View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

PRs, 50 and 100 SCY... GTD update

Rate this Entry
by , December 2nd, 2012 at 11:31 PM (446 Views)
So, I'm much more of an endurance junkie, but I also know that I have to mix in sprint work every now and again to be able to hold faster times for longer distances. Friday I had intended to do an easy 2-3,000 yards. I did a bunch of drills and some easy freestyle, then my friend Scotty showed up. He was doing some interval 200s and was starting to struggle, so I decided to pace him a bit. I did the last 100 with him (that's about how far I can keep up with him when he's doing his fast 200s. We finished right about the same time and he said "whoa, you're flying... what's up?" I didn't really think anything of it, but he said our split for that 100 was about 1:20. That's really fast for me. On his next 200 I told him I would swim the first 100 and the last 50 with him. I came in at 1:18, a new PR for me. Anyway, I managed to help motivate him through the rest of his set and get some unexpected speed work in; it was fun. I finished the day with 3000 yards.

Saturday, I swam a slow 5000... my distance day. I probably came in at 90 minutes.

Today, feeling a little stiff from the last few days, I went in to swim some EZ freestyle just to loosen up. I met Scotty again and since we're doing the WI Masters SCM meet next Saturday he agreed to help me with my starts. Now that I have the flip turns down it is time to add the final piece so that I don't embarrass myself too badly at my first meet. I've never gone off the blocks before at the pool (and I haven't started from any blocks whatsoever since my high school track days--25 years ago this spring!). Scotty was really good about giving me pointers, so now I'm not as intimidated by going off the blocks. I decided I wanted to know what the difference in time might be between going off the blocks and a push start, so we timed a 50 free. I came off the blocks OK, nothing spectacular (but no belly flop either) and nailed the flip turn at the other end... other than that I just tried to relax and keep my turn over high. I hit the wall and Scotty said :31. That's five seconds faster than my fastest 50 free (that I can remember), so I was pretty stoked about that. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do in the meet with a racing start off the blocks.

GTD: I'm at more than 496 miles for the year now. Still in the top 20 for age group and closing in on the 500-mile goal!

Submit "PRs, 50 and 100 SCY... GTD update" to Digg Submit "PRs, 50 and 100 SCY... GTD update" to del.icio.us Submit "PRs, 50 and 100 SCY... GTD update" to StumbleUpon Submit "PRs, 50 and 100 SCY... GTD update" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Awesome!
    Good luck with your first upcoming meet, and congrats on one day very soon reaching 500 miles!
    Great to see that you are working all phases of the swim for this weekend's race. Stay relaxed and have fun!
    Thanks for the support guys! I'm at 498.xx miles right now, so I should cross the 500-mile threshold with today's swim practice... I'll blog about it later this evening.