View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Sun, Dec. 2, 2012 USAS Meet Results Day 2 - Wenatchee

Rate this Entry
In hindsight...I should've not even gone to the meet today. 2nd days of events like this just aren't the same as when we were younger.

I again did the standard team warmup:

600 Free
3 x 200 IM (stroke down/Free back)
4 x 50 @ 1:00 EZ/Fast
2 x Dive 25s

After this I just went into relaxation mode, and used a 2 hour+ window to sit down with my laptop and update the records for the Inland NW SCM records that were broken (I'm still waiting for a full update of the NW Zone SCM records from the NW Zone meet in October) <-- That Guy?? any help here? I can weed through them, but it'll take time.

Finally, my events:

200 Free - 1:57.61 - 2nd place
26.8/29.9/30.2/30.5
My legs were just tired and hurt on the second 100 of this race. I figure that's the "getting old" part of me kicking in.

200 Breast - 2:34.15 - 1st place
35.5/39.0/39.8/39.0
Beat the 12 year old girl on our team my less than a second! but paid for it too...
I did alright on this race, tried to stretch it out a bit, and increase the turnover near the end. Overall it was a bit slow, and afterward I had a little soreness on my left side groin area.

After cooldown and sitting in the chair for a while, the pain began to get a little more pronounced. ouchy.
I talked with John about it, and I may have overdone it a little. I told him I'd give the next race a shot, plus do the relay as well (since we had 7 relays in the 13&Over age group, and I didn't want him to have to rewrite all of them if not needed).

100 Back - 1:06.03 - 4th place
32.9/33.1
That's gotta be the most even split back race I've ever done!! Granted I didn't exactly explode off the wall for my start, and didn't kick too much either. I was hurting for sure, and after this race we made the final decision to scratch my remaining races for the day.

50 Free anchor leg on the 200 Free Relay - not sure on the split, but John thinks it was 22-high/23-low. The team from Moses Lake had a 5 yard lead on us when I dove in, and their 4th swimmer wasn't the greatest out there, so I knew we had a shot to possibly catch him. I gave it all I had, good relay exchange, 1 breath down, 1 breath back, but just couldn't quite catch him. It was fun though! Relays get me pumped, especially for these kind of situations.

100 Fly - SCRATCH

50 Free - SCRATCH

My first two races I've skipped out on since returning to swimming. Oh well, no sense in hurting myself, right? Now I just need to ice and rest my injury, unless I can find a good massage therapist.

Submit "Sun, Dec. 2, 2012 USAS Meet Results Day 2 - Wenatchee" to Digg Submit "Sun, Dec. 2, 2012 USAS Meet Results Day 2 - Wenatchee" to del.icio.us Submit "Sun, Dec. 2, 2012 USAS Meet Results Day 2 - Wenatchee" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sun, Dec. 2, 2012 USAS Meet Results Day 2 - Wenatchee" to Google

Comments

50 Free - SCRATCH
    You skipped a 50? Was the flip turn too much for you?

Nice 200 free time but an all out 50 free followed by holding on is not an optimal splitting strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You skipped a 50? Was the flip turn too much for you?
    Just trying to be like the best of them (Fort)

Nice 200 free time but an all out 50 free followed by holding on is not an optimal splitting strategy.
    Where was the nice 200 Free time? that was one of my worst races ever, and by no means was the first 50 all out.

It was just a rough day all over, and I have to let my body heal now.
    You're right -- you should have scratched everything today!!!

Seriously, though, it was wise that you did scratch the last couple. A groin injury can take a very long time to heal. Ask any evilstroker.

Good show this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You're right -- you should have scratched everything today!!!

Seriously, though, it was wise that you did scratch the last couple. A groin injury can take a very long time to heal. Ask any evilstroker.

Good show this weekend.
    Thanks Leslie! At least I have someone's blessing! While it is fun to act like a kid, sometimes it's just not possible, and I have to remember that.
    Definitely scratching was the right decision. You still got in a good amount of racing for any sane person!
    Very impressive! Looks like all your hard work with the young BIG fish is paying off. That is a lot of racing. Back to the real world now. Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    50 Free anchor leg on the 200 Free Relay - not sure on the split, but John thinks it was 22-high/23-low
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Very impressive! Looks like all your hard work with the young BIG fish is paying off. That is a lot of racing. Back to the real world now. Congrats.
    Thanks Joel, it really is paying off with all the work I'm doing. I just can't wait till taper time, since I'm basically hitting my best or near best times right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Relays make me go fast, especially in a race like this one. Just a standard 50 Free - I don't get too excited over.