a 28.4 in the 50 free, so I need a blazing no mistakes swim there. One mistake in a 50 and that can negate the benefit of a taper.
    Very nice swims today!! So 8 years for the 100 breast, will it be 20 more years before a 200 breast?

Teen Fort thought I was completely loafing. Ah, the conceit of youth. They don't understand the effect of 5 events on an unrested drop dead 50+ sprinter.
    I felt your pain today at my USAS meet. Being 35 when all my competition is 15-17 is the same effect. I'm recovering (dying) in my chair after races, and the kids are just running around, playing, joking, having fun. I'm having fun too, but it takes more effort.
    Great meet Leslie. How r ur shoulders
    Great swimming! I was really surprised to see that you didn't scratch a single event

I think tapering is way overrated. I've done my best times at swim meets with little to no taper.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Very nice swims today!! So 8 years for the 100 breast, will it be 20 more years before a 200 breast?

I felt your pain today at my USAS meet. Being 35 when all my competition is 15-17 is the same effect. I'm recovering (dying) in my chair after races, and the kids are just running around, playing, joking, having fun. I'm having fun too, but it takes more effort.
    Say what? 200 evil?! Not a chance. I rarely even swam that as a kid. And I have no business swimming it now.

Kids have no idea ... Teen Fort said she was tired, but was then runnung around, studying and off seeing her boyfriend. I'm pretty plastered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Great meet Leslie. How r ur shoulders
    Thx!

After 5 months of pain and 3 rounds of PRP, the left shoulder is vastly better. I will probably always have to baby it though. The right shoulder has never given me a moment of pain. So far, knock on wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great swimming! I was really surprised to see that you didn't scratch a single event

I think tapering is way overrated. I've done my best times at swim meets with little to no taper.
    Thx Tim!

But have you ever done a real taper? Unless you've done a 10 day-3 week taper, I'm not sure you can know. Some rest has to help, especially as we age.

Well, I couldn't scratch the relays and I wanted the breaststroke times. But I am beat now.
    I swam all 5 events, no scratches
    Now, I've seen everything.

Great swimming. I'll remind myself to never gridge you in a 50 back!
    Congrats, I think you are now officially faster in the 50 free than I am. As soon as I am done with vacation, I will have to take swimming a little more serious again.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Now, I've seen everything.

Great swimming. I'll remind myself to never gridge you in a 50 back!
    I know! I usually intentionally enter an extra event to give me some wiggle room depending on what I'm in the mood to swim.

Teen Fort was still saying before the meet that it was "dishonorable" to scratch. But she did skip the 100 IM this time, though she only entered it in case we didn't have relays.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Congrats, I think you are now officially faster in the 50 free than I am. As soon as I am done with vacation, I will have to take swimming a little more serious again.
    It was a relay start, but I was still happy with it.

Are you on vacation this week? Where?
    Excellent swimming, Leslie! On target for BU
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are you on vacation this week? Where?
    I meant my perpetual vacation

November will be the 3rd month this year where I did not take any trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Excellent swimming, Leslie! On target for BU
    Thanks Mike! Ready for the gridge!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I meant my perpetual vacation

November will be the 3rd month this year where I did not take any trips.
    Consistent vacations = happiness

Consistent training = fast swimming. The cumulative effect of consistent training is huge.