View RSS Feed

slick's shoulder surgery blog

Rough nights

Rate this Entry
by , November 20th, 2012 at 03:26 PM (293 Views)
So things are definitely a bit more uncomfortable these days. The first 4 days after surgery were a breeze, but since starting PT on day 5 post-surgery, things have been more difficult. Makes sense, since things are healing and I'm supposed to be moving my arm around more. That combined with cutting back on the pain meds will do it. And I think its not really the passive exercises themselves which are killing me at this point....its just that doing them along with other small daily tasks (like typing this) has my shoulder very sore and tired by the end of the day. I only have enough shoulder/arm energy for so much right now.

Sleeping has still been rough the past few nights. I'll wake up in the middle of the night either with sharp/shooting pains or because my arm muscles are twitching like crazy. I'm not sure if its because my arm wants to move (I'm required to sleep in the shoulder brace) or if I'm not positioning myself correctly in the bed, but least to say the nights are becoming troublesome. But as soon as I get up and start moving around and get the blood flowing, the pain disappears rather quickly. As of now I've cut way back on pain meds during the day but I'm still taking full doses before bed. For a few nights now I've woken up during the middle of the night and taken a 1/2 dose to help with the pain at night.

At the moment I have a love/hate relationship with my shoulder brace. Last week after the surgery, I couldn't stand being in it most of the time. It was very uncomfortable to NOT move my arm a little bit...very similar to what I experienced when I first dislocated it. My doc said that it was OK to leave it off as long as I was just sitting at home on my couch doing nothing....and since I did just that for most of last week I had the brace off for several of my waking hours. Now its a little different - since starting PT and with my arm being so sore/tired now, it now feels more comfortable to have it on at times, lol.

Boredom is beginning to set in and I'm starting to feel antsy. The internet is only entertaining for so long lol. They said I could go back to work after one week (desk job) but at the same time I don't see how anyone could be ready after one week. I mean, just yesterday I woke up, ate breakfast, read the news, and was so tired that I went back to bed for another 3 hours lol. There hasn't been a day yet since the surgery where I haven't needed a 2+ hour nap sometime during the day. I'm scheduled to go back to work starting in December (3 weeks post-surgery) but I might go back earlier after the Thanksgiving holiday....we'll see. The thing about work is that there's a gym there. Its been so crappy outside the last few days so there's been no dog walking. Just thinking about how nice a indoor treadmill would be at this point....

I can feel the mental game starting too....whenever I get the least bit frustrated I have to remind myself that a) things are supposed to hurt right now; b) its only been just over a week; c) this is a long-term process and d) I should cut myself some slack. Repeat, repeat, repeat lol.

Headed home for the holiday and while my appetite isn't quite back up to par yet, I'm looking forward to some pumpkin pie

Submit "Rough nights" to Digg Submit "Rough nights" to del.icio.us Submit "Rough nights" to StumbleUpon Submit "Rough nights" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments