View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Tues, Dec. 4, 2012 7:10-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
I arrived a bit late today after my son's lessons running over a bit, but that's all good. I only missed the warmup. Who needs a bunch of random sculling drills anyway?

My warmup:

Did 100 Yards Free while they finished up warmup
(100/100)

16 x 25 Underwater SDK w/ fins (I didn't use any fins) @ 1:00
(400/500)

We were divided into 3 separate lanes, and each lane had a different set of approximately the same total time to complete. We were separate by John to the lanes he thought would suit each of us best.

I'm calling this the "Main Set":

(My lane)
4 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:07-1:06s)
4 x 100 Free @ 1:25 (1:06-1:05s)
2 min. rest - this was his "Jedi mind trick". The kids were so happy for the rest, I knew the rest would just let the lactate settle into our muscles making the next 8 feel great.
4 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (1:06-1:05s)
4 x 100 Free @ 1:15 (1:05/1:04/1:04/1:01)

200 EZ
(1800/2300)

3 x 300 Free Pull @ LIFO + 1:00 aim for HR of 27beats/10sec.
(went 3:25ish)
(900/3200)

10 x 100 Kick w/ fins @ 1:25 (I did ~10 x 75s Kick w/o fins @ 1:25ish
(700/3900)

16 x 50 (3 Fly, 1 Free, 3 Back, 1 Free, etc.)
  • Drill, Build, Sprint, Sprint Free w/ "overkick" on each group of 4
(800/4700)

4 x 25 Free AFAP @ 1:00

200 EZ

--------------------
5000 Yards

Not a bad workout overall. It didn't seem like a lot when we were doing it, but it added up in the end.
I'm leaning toward heading down to Oregon at the end of the month to visit my grandparents again, and throw in a little Animal Meet action in Canby as well. It's where I used to asst. coach USAS back after college for about 4 years. I like the pool, though others have a dislike to the typical warmer temperature there. I'll do the distance version of the program if I do go down: 400 IM, 200 Fly, 1000 Free...right down my alley!

Submit "Tues, Dec. 4, 2012 7:10-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Tues, Dec. 4, 2012 7:10-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues, Dec. 4, 2012 7:10-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues, Dec. 4, 2012 7:10-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

That meet sounds like fun, for certain values of fun. And I am pro going to Oregon whenever possible - though that's a lot easier for you than it is for me. My dad's family is from Oregon and we always vacationed there. I almost went to college there. My brother lives in Bend now and my parents will retire there, if my mom can ever convince my dad to retire.
    That's both an awesome meet idea and cool timing. The swimming world seems so dead between about Dec 15th and mid-January ... I'm always bummed that my wife has multiple options for a new year's day (or eve) running races, but there are never swim meet options for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    The swimming world seems so dead between about Dec 15th and mid-January
    It does. I was a little disappointed to find out the Washington Open meet that's Jan. 17-20 in Federal Way will be done SCY this year. Sometimes it's long course and I think that would be fun to do in the middle of the winter!
    That's both an awesome meet idea and cool timing. The swimming world seems so dead between about Dec 15th and mid-January.
    I was excited about a relay meet in Louisiana on January 5th, since I have a team now... but it's the same day as my cousin's wedding and they sort of expect me there.
    That's both an awesome meet idea and cool timing. The swimming world seems so dead between about Dec 15th and mid-January ... I'm always bummed that my wife has multiple options for a new year's day (or eve) running races, but there are never swim meet options for me.
    The team I used to coach for, Canby Swim Club, always ran this meet for the USAS kids, as an Animal Meet, and Animal Meet Jr. (for the 12 & unders). Someone got the idea for an Animal Meet Masters and it took off. THey give out trophies to the fastest male/female in each distance category as well (the reason I'm possibly going...for the bling!)
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    It does. I was a little disappointed to find out the Washington Open meet that's Jan. 17-20 in Federal Way will be done SCY this year. Sometimes it's long course and I think that would be fun to do in the middle of the winter!
    HAY KRK LOOKA THIS http://msabc.ca/files/2013Victoria.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Hmm, very interesting!