View RSS Feed

Ande's Swimming Blog

Mon Nov 21, 2012

Rate this Entry
Mon Nov 21, 2012

12 days till SCM meet

Wedge starting blocks just arrived at the UT Swim Center, they are not installed yet and require new holes drilled in the deck

Swam & Lifted on Sat didn't blog
Didn't swim Sun
Plan to lift today or tomorrow

Made a last minute trip to SA yesterday to see a friend and went to bed late. Decided to sleep in some fro practice.

Whitney coached
SCY UT Swim Center diving well
5:00 - 6:30 dove around 5:55
Swam with Todd
beside Larry, Gull, Sloan, & Keith,

Warm up
Missed it

Main Set

assigned 20 x 200
4 on 2:40
1:00 rest
1 strong

did: I'm tapering and dove in on #14
so I swam easy and stayed out of the way on 14 & 15 then picked up the pace a bit but stuck with easy speed 150's

Showed up again for Noon practice
warmed up with Jim & Dale
then swam and kicked easy
did a few easy speed 25's

Next Meets:

Sat Dec 1, 2012 - Sun Dec 2nd
2012 South Central SCM Reg Championships
DAYS TILL

2013 South Central SCY Zone Championships
Fri Apr 5 - Sun Apr 7
UT Austin, TX

Submit "Mon Nov 21, 2012" to Digg Submit "Mon Nov 21, 2012" to del.icio.us Submit "Mon Nov 21, 2012" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mon Nov 21, 2012" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I envy teams like yours with noon practices. Now I envy your starting blocks too.

What events are you swimming at your taper meet?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I envy teams like yours with noon practices.
    Main Set

assigned 20 x 200
    Selective envy I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Selective envy I think.
    I'm good with the skip and modify!

Plus, I think doing one aerobic workout a week might not be a bad thing. Just can't seem to do it on my own. Of course, I haven't tried lately either.
    Hey Fort,
    noon sometimes works way better than early, though I don't mind 6:00 to 7:30 start times, 5:30 or 5:00 can be rough
    The swim centers new starting blocks are in at the north end, south aren't up yet. I dove off them this morning. The grip tape is coarser. Come to 2013 SCY Zones in April

"What events are you swimming at your taper meet?"
    I will swim
    several relays
    all IM's
    50's & maybe the 4 fr, 8 fr, & 1 fl though I might drop those last 3, just gave myself a few choices to make at the meet.

I'm all over modify & skip.

On aerobic practices, it just depends what your goals are. I think it's good to mix up practice types from day to day and even go with themes based on how much time I have before my focus meets. I love to have speed for sprints along with the ability to do longer races, split them right and finish fast.

I'm curious to see how Michael Andrew, 13 develops since he primarily did & does high intensity training.
    His recent 200's were pretty good 1:55 IM & 2:07 BR
    his 50 was a very impressive 20.9 but his 100 was only 47.6
    Can't think of any swimmer who's ever done H.I. training from the get go.
    with just HIT training he may never build the kind of base necessary to crank then 2nd half of long course 100's & 200s. On the other hand, Phelps at 14, was extremely fit and developed an amazing base.