View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Tues, Nov. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
Tonight was a very crowded pool, and it doesn't look like things are going to get much better for most of the winter season. We've got a pretty large team, and just don't have the pool space/time to better split up the groups any. As we have it now, our Black group (older kids) have 3 lanes (sometimes 4 depending on the attendance of the White group) every evening, but now that the high school girls are now all back from their "vacation" after the h.s. season, it's getting nuts in practice! We swam tonight with 7 in my lane, 8 in lane 5, and 8 or 9 in lane 4. It was like a washing machine practice out there!!


Warmup:

600 (25 Breast, 25 Front Scull, 25 V-Sit Scull, 25 Free)
(600/600)

Kick Set

10 x 100 Kick w/ short fins @ 1:25 (did SDK on back like always), tried not to drown

20 x 25 w/ short fins @ 1:00 FAST
  • Odds SDK underwater no breathers
  • Evens -first 5 Fly, second 5 Free
100 EZ
(2100/2700)

Main Set:

10 x 100 Free @ 1:25 best average
went 1:01-1:05, mainly 1:03/:04s
100 EZ

7 x 100 Free @ 1:20 best average
went 1:02-1:06, mainly 1:05s
100 EZ

4 x 100 Free @ 1:15 best average
went 1:02/1:04/1:03/1:01 these were actually easier on my body with the shorter rest interval, I just get in a zone and go with it.
100 EZ

(2400/5100)

400 Kick w/ board

600 Free stretch out

--------------------
6100 Yards - I'm tired now, but did make it to Taco Bell after practice for a little 4th meal action tonight.


That main set kicked my butt, and I'm sure most of it was the fact that we were so crowded in the pool tonight. John had everyone leaving 3 seconds apart so that the lead person in each lane wouldn't be running in to the last person in the lanes on the 2nd 50s of the 100s. All the wave action probably added a few seconds to our times as well, though I still managed to do pretty good anyway.

Submit "Tues, Nov. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Tues, Nov. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues, Nov. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues, Nov. 27, 2012 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

  1. qbrain's Avatar
    The wave slow down was probably offset by the drafts that even the lead swimmer was catching.
  2. ekw's Avatar
    I do not miss having crowded lanes. Where I swim, I have had to split a lane maybe three times. On the other hand, I really think I would like to have an attentive coach, but unless I went with the age group thing that's not really an option here. I suppose I could drive across the bay on Saturdays to practice with the masters team there, but I don't really feel like making a 60 mile round trip.
  3. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    The wave slow down was probably offset by the drafts that even the lead swimmer was catching.
    Believe me, I had no drafts as the lead swimmer. I was plowing the road. With the 3 seconds differentials, the tail end swimmer was only 20+ seconds behind me to start, so I had no chance of remotely catching her on second 50.
  4. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I do not miss having crowded lanes. Where I swim, I have had to split a lane maybe three times. On the other hand, I really think I would like to have an attentive coach, but unless I went with the age group thing that's not really an option here. I suppose I could drive across the bay on Saturdays to practice with the masters team there, but I don't really feel like making a 60 mile round trip.
    This is a nice convenience for me, that's for sure, but I'm paying for it, quite a bit more than I would be for the masters group. Thing is, I can't make the masters group's practices due to my early work schedule, and it's not worth my time to continually battle the "non-swimmers" at YMCA lap swim times. That can be a headache beyond belief at times!!
  5. ekw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    This is a nice convenience for me, that's for sure, but I'm paying for it, quite a bit more than I would be for the masters group. Thing is, I can't make the masters group's practices due to my early work schedule, and it's not worth my time to continually battle the "non-swimmers" at YMCA lap swim times. That can be a headache beyond belief at times!!
    Right now I pay $0 for my masters team (aside from national membership, meet entries, etc.) and $10/month to use the Rec. It would be hard to beat that. I can't really afford what the age group team would cost right now, if I wanted to do that. So solo practices it is!
  6. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Right now I pay $0 for my masters team (aside from national membership, meet entries, etc.) and $10/month to use the Rec. It would be hard to beat that. I can't really afford what the age group team would cost right now, if I wanted to do that. So solo practices it is!
    We were at that rate for masters for years here in town ($0), until the unfortunate accident at the h.s. pool last year during a P.E. class. Now the pool has to have 2 guards on duty and other regs that all the user groups are now paying for. It's all good though, and something that should've been in place years ago...which probably would've saved that boy's life.
  7. ekw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    We were at that rate for masters for years here in town ($0), until the unfortunate accident at the h.s. pool last year during a P.E. class. Now the pool has to have 2 guards on duty and other regs that all the user groups are now paying for. It's all good though, and something that should've been in place years ago...which probably would've saved that boy's life.
    Yeah, it's definitely a good thing and unfortunately implemented too late. We just swim during normal pool hours, except for one weekend a month, so the guards are covered. Right now the aquatics director is funding the guard for the monthly weekend practice before the regular pool hours from the birthday party pool rental money, I think.